Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Key Not Detected Message

Old 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Not Detected Message

Hi,

first time poster. I recently purchased a 2018 Q7 3.0 Prestige. Today, I was driving and got a message that stated that the car key was not detected and whether the key is in the car. The message went away quickly but made me nervous that my car may shut down as I'm driving?

Has anyone gotten a message like this before?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marker10
Hi,

first time poster. I recently purchased a 2018 Q7 3.0 Prestige. Today, I was driving and got a message that stated that the car key was not detected and whether the key is in the car. The message went away quickly but made me nervous that my car may shut down as I'm driving?

I’ve gotten the message once, make sure your fob and cell phone aren’t in the same pocket or on top of each other wherever you keep them when Driving, the cell phone and fob don’t play nice together. Also the vehicle will not shut down when it can’t find the fob, you can throw it out the window and keep driving till you shut it off or run out of gas.

Welcome Aboard!!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy

I’ve gotten the message once, make sure your fob and cell phone aren’t in the same pocket or on top of each other wherever you keep them when Driving, the cell phone and fob don’t play nice together. Also the vehicle will not shut down when it can’t find the fob, you can throw it out the window and keep driving till you shut it off or run out of gas.

Welcome Aboard!!
I wondered what would happen if you drove away without your fob.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by marker10
Hi,

Welcome to the forum..

Even though you recently purchased your Q7 it is possible your fob has a bad battery.. Replace the battery and see if that works..
Old 08-21-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tigercat74

I wondered what would happen if you drove away without your fob.
As long as it's running you can drive away with no issues.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy

Welcome Aboard!!
Absolutely agree! My cell phone on top of the fob in the same pocket causes problems all the time.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think the middle console has a place where you put the key fob and it charges the battery.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
i think the middle console has a place where you put the key fob and it charges the battery.
there's no such thing.. in the middle console near the armrest there is a NFC to put your key fob there in case if the battery's dead and you need to start the car.,.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
Oh I was told the battery was charges where you sit the key fob between the cup holders
Old 08-21-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rals
Oh I was told the battery was charges where you sit the key fob between the cup holders
LOL!!! no.. that's just where to place your key fob.. there's no rechargeable batteries for the key fobs.. if the slot in between the cup holder is a charging dock for the key fob there should be something there that resembles a charging device..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Not Detected Message