Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Loss of tire pressure

Old 10-20-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Loss of tire pressure

So I'm driving on the highway yesterday and an alarm goes off saying something to the effect of "Loss of pressure detected. Check pressure and update values in MMI." Thinking that I had a flat tire I get off the next exit and check all the tires. No flats (I have run flats anyway) but pressure was around 29.

Has this happened to anyone? If this was just Audi's way of alerting drivers to low pressure, they need to find another. The alarm was startling and I was almost late for my meeting. The alarm is LOUD and implies an emergency.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by billsfan
So I'm driving on the highway yesterday and an alarm goes off saying something to the effect of "Loss of pressure detected. Check pressure and update values in MMI." Thinking that I had a flat tire I get off the next exit and check all the tires. No flats (I have run flats anyway) but pressure was around 29.

Has this happened to anyone? If this was just Audi's way of alerting drivers to low pressure, they need to find another. The alarm was startling and I was almost late for my meeting. The alarm is LOUD and implies an emergency.
Did you have a significant temperature drop the night before? The system we have doesn't detect an actual leak - it just detects a change in one or all of the tire's pressure that was set in the MMI.
This time of year TPMS systems in areas that have actual change of seasons tend to go berserk as temperatures drop causing tire pressures to drop - particularly after sitting overnight.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Did you have a significant temperature drop the night before? The system we have doesn't detect an actual leak - it just detects a change in one or all of the tire's pressure that was set in the MMI.
This time of year TPMS systems in areas that have actual change of seasons tend to go berserk as temperatures drop causing tire pressures to drop - particularly after sitting overnight.
Yes, in the 30s. I was on the road for a good 30 mins before it sounded.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

At least we know "the system works" - although somewhat at the expense of your nerves
Old 10-20-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like the pressures dropped due to the temp. Just inflate to the right pressures and reset in MMI
Old 10-20-2017, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I too was at 30 psi when i got the alarm. Kind of sad that if one tire looses pressure, the Q7 won't tell you which tire it is.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MDIZL
Yes, I too was at 30 psi when i got the alarm. Kind of sad that if one tire looses pressure, the Q7 won't tell you which tire it is.
What is to be sad about? The OEM HUF sensors from previous years VAG were about $90 a pop. I'd rather have a warning once in a while telling me that the tire is at less than 3 PSI when was calibrated last time. Check you tire air pressure regularly and run calibration right after. And that's all.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had it happened twice since I purchased the Q7. The first time was real, a screw was found on one of the tires. The second time was a false alarm.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the alarm went off for all 4 tires, clearly the low temp appears to have triggered it. Has happened to me in the past on my BMW.