Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Leather Dye fading on Nougat Brown Interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jallen0 and Iconoclast --- Thanks for the Monopoly board game. Sorry, didn't catch it. :-)
Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Zoich
Doesn't look like a "fade" to me. Looks more like something reacted with the dye, and the dye reacted and was lifted.

Years ago in my grey leather BMW interior, I had the misfortune of misplacing a deodorant falling out of my gym bag in my front seat. Deodorant melted and caked on the leather under the sun during that day. As I wiped it away later that night, the dye was lifted along with it. It left a copper color hue very similar to this.

Anyway, yours i hope it's just faulty dye job.

as with a previous member comment about sun tan lotion. very annoying. You need to wipe away immediately. Otherwise it leaves a white film (it was left on the armrest so not as noticeable) we have the luxury pkg with cedar brown valcona leather (sp?) - that white stuff didn't come off easily.

Zoich, You make a good point about dye lifting off. The place on the driver seat where this has happened is exactly where one's left rear thigh rubs against the seat as one gets in and out of the car. We wear cotton khahki's so its essentially khaki's causing friction against the leather.

Leather is typically vat dyed, so the dye should impregnate the leather and should not just stay on the surface as a coating.

Agree about deodorant and sun block, but pretty sure none of that is applicable in this case.

Yes, hope this is just a faulty job and on this seat only. Hope this is just a one off issue.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ink17Q7
I would definitely say bring this in. I have the cedar brown interior which is pretty close to that and almost at 20k miles and I have seen no sign of this.
Have spoken with the dealership and they have asked to take it in. They will review and let us know. They may need to order a new seat cover. They will have order the cover specific to the VIN.

Plan to take to the dealership in the next 2 days.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear you are having leather issues. I sympathize.

Side question, I am assuming our Q7 seats are leather.
What other parts are? Door panels? Dashboard?
It's hard to tell. They make vinyl pretty leather like now...
Old 10-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by diffuser
Sorry to hear you are having leather issues. I sympathize.

Side question, I am assuming our Q7 seats are leather.
What other parts are? Door panels? Dashboard?
It's hard to tell. They make vinyl pretty leather like now...

Good question above. I believe all the seating surfaces are leather. As for door panels, I believe they are leather, though not sure. As for dashboard at list premium and premium + does not have leather best I can tell.

Maybe other on the forum can comment further.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If Audi covers the leather issue under warranty, I wonder if I should let them remove the seat and then the seat bottom cover to put a new one on.

Will the fit and finish be back to factory specifications and as neat and tidy as it is right now.

Been looking at possibility of nougat brown dye to color match as I am two minds.

Came across this website.
Audi Leather Dye Color, 150ml

Does anyone have experience or looked at this site / company?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know what the dealer plans to do for you. Would be interested in what their solution is.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Let us know what the dealer plans to do for you. Would be interested in what their solution is.
Yes, absolutely! Plan to visit the dealer tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ad2005
Yes, absolutely! Plan to visit the dealer tomorrow.
Visited the dealer few days ago. Th dealer SA said that they haven't seen something like this before. The dealer spoke with Audi Rep and received approval to replace seat cover under warranty. They call this a blemish on leather (whatever that means). It will take 4 weeks to get the seat cover from Germany.
New seat cover supposedly will have to be made to match the VIN#.

As I am apprehensive about dismantling a new seat with car roughly having 2500 miles. I asked a few questions about fit and finish.

A Couple of things I learn't along the way. The cost of seat cover is a cool $1000.00 and cost of a new seat is $6000.00

Will keep you all posted as I get the new cover installed.

The dealer also told us that there is a recall for 3rd row seats. additional brackets to be installed so that seat don't move during high loads.

The recall will be done at the same time as seat cover install.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Booo! My nougat brown drivers seat leather has the same problem.

Quick Reply: Leather Dye fading on Nougat Brown Interior