AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Keyfob battery (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/keyfob-battery-2966454/)

Brimstone 01-31-2019 08:46 AM

Keyfob battery

I'm getting an annoying beep everytime I start my car now with a message that my battery is low, which it probably is so I'm sure I'll be replacing it soon. I guess my question is has anyone else had to replace theirs? I've had my car (built in Jan. 2017) for just under 2 years and that seems kinda quick for the battery to run out, conversely my wife's Highlander I started getting the same message in her car a few weeks ago but we bought that in July 2014 (so its 4+ years instead of 2- years)

RJC 1 01-31-2019 08:52 AM

Ours was built 6/16 and the first fob battery warning was about 4 months ago, so we started using the second fob and it just went low in the last 2 weeks or so

uberwgn 01-31-2019 08:54 AM

I done three replacements in different cars over the past 6 months. I'm replacing more often than I believe I should. I'm starting to wonder about boot-leg batteries being sold. Others report similar issues with very short battery life from different types of common batteries.

JBaumgart 01-31-2019 09:04 AM

I just replaced the battery in our MDX after it failed a test during other routine service I was having done at the dealer.
The good news was that I had purchased the failed battery at Costco exactly two years ago, and it came with a three year warranty. So they replaced it for free with a brand new one.
The bad news is that Costco does not install batteries, and I had to take the new one into the Acura dealer to have them do the installation, which cost $45. Given the frigid temperatures we're having now, it was well worth it.

gsobol 01-31-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JBaumgart (Post 25269593)
I just replaced the battery in our MDX after it failed a test during other routine service I was having done at the dealer.
The good news was that I had purchased the failed battery at Costco exactly two years ago, and it came with a three year warranty. So they replaced it for free with a brand new one.
The bad news is that Costco does not install batteries, and I had to take the new one into the Acura dealer to have them do the installation, which cost $45. Given the frigid temperatures we're having now, it was well worth it.

I think OP is talking about KEYFOB battery, not vehicle battery. I don't think Costco carries those.

Dasaint 01-31-2019 10:27 AM

Had my first FOB battery low earlier this month. Had the car for 2+ years. Dealer changed it for me for free.99

Yang L 01-31-2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Brimstone (Post 25269583)
I'm getting an annoying beep everytime I start my car now with a message that my battery is low, which it probably is so I'm sure I'll be replacing it soon. I guess my question is has anyone else had to replace theirs? I've had my car (built in Jan. 2017) for just under 2 years and that seems kinda quick for the battery to run out, conversely my wife's Highlander I started getting the same message in her car a few weeks ago but we bought that in July 2014 (so its 4+ years instead of 2- years)

Panasonic CR2032 Lithium 3 Volt Battery (5 pieces) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K62Y2O2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1Y0uCb6CA9H6N

Just changed mine super easy, instructions on YouTube.

JBaumgart 01-31-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by gsobol (Post 25269607)
I think OP is talking about KEYFOB battery, not vehicle battery. I don't think Costco carries those.

LOL, I totally missed that. :o

RickObe 02-01-2019 02:43 PM

SCarGuy 02-01-2019 02:50 PM

If you leave the key in or near the car, you will find yourself having to replace it quite often. If the key is within range, it will always try and communicate with the car, and as such, drain it more frequently