Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

LED headlights are a bit low

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
It would be best to do the adjustment with the headlights on so you can see the movement in height. I used a flat head screwdriver, it was real easy to turn.
Okay. Thank you. In my previous cars, I used to do it with the headlights on. Wasn't so sure about the new ones with LEDs.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

even better would be to go evening to a parking lot with a cinder block wall.
park about 25-30ft back from the wall. adjust accordingly.
the lines from the cinder block wall will help you get an even line and gauge how much needs to be adjusted before changing any of the factory settings.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
the lines from the cinder block wall will help you get an even line and gauge how much needs to be adjusted before changing any of the factory settings.
I'm planning on using my garage door but my driveway has a slight downward curve. Let me check it out tonight.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

flat ground would be best.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast

^^^ This is the technique I've used for years. I find an office park or go behind the shopping plaza and use the cinder blocks for reference. You should be on a flat, level surface. It's helpful to throw a large towel over one headlight (to block the light) so you can adjust the other side. And vice versa. Then, go for a drive, check for improvement and try to confirm you are not blinding oncoming traffic. Adjust again as necessary.

(What happened to needing VCDS to release the headlight adjusting mechanism??)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickObe
Just did mine. Counter-clockwise to raise them. Takes a 6mm hex wrench.
just a quick PSA. I did the adjustment now and it was a breeze. Also found out that you can use a Phillips head screwdriver too. Underneath the hex head cavity of the adjustment screw is also a Phillips head slot.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

when the lights turn on when I start the Q I always see the led lights sweep up and down and then level back out. Are the lights not auto leveling when we drive?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by V13T
when the lights turn on when I start the Q I always see the led lights sweep up and down and then level back out. Are the lights not auto leveling when we drive?
Most likely the headlights are the same between all Q7 regardless of adaptive air suspension or not.
Some audi models have had fixed headlights that do not auto level due to car leveling itself via air ride (ie. my last D4 A8L).
My prior audi, A6 did not have air ride and the headlights would swivel down and then up at startup.

Seems like Audi simplified things on the Q7 and with air ride it will attempt to self level but if it is thrown off a lot due to loading the vehicle up or towing it will compensate more via the headlights...
Hope this helps explain.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Most likely the headlights are the same between all Q7 regardless of adaptive air suspension or not.
Some audi models have had fixed headlights that do not auto level due to car leveling itself via air ride (ie. my last D4 A8L).
My prior audi, A6 did not have air ride and the headlights would swivel down and then up at startup.

Seems like Audi simplified things on the Q7 and with air ride it will attempt to self level but if it is thrown off a lot due to loading the vehicle up or towing it will compensate more via the headlights...
Hope this helps explain.

so if I adjust the lights manually it would just get corrected again automatically by the lights ? I don’t have air I am on steel springs.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by V13T
so if I adjust the lights manually it would just get corrected again automatically by the lights ? I don’t have air I am on steel springs.
No, if you adjust on level ground to your desired height then the car (when neutrally loaded on flat ground) will return to that setting you changed it to.
The car does the sweep every start up to level the beam height. But it goes back to whatever you set it to at that ride height (ie. how much stuff in trunk etc.) if that makes sense.

If you put 1000 lbs in the trunk and restarted car, it would end up on the same place on the wall. If you emptied trunk and restarted it would do the same. The car looks for how loaded it is every time you start. But you set the height manually through the adjustment screw that the car then adjusts off of....