Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

License Plate Relocation?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Relocation?

Has anyone successfully relocated their plates on a 2017+, Im about to order a 18 with black optics, I'm in NJ and we need front plates, but I love the look of the new grille without one. I have seen the plate delete kits already, and this may have been already asked, but if you have relocated the plate can you upload some pics? Thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 18Q7
Has anyone successfully relocated their plates on a 2017+, Im about to order a 18 with black optics, I'm in NJ and we need front plates, but I love the look of the new grille without one. I have seen the plate delete kits already, and this may have been already asked, but if you have relocated the plate can you upload some pics? Thanks!
My buddy leaves his front plate in the car by the windshield. Where would you relocate it to without messing up the front grill or bumper anyway?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I also own a 14 Jeep SRT and I have a plate relocation bracket that moved it to the lower bumper on the passenger side, I dont know how it would look on the Q7, but I'd imagine it would look good
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a matter of personal taste, but I think those look even worse. You move it to the side, and the plate sticks out even more, and you drill the bumper.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Relocating the plate to the side of the bumper may interfere with the radar sensors....
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Relocating the plate to the side of the bumper may interfere with the radar sensors....
Thats very true I hadnt thought about that, would having it in the windshield be legal?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to live in a state that required front/back license plates and I knew people who only used the rear one, they said they never had any issues. considering its impossible to see the front and back of the vehicle at the same time and there's out of state vehicles everywhere I'm guessing its not checked by law enforcement that often.

I have no idea what your risk tolerance is or consequence if you're busted, and you may have to put it on for inspections (or if you're caught), but I'll throw that idea out there.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
I used to live in a state that required front/back license plates and I knew people who only used the rear one, they said they never had any issues. considering its impossible to see the front and back of the vehicle at the same time and there's out of state vehicles everywhere I'm guessing its not checked by law enforcement that often.

I have no idea what your risk tolerance is or consequence if you're busted, and you may have to put it on for inspections (or if you're caught), but I'll throw that idea out there.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...older-2909154/
Old 04-27-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 18Q7
Thats very true I hadnt thought about that, would having it in the windshield be legal?
This may be state related, but here in NY it's a big no-no. Nothing can be placed in the front AND back windshield, not even stickers can be placed unless they are authorized by DMV commissioner. It's funny, considering that registration and inspection are stickers you need to place on the front windshield :-) - I guess that would be an example of an authorized .....
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTW, this is from NY Vehicle and Traffic Law# 402

1. (a) No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground;  provided, however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear.

(b) Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and shall not be knowingly covered or coated with any artificial or synthetic material or substance that conceals or obscures such number plates or that distorts a recorded or photographic image of such number plates, and the view of such number plates shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon, except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling facility.

Most states that issue 2 license plates have very similar laws on books. They may not necessarily be enforced by local authorities, however you would always be taking chances. I was ticketed once for having a clear cover on my license plate, even though I had it on for more than 2 years (!) and was not aware it was illegal. Judge said the usual: "ignorance of the law is not an excuse", $250 thank you very much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: License Plate Relocation?