Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

kick for rear door to open

Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kick for rear door to open

mine wont do it. watched videos and read up on it but it wont. is there a setting to turn it on? I know the vehicle has to be off but man I have not yet been able to get it to work. yes I know it takes a couple of seconds to activate but it just wont.

thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 2018 Q7 and don't remember having to "turn on"
Have to be exactly in middle if that helps
Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously you have to have the key with you. With tow package kick just off center either side.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:29 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't think mine worked at first either, but what I found was that you need to make one kicking motion and wait a split second for the sensor to react. There is definitely a pause before you hear the latch pop. If you make multiple kicking motions (as I was initially doing) it will confuse the sensor..
Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
mine wont do it. watched videos and read up on it but it wont. is there a setting to turn it on? I know the vehicle has to be off but man I have not yet been able to get it to work. yes I know it takes a couple of seconds to activate but it just wont.

thanks in advance
I know it sounds weird but it has to be a fast/swift motion vs a slow long motion... if that makes sense. I couldn't get mine to work at first until I started doing this.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
Obviously you have to have the key with you. With tow package kick just off center either side.
of course you have to have the key with you. I have tried either side of the tow thing and even directly under it which can be painful. I will try again. its highly frustrating.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by crownroyal
I know it sounds weird but it has to be a fast/swift motion vs a slow long motion... if that makes sense. I couldn't get mine to work at first until I started doing this.
With the Q7 it has to be a slow kicking in-out motion, not fast. BMWs are swift motions, but not the Audi. this has been discussed to death on this forum previously
Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It works great once you learn how to use it, frustrated the heck out of me till I figured it out.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my car for two days now and it has opened every time I kicked. Even my 11 year old grandson can do it.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I’ve never had problems with this feature on both the Q7 and RS7. I have the tow package and as mentioned in another post, one light kicking motion forward and back to either side of the hitch on the Q7 is all it takes and works nearly every time. I’d say it only fails on me about 1 in 20 tries and I have a feeling it may have something to do with how the color of my shoe contrasts with the ground (just a guess). I say this because I usually only have issues when I’m wearing black dress shoes which against dark asphalt, might be the problem. I often wear casual shoes or sneakers anyway, so that may be why my hit rate is high.

I did wish the kick sensors for the Q7 were located like they are for our Velar. On the Q7, the necessity for doing the kick motion so close to the hitch can often result in accidentaly hitting my shin on the tow hitch receiver or when there’s a ball attached, directly on the mount, which can be painful. On the Velar, the sensors are more thoughtfully placed on the outer corners of the bumper, behind each wheel arch, which eliminates the potential for kicking the hitch by accident.

Last edited by larryV; 09-23-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: kick for rear door to open