Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Keyfob battery

 
Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 550
Default Keyfob battery

I'm getting an annoying beep everytime I start my car now with a message that my battery is low, which it probably is so I'm sure I'll be replacing it soon. I guess my question is has anyone else had to replace theirs? I've had my car (built in Jan. 2017) for just under 2 years and that seems kinda quick for the battery to run out, conversely my wife's Highlander I started getting the same message in her car a few weeks ago but we bought that in July 2014 (so its 4+ years instead of 2- years)
Brimstone is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Default

Ours was built 6/16 and the first fob battery warning was about 4 months ago, so we started using the second fob and it just went low in the last 2 weeks or so
RJC 1 is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 08:54 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Super User
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 7,039
Default

I done three replacements in different cars over the past 6 months. I'm replacing more often than I believe I should. I'm starting to wonder about boot-leg batteries being sold. Others report similar issues with very short battery life from different types of common batteries.
uberwgn is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 396
Default

I just replaced the battery in our MDX after it failed a test during other routine service I was having done at the dealer.
The good news was that I had purchased the failed battery at Costco exactly two years ago, and it came with a three year warranty. So they replaced it for free with a brand new one.
The bad news is that Costco does not install batteries, and I had to take the new one into the Acura dealer to have them do the installation, which cost $45. Given the frigid temperatures we're having now, it was well worth it.
JBaumgart is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 09:28 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 1,005
Default

Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post
I just replaced the battery in our MDX after it failed a test during other routine service I was having done at the dealer.
The good news was that I had purchased the failed battery at Costco exactly two years ago, and it came with a three year warranty. So they replaced it for free with a brand new one.
The bad news is that Costco does not install batteries, and I had to take the new one into the Acura dealer to have them do the installation, which cost $45. Given the frigid temperatures we're having now, it was well worth it.
I think OP is talking about KEYFOB battery, not vehicle battery. I don't think Costco carries those.
gsobol is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:27 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Dasaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rain City Seattle
Posts: 896
Default

Had my first FOB battery low earlier this month. Had the car for 2+ years. Dealer changed it for me for free.99
Dasaint is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:31 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Secaucus, NJ
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I'm getting an annoying beep everytime I start my car now with a message that my battery is low, which it probably is so I'm sure I'll be replacing it soon. I guess my question is has anyone else had to replace theirs? I've had my car (built in Jan. 2017) for just under 2 years and that seems kinda quick for the battery to run out, conversely my wife's Highlander I started getting the same message in her car a few weeks ago but we bought that in July 2014 (so its 4+ years instead of 2- years)
Panasonic CR2032 Lithium 3 Volt Battery (5 pieces) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K62Y2O2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1Y0uCb6CA9H6N

Just changed mine super easy, instructions on YouTube.
Yang L is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:33 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 396
Default

Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
I think OP is talking about KEYFOB battery, not vehicle battery. I don't think Costco carries those.
LOL, I totally missed that.
JBaumgart is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 02:43 PM
  #9  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RickObe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Western Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 1,615
Default

RickObe is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 02:50 PM
  #10  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 2,332
Default

If you leave the key in or near the car, you will find yourself having to replace it quite often. If the key is within range, it will always try and communicate with the car, and as such, drain it more frequently
SCarGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyfob battery


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: