Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Low coolant level?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Low coolant level?

Hi all, this morning i got a “low coolant” warning on my 2017 q7. It had been out overnight in sub zero weather so I’m thinking the coolant may have compressed a bit bc as I drove just a few seconds the light went off. I didn’t get a chance to check the levels yet (I had a train to catch literally) but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2019, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Golden Girl View Post
Hi all, this morning i got a “low coolant” warning on my 2017 q7. It had been out overnight in sub zero weather so I’m thinking the coolant may have compressed a bit bc as I drove just a few seconds the light went off. I didn’t get a chance to check the levels yet (I had a train to catch literally) but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks!
I got the same screen three times now within the last 4 days always on a cold start. But it went away within a minute. It must be the cold weather we have
Old 02-01-2019, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for letting me know! Fingers crossed!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed that the coolant is lower because of the ultra-cold temps, but I bet you are still pretty low overall. By the time my "low coolant" warning came on, my reservoir was essentially completely empty. (see my thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...empty-2963663/)
Check your level cold, in the morning. Check again after warmed up (but don't open the reservoir when hot). Assuming that it is really VERY low in the morning, I assume it won't get anywhere near to normal even when warmed up. If so, you'll need to add some or have the dealer add some.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't take any chance, take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

The owner's manual says this:
"Coolant loss usually indicates there is a leak. Immediately drive your vehicle to an authorized Audi dealer or authorized Audi Service Facility"

Which is what I did, and I am glad I did.

This is what I just posted on another thread:
"The warning "Turn off engine and check coolant level" was on twice last Thursday morning. I checked the coolant tank and the level was just below the MIN line, but I did not see any leaks below the area. Took the car to the dealer on Friday morning, a few hours later they called me and told me the car is leaking coolant in water pump. They had to order parts and car won't be ready until early next week.

My Q7 is 2017 P+ (January 2016 build), it now has 33K miles on it. More and more issues started popping up since last year, now I started worrying about the reliability of this car, especially after the warranty runs out. "

Last edited by discogone; 02-03-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by discogone View Post
Don't take any chance, take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

The owner's manual says this:
"Coolant loss usually indicates there is a leak. Immediately drive your vehicle to an authorized Audi dealer or authorized Audi Service Facility"

Which is what I did, and I am glad I did.

This is what I just posted on another thread:
"The warning "Turn off engine and check coolant level" was on twice last Thursday morning. I checked the coolant tank and the level was just below the MIN line, but I did not see any leaks below the area. Took the car to the dealer on Friday morning, a few hours later they called me and told me the car is leaking coolant in water pump. They had to order parts and car won't be ready until early next week.

My Q7 is 2017 P+ (January 2016 build), it now has 33K miles on it. More and more issues started popping up since last year, now I started worrying about the reliability of this car, especially after the warranty runs out. "
Thank you. I don't have an Audi dealership close, but I do have a Volkswagen and they had the G13 coolant avail. I added more (I was low) and i'm hoping that does the trick, if it happens again I will definitely take it in. My 2017 has 90k miles and i've had no major issues
Old 02-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you. I was low. Added more and seem to be good now.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had similar symptoms and my thermostat was leaking. I saw two other people here with similar issue. I would definitely have it checked out.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by noxqzs View Post
I had similar symptoms and my thermostat was leaking. I saw two other people here with similar issue. I would definitely have it checked out.
good advice- thank you
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I didn't get the coolant level low warning but "Check engine" light instead. At the same time, the cruise control system was also malfunction.
I used OBD11 to scan the system and got the coolant issue in return. In order not to run out of coolant, I prepare a bottle of water for just in cases on my way home from mountains.
Fortunately, I got it replaced under warranty.

Here is the "issue".

Furthermore, if you can see the water stain while applying oil change service. You should be aware of the problem in this early sign.

Last edited by markchen; 02-11-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low coolant level?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: