Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Lane keeping warning: keep hands on steering

Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I thought the factory settings was 15secs?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by itiongo
I thought the factory settings was 15secs?
It could very well be - I didn't check before coding it. I couldn't find any definitive description of the three options anyway, so that's why I timed "late" myself. I was hoping for 30s.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the difference between Audi and BMW's assist is the Audi uses a tech that just senses for the driver's touch on the steering wheel to avoid the alert, whereas other cars require some sort of movement of the wheel to assure the driver still has hands on the wheel.

I think I read this in a recent issue of some car magazines, so I'll try and find it. But it shouldn't require minute movements to keep it activated; just sensing touch should be enough.

Are you wearing gloves? I have the steering wheel heating on so maybe that tricks the system for now in the cold weather and is something to watch out for when it starts to get warmer outside?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
I think the difference between Audi and BMW's assist is the Audi uses a tech that just senses for the driver's touch on the steering wheel to avoid the alert, whereas other cars require some sort of movement of the wheel to assure the driver still has hands on the wheel.

I think I read this in a recent issue of some car magazines, so I'll try and find it. But it shouldn't require minute movements to keep it activated; just sensing touch should be enough.

Are you wearing gloves? I have the steering wheel heating on so maybe that tricks the system for now in the cold weather and is something to watch out for when it starts to get warmer outside?
Nope, it doesn't sense touch at all. It senses movement in the steering wheel. Just resting your hands on the steering wheel w/o causing any movement or resistance will bring up the warning. It's a bigger issue with traffic jam assist, because creeping along at 20mph doesn't really need any steering movement from the driver, so I personally just kinda rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel and that's when it yells every 10 seconds or so. I literally have to slightly wiggle the steering wheel for no good reason every 10 seconds. It makes the automated steering part of traffic jam assist kinda pointless IMHO.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bkafrick
You can def remove the seat belt warning chime. Its the first modification I did with ODBeleven.
That was the first thing I did was to stop the seat belt warn8ng. Now only a single ding on startup and engaging a gear. Also did the needle sweep cause I thought it looked good. Next is to increase blinks on momentary blinker.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Nope, it doesn't sense touch at all. It senses movement in the steering wheel. Just resting your hands on the steering wheel w/o causing any movement or resistance will bring up the warning. It's a bigger issue with traffic jam assist, because creeping along at 20mph doesn't really need any steering movement from the driver, so I personally just kinda rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel and that's when it yells every 10 seconds or so. I literally have to slightly wiggle the steering wheel for no good reason every 10 seconds. It makes the automated steering part of traffic jam assist kinda pointless IMHO.
Correct. The technical term for what is being sensed is "counter torque".

As to the coding, here is what I've done:

Module: A5/Front Sensor Driver Asst
Adaptation Dir. Stab. Assist Driver Inact Deact Threshold Old: Medium New: Late
Adaptation Dir. Stab. Assist Driver Intensity Pwr Steer Support Old: Medium New: Strong
Adaptation Dir. Stab. Assist Driver Intensity Steer Wheel Vibr. Old: Medium New: Strong
I did a bit of timing before and after and with "Late", it did seem to increase the time somewhat. That said, I have come to believe that the time-to-warning is not a fixed number. I think (subjectively) that there are some real time variables involved, and that's why we get reports of different numbers and can't get any solid hard timeouts measured. Just a guess based on observation though; no inside knowledge on this.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have found that even if you have your hands on the wheel, and if you have very passive touch, allowing the Audi to steer, you will get the warning, You almost have to show the system that you are there by steering in a direction that the car would not already go... in other words, if the car wants to go down the middle of the lane, you need to slightly fight it so that it knows you are still there. But if you perfectly match what it wants to do, it assumes you have let go.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss

That's odd. I don't use traffic jam assist because I'm not in too many traffic jams but for the lane assist, I always drive with my elbow resting on the window and just have a hand around the 10/11 o'clock position and have it resting there. I don't actively move the wheel, especially on cruise control on the highway with lane assist and I don't get the warning. I mess around sometimes and just take my hand off the wheel completely, then I get the warning after 7-10 seconds but no matter where I rest my hand, so long as it senses my hand there, the alarm doesn't go off. Thats' why I assumed it was touch based.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
That's odd. I don't use traffic jam assist because I'm not in too many traffic jams but for the lane assist, I always drive with my elbow resting on the window and just have a hand around the 10/11 o'clock position and have it resting there. I don't actively move the wheel, especially on cruise control on the highway with lane assist and I don't get the warning. I mess around sometimes and just take my hand off the wheel completely, then I get the warning after 7-10 seconds but no matter where I rest my hand, so long as it senses my hand there, the alarm doesn't go off. Thats' why I assumed it was touch based.
As @RickObe correctly stated, it senses counter torque. So resting your hand at the 10/11 o'clock position with elbow resting on the window puts counter torque on the steering simply due to gravity pulling your hand down. I on the other hand tend to rest my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel during casual highway driving, so that doesn't put a counter torque on the steering wheel as it pulls straight down at the 180 degree position.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lane keeping warning: keep hands on steering