Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Looking for advice on roof racks and cargo boxes.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Black Aeroblade Edge on BOP.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Black Aeroblade Edge on BOP.

Thanks for the pics. Will definitely go with the aeroblade edge in black
Old 05-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the factory bars. There is a little added wind noise at highway speeds. The install and removal is all of 5 mins. I had an older Thule box...it was 16' cu ft. I recently ordered the Thule Motion XT XXL for more room. It's 22 cu ft of storage up top.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...-xxl-_-1691183

We also have a hitched mounted box on a swingaway arm. It works great and still allows access to the back hatch. The only drawback is that it is a two person install (unless you want to unscrew the box from the frame each time).

https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black

With a family of six, we need the extra storage.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone has a Thule Sidearm Roof Bike Rack AND a Thule roof box? That will be my ideal configuration. I have the bike rack installed and am looking for a roof box that will fit side by side with the bike rack.
I have the Aeroblade Edge (with longer usable bar spaces). Any input is appreciated!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been shopping for cargo boxes and bike racks for my Q7 I just picked up last Sunday. While I like the look of the Thule cargo boxes better, I am 99% sure I will go with Yakima. I find them to be sturdier and easier to open/close than Thule. I'm going with Thule crossbars since Yakima's don't fit the 2017 Q7 yet but you can put a Yakima cargo box on the Thule bars no problem. These two brands are priced pretty much the same.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pnwislander
I've been shopping for cargo boxes and bike racks for my Q7 I just picked up last Sunday. While I like the look of the Thule cargo boxes better, I am 99% sure I will go with Yakima. I find them to be sturdier and easier to open/close than Thule. I'm going with Thule crossbars since Yakima's don't fit the 2017 Q7 yet but you can put a Yakima cargo box on the Thule bars no problem. These two brands are priced pretty much the same.
The guys at RackNRoad told me the exact opposite. Especially on the higher end boxes. My Thule Flow is rock solid and super easy to open and close. Plus all my keys match.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The guys at RackNRoad told me the exact opposite. Especially on the higher end boxes. My Thule Flow is rock solid and super easy to open and close. Plus all my keys match.
Lol, really? Hmmm.....reps at different dealers must get incentives to push different brands! Par for the course.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pnwislander
Lol, really? Hmmm.....reps at different dealers must get incentives to push different brands! Par for the course.
I went with the Thule Flow box (I only need it for winter heading to the mountain) and it is rock solid. Only box that I found that was more sturdy was the Hyper. I would guess that the Motion XT would be similar to mine but with larger capacity. The latch points also seemed stronger and easier to operate on the Thule Boxes... I'll try and toss it on the car tonight and snap a few other photos.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1 @PeteDin206

I was in REI comparing Thule and Yakima side-by-side. Thule feels more solid and easy to operate. Plus, I've used Thule products for many proven years - no reason to switch. Plus, matching keys.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went with the Thule Flow box (I only need it for winter heading to the mountain) and it is rock solid. Only box that I found that was more sturdy was the Hyper. I would guess that the Motion XT would be similar to mine but with larger capacity. The latch points also seemed stronger and easier to operate on the Thule Boxes... I'll try and toss it on the car tonight and snap a few other photos.
@PeteDin - if you don't mind, please let me know how much space on the side do you have after you install your Thule Flow box. I need about 8" for my bike rack (Thule Sidearm 594XT).
I like the look and features of Flow.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I am assuming you use the Thule Aeroblade (the ones with more space):

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for advice on roof racks and cargo boxes.