Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Lots of Competition for the Q7. 2019 BMW X5, 2020 GLE, 2020 Lincoln Aviator, 2020 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CountLaszlo
PS, BMW takes on HUGE loses because they’re doing so horribly and I wouldn’t touch one. You ‘get’ what you pay for in this instance.
Doing horribly? LOL, you may not be up to date. Right now, the new X5 is selling like hotcakes..and compared to the Q7 where you can get basically 15% off, you are LUCKY to get 5% on the X7.

While I haven't had any issues on my Q7 (after all, I'm only driving less than 5K miles/year), I certainly wouldn't claim that the Q7 is a trouble-free vehicle. That I can tell from following this forum closely for a couple of years now. Out of curiosity, I went to the main page of this forum to read some topics. Right now, just on page 1, it shows "Very loud squeaking noise from the engine", "Noise in rear seat area", "Door locking issues", "Water Pump failure", "Recall: Fuel Rail", "Brake issues, no fix in sight", "Cameras not working" and "2018 Q7 wanders". FYI, it does not look any worse on the X5 forum - and comparing the age of the vehicles, Audi should have a huge advantage right now.

I've owned several BMWs in the past - X5 4.8is, 760Li and M5 - you name it. Right now, I'm owning an Audi so I'm not biased at all. I'm just not buying the "Audi is better and therefore, the lease is more expensive"-talk.

Another question in regards to MF and units....check it out yourself: Build either a Premium Plus Q7/8 and compare the lease-rate to an equally priced Prestige. The Prestige is almost $100/month more. Now go to BMW and build a X5/7 40i and at the same price, a 50i. The lease will be the same. So do units only matter at Audi?

Last edited by AudiFanFL; 04-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Don’t forget to add “soft close doors don’t work. Audi says user error”
Old 04-08-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Doing horribly? LOL, you may not be up to date. Right now, the new X5 is selling like hotcakes..and compared to the Q7 where you can get basically 15% off, you are LUCKY to get 5% on the X7.

While I haven't had any issues on my Q7 (after all, I'm only driving less than 5K miles/year), I certainly wouldn't claim that the Q7 is a trouble-free vehicle. That I can tell from following this forum closely for a couple of years now. Out of curiosity, I went to the main page of this forum to read some topics. Right now, just on page 1, it shows "Very loud squeaking noise from the engine", "Noise in rear seat area", "Door locking issues", "Water Pump failure", "Recall: Fuel Rail", "Brake issues, no fix in sight", "Cameras not working" and "2018 Q7 wanders". FYI, it does not look any worse on the X5 forum - and comparing the age of the vehicles, Audi should have a huge advantage right now.

I've owned several BMWs in the past - X5 4.8is, 760Li and M5 - you name it. Right now, I'm owning an Audi so I'm not biased at all. I'm just not buying the "Audi is better and therefore, the lease is more expensive"-talk.

Another question in regards to MF and units....check it out yourself: Build either a Premium Plus Q7/8 and compare the lease-rate to an equally priced Prestige. The Prestige is almost $100/month more. Now go to BMW and build a X5/7 40i and at the same price, a 50i. The lease will be the same. So do units only matter at Audi?
The X5 is doing well because it’s a brand new model year and much improved. BMW sales have been good in the SUV segment but the rest of their product offerings are extremely soft. They’ve also earned themselves a bad reputation with plastic radiators to cars catching on fire. And their global sales aren’t as strong and they’re no longer the luxury car leader. I’ve also owned quite a few BMWs but stopped buying them in 2008.

Units produced. Maybe we can go to goodcarbadcar and compare YoY sales for X5 and Q7 to see number of cars produced to validate MFs. There’s other factors but units produced per year play a role. Banks need to make interest and make up for lesser units by raising rates.

I personally think the Q7 is an amazing SUV. Best one I’ve owned so far. For me, it works really well.

Last edited by CountLaszlo; 04-08-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I personally think the Q7 is an amazing SUV. Best one I’ve owned so far. For me, it works really well.
I'm not disputing that at all. After all, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger although I knew right from the start that it will be an expensive choice. I have no regrets at all but I'm not 100% convinced (yet) that I will be doing it again. After all, we don't know yet what Audi is going to offer in regards to MY20 and the Q7. In addition to that, the 2017 Q7 was basically without serious competition. Other luxury brands either didn't offer a competitor or had outdated vehicles. The only other one I considered back then was the XC90 - and even that one only briefly for various reasons. But in regards to SUVs over the period of the 3 years, a lot has changed. The title of this thread tells it all.

All I'm saying is that the X7 has a lot to offer. I might be a bit hesitant to buy one right now but my Q7 lease term runs 'til February and by then, the discounts on the X7 could be at 10% and the new car issues we are basically seeing on any new luxury vehicle should be taken care of (incl. availability limitations on certain options).

Our second vehicle is a Lincoln and chances are high that I'm going to do something crazy and replace our current MKZ with the new Aviator. The lease on the Lincoln ends at the same time as the one on my Audi. Lincoln is a perfect example: A competitor for the Q7 from a brand that had no comparable vehicle to offer when I leased the Q7..
Old 04-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

To be fair that means nothing. I'm into month 13 in my Q7, trouble free. Not like I'm going to start a thread "No very loud squeaking noise from the engine", "No noise in rear seat area", "No door locking issues", "No water Pump failure", "No Recall My Fuel Rail", "No brake issues", "Cameras are working" and "2018 Q7 doesn't wander"
The following users liked this post:
davepjr71 (12-31-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not disputing that at all. After all, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger although I knew right from the start that it will be an expensive choice. I have no regrets at all but I'm not 100% convinced (yet) that I will be doing it again. After all, we don't know yet what Audi is going to offer in regards to MY20 and the Q7. In addition to that, the 2017 Q7 was basically without serious competition. Other luxury brands either didn't offer a competitor or had outdated vehicles. The only other one I considered back then was the XC90 - and even that one only briefly for various reasons. But in regards to SUVs over the period of the 3 years, a lot has changed. The title of this thread tells it all.

All I'm saying is that the X7 has a lot to offer. I might be a bit hesitant to buy one right now but my Q7 lease term runs 'til February and by then, the discounts on the X7 could be at 10% and the new car issues we are basically seeing on any new luxury vehicle should be taken care of (incl. availability limitations on certain options).

Our second vehicle is a Lincoln and chances are high that I'm going to do something crazy and replace our current MKZ with the new Aviator. The lease on the Lincoln ends at the same time as the one on my Audi. Lincoln is a perfect example: A competitor for the Q7 from a brand that had no comparable vehicle to offer when I leased the Q7..
Totally get it. :-)

The X7 was what we were originally waiting for before we picked up the Q7.

IMHO, the X7 is going to steal a lot of sales from the full-sized SUV pie. Especially the likes of the GLS and RR. The X7 is a brilliant design and they thought through ever use case. Even a stowaway for the rear cargo cover. How painful is it to find a home for that when all seats are upright! Those are the level of details that BMW thought through. Now, the X7 is much larger than the Q7, so they can get clever.

We are coming from a ‘16 GL550. That SUV was huge and unwieldy. It was terrible in the rain and snow no matter the tires. Made body flexing noises and frankly way over priced for what you got. It was a decent SUV but it was my last days with a full sized SUV. Even the next GLS is pretty hohum and X7 is going to really hurt MB in that space unless the X7 ends up having quality issues. I also felt like I was driving an RV and wanted something smaller and more nimble but still retaining that bigger SUV, but in a slightly smaller package. I’m in crisis. Haha

The Q7 will get impacted but only for those cross shopping with larger families and the need for all the room. But the Q7 should continue to do well and the facelift will amplify it. I have seen the test mules online and glad I picked up the current model. The bold front end and buttons are a blessing in disguise. Played around with the Q8 and it’s remarkable. I do love all the wizardry but at the same time I love just chilling out in my beautifully equipped and absolutely gorgeous interior. I’d rather see lots of wood, metal, and shapes that a giant digital display.

Anyway, there’s a lot of amazing choices out there. And it makes it fun for those who are going into the market sooner than later.

Last edited by CountLaszlo; 04-08-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
To be fair that means nothing.
That was my point..

As I said earlier, I had no issues at all during my 26 month lease and I'm not expecting any major issue until I turn it in. To be fair though, the same applied to the BMWs I owned so far.

Many of the current X5 sales are customers who owned the former generation of the X5 and I can't imagine they would be getting another one if it would have been the worst vehicle on the planet..
Old 04-08-2019, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyway, there’s a lot of amazing choices out there. And it makes it fun for those who are going into the market sooner than later.
I totally agree and as I said before, it's amazing what popped up on the 3-row SUV market just recently or is coming still coming in 2019.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Totally get it. :-)

The X7 was what we were originally waiting for before we picked up the Q7.

IMHO, the X7 is going to steal a lot of sales from the full-sized SUV pie. Especially the likes of the GLS and RR. The X7 is a brilliant design and they thought through ever use case. Even a stowaway for the rear cargo cover. How painful is it to find a home for that when all seats are upright! Those are the level of details that BMW thought through. Now, the X7 is much larger than the Q7, so they can get clever.

We are coming from a ‘16 GL550. That SUV was huge and unwieldy. It was terrible in the rain and snow no matter the tires. Made body flexing noises and frankly way over priced for what you got. It was a decent SUV but it was my last days with a full sized SUV. Even the next GLS is pretty hohum and X7 is going to really hurt MB in that space unless the X7 ends up having quality issues. I also felt like I was driving an RV and wanted something smaller and more nimble but still retaining that bigger SUV, but in a slightly smaller package. I’m in crisis. Haha

The Q7 will get impacted but only for those cross shopping with larger families and the need for all the room. But the Q7 should continue to do well and the facelift will amplify it. I have seen the test mules online and glad I picked up the current model. The bold front end and buttons are a blessing in disguise. Played around with the Q8 and it’s remarkable. I do love all the wizardry but at the same time I love just chilling out in my beautifully equipped and absolutely gorgeous interior. I’d rather see lots of wood, metal, and shapes that a giant digital display.

All new GLS due later this year...supposed to be amazing

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...york-auto-show

Last edited by RJC 1; 04-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
All new GLS due later this year...supposed to be amazing

Just can’t get over the ugly giant iPhone dash.

Quick Reply: Lots of Competition for the Q7. 2019 BMW X5, 2020 GLE, 2020 Lincoln Aviator, 2020 Q7