Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Looking into a 2017/2018 Q7 in canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a 2017/2018 Q7 in canada

Hi, I am new here and interested in the Q7.

My background - have owned many many volvos (940, s70, s60 x2, v70, xc70, xc90 (current) and v60 (current). I am familiar with all of the volvo lines.

I am in the market in the next few months for a replacement for our xc90. The xc90 is our family car that has the time tested 2.5T with awd.

I am down to the Q7 and the XC90. I love the interior of the Q7, but not so hot of the exterior. I like the exterior of the xc90 but ok with the interior. I know most of the problems areas of the xc90. I would like to hear what are the problem areas of the current Q7. Is the 2.0T too weak to carry the car? i know the 3.0T is a relatively new engine and I have heard about oil consumption issue with the older 2.0T. I am not sure if the 2.0T in the Q7 will have oil consumption issue.

I also interested when you shopped the Q7 did you shop against the xc90? what was the deciding factor on getting the Q7? If you have both the xc90 and the Q7, what do you dislike and like about each car?

what is the life of the q7? reliability/audi reliability?

Thank you for your feedback!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my book, the Q7 is better to drive than the XC90, but the XC90 is a better family car because of it's better third row seating.

The issue with the XC90 is that it was the first one on the new platform, had teething issues and in my experience their dealer network is not trained enough to deal with issues that may come up on this new platform, which contributes to frustrated consumers and low reliability scores.Their cars may have made the transition to luxury, but their dealers haven't
​​​​​​
Given that you have owned a lot of Volvo's, if your dealership is good, you may not run into this issues, plus MY18 is more reliable.

My Q7 comes in this week, but from what I have read most complaints center around small or fewer storage spaces, tight third row seating, and some people have mentioned high tire wear there are the one off issues like misaligned armrest, or rattles, but nothing that is widespread. No spare tire is another concern I have heard.

I find the XC90 to be brighter than the Q7, and obviously it's cheaper as well, but Q7 is more refined and quieter

as an example, here in the US, if you were to buy a fully loaded XC90 inscription, you will get it for MSRP of ~75K. The Q7 will net you close to 10K more.
​​​​​​
Old 11-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just put 2000 kms on mine up here in canada aswell. Everything is running solid so far no problems, hope it stays that way.

The q7 3.0 was the better driving vehicle hands down and right now i dont have the need for extra room in the back, this along with the nice interior was enough for me to decide on it over the volvo.

Exterior id say from the front the volvo is slightly better but the rear I give the edge to the q7.

Also the audi looks more menacing when its closing in from the rear view mirror
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnusaputra
Hi, I am new here and interested in the Q7.

My background - have owned many many volvos (940, s70, s60 x2, v70, xc70, xc90 (current) and v60 (current). I am familiar with all of the volvo lines.

I am in the market in the next few months for a replacement for our xc90. The xc90 is our family car that has the time tested 2.5T with awd.

I am down to the Q7 and the XC90. I love the interior of the Q7, but not so hot of the exterior. I like the exterior of the xc90 but ok with the interior. I know most of the problems areas of the xc90. I would like to hear what are the problem areas of the current Q7. Is the 2.0T too weak to carry the car? i know the 3.0T is a relatively new engine and I have heard about oil consumption issue with the older 2.0T. I am not sure if the 2.0T in the Q7 will have oil consumption issue.

I also interested when you shopped the Q7 did you shop against the xc90? what was the deciding factor on getting the Q7? If you have both the xc90 and the Q7, what do you dislike and like about each car?

what is the life of the q7? reliability/audi reliability?

Thank you for your feedback!

I looked at both. In my opinion XC 90 looks better. I however went with ordering the Q7 as the local Volvo dealer is not as good as the Audi dealership. I also liked the virtual cockpit of Q7. And lastly I closely followed the forums of XC90 and Q7, there were significantly more complaints on the Volvo Xc90 forum, some of which were major issues.