Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

License plate frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default License plate frame

I've seen few different license plate frames, and I was wondering if anyone bought one off ebay or amazon.
I really like the OEM slim line ones, I am not a fan of the frames with large brand on bottom, plus it's illegal to cover state name, custom plates must show the state name on bottom (to ensure they are not TLC plates in NYS).

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/S...AW071801D.html
I think $35 is reasonable if it's as good as it looks on the pictures.

I gave up on trying to run without front plates, so I'll need to get two of these.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I've seen few different license plate frames, and I was wondering if anyone bought one off ebay or amazon.
I really like the OEM slim line ones, I am not a fan of the frames with large brand on bottom, plus it's illegal to cover state name, custom plates must show the state name on bottom (to ensure they are not TLC plates in NYS).

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/S...AW071801D.html
I think $35 is reasonable if it's as good as it looks on the pictures.

I gave up on trying to run without front plates, so I'll need to get two of these.
I just bought two black ones from ebay for $28 each.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought mine from Weathertech where the front has a nice bumper to prevent idiots. I posted pic on here. will try to dig up
Old 11-18-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is the tread with my pics
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...acket-2920663/
Old 11-18-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks BigKutta, when you said you got a bumper plate frame, I immediately thought of this, which I find to be an overkill.

--

The one you found looks good enough to pass as normal plate frame, I'll definitely look into that for front.
I think what you got is best since it not only protects the front bumper (partially) but also protects the plate too. I hated how bent my old plate got over years.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a black OEM one and it looks nice. The quality is worth it for the $35. Also, I figured the frame will last a very long time so why not spend the $35 for a nice one, right?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks BigKutta, when you said you got a bumper plate frame, I immediately thought of this, which I find to be an overkill.

--

The one you found looks good enough to pass as normal plate frame, I'll definitely look into that for front.
I think what you got is best since it not only protects the front bumper (partially) but also protects the plate too. I hated how bent my old plate got over years.
Haha. If I was parking on manhattan streets, that would not be overkill!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BK,
I got the bumpframe from Weather Tech, looks nice, but I can't believe it didn't come any with mounting hardware at all. I saw your message in the other thread, I thought it was just two instead of 4 so you had to use your own in order to match them.
Ugh, I will spray paint the existing screws black, and use those instead.

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the suggestion on front plate frame. There is some protection, without looking crazy.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BK,
I got the bumpframe from Weather Tech, looks nice, but I can't believe it didn't come any with mounting hardware at all. I saw your message in the other thread, I thought it was just two instead of 4 so you had to use your own in order to match them.
Ugh, I will spray paint the existing screws black, and use those instead.

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the suggestion on front plate frame. There is some protection, without looking crazy.
Very welcome. yes, not hardware, but any can be used since it screws right into the plastic frame of the Q7 which has no holes (just tiny notches)
Old 11-28-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered two CNC aluminum ones from Fast Friends Garage. They arrived yesterday and I've not installed them but quality is very nice.

https://ffgarage.com/collections/license-plate-frames

Quick Reply: License plate frame