Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Lower part of seat heat hot even when seat heat is off

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I've replaced many seat heaters on many different brands of cars.....i have NEVER heard of a seat heater that is part of a leather covering. this makes no sense at all. The seat heater is a pad that is simply held in place by adhesive, it's like a huge band-aid. You simply pull it off and stick on a new one. Just look it up in the parts book, and you can clearly see the pad separate from the leather with it's own part number Something doesn't make any sense here... Seems like your dealer is spewing all sorts of stuff out thinking that the customer is too dumb to know they are clueless.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I've replaced many seat heaters on many different brands of cars.....i have NEVER heard of a seat heater that is part of a leather covering. this makes no sense at all. The seat heater is a pad that is simply held in place by adhesive, it's like a huge band-aid. You simply pull it off and stick on a new one. Just look it up in the parts book, and you can clearly see the pad separate from the leather with it's own part number Something doesn't make any sense here... Seems like your dealer is spewing all sorts of stuff out thinking that the customer is too dumb to know they are clueless.
Not sure what they would get out of doing that...not like I'm paying for it. Maybe the SA is just mis-communicating?? Whatever...so long as they fix it.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Louie
I'm assuming they meant that there wasn't a fuse JUST for the seat heater. I would not have wanted to take the fuse out and lose the other functionality on that same fuse when it was easy enough just to unplug the green connector under the seat.

Anyway, apparently I'm not the only one with this problem and from what I was told today, the heating element in question is part of the seat leather so they've ordered a new one. This should be interesting.

I'm having a hard time with this, logically. If the controller (in the head unit) is off, how is one part of the seat still hot and how would replacing that part of the seat fix the issue, I wonder. Seems like the setting isn't being relayed to the heating element in that part of the seat, which seems more like a controller issue. Then again, I don't pretend to understand how the system works.
Good luck. Audi never did fix my soft close doors. They finally gave up and told me I was at fault. Not sure how you misuse a soft close door and they couldn’t tell me either.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

You have to remember, most of the time SAs are dealing with people that have no clue about anything car related, except where to put their coffee or coke (the liquid type). I think some of them gotten used to treat everyone through a prism of clueessness because it's easier to assume that you know nothing about what they are talking about. I really try to follow the old lawyer tenet, "never ask questions you don't know the answers to", that's why I do my own research and check the manuals first. I may not be able to get anything done myself (not having all the right tools or access to spare parts), but at least I would know I'm not being BS'd to.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I can assure you that the VAG seats are made not like seats of other brands. And that the OP's SA is not trying to BS the customer. Their seat cushions do have seat heater elements sewed in/stitched together with the leather cushion and some backing materials. It is impossible to replace seat heater without destroying the whole thing. I know this because I had seat heater issue on my previous VAG vehicle and I did see this thing with my own eyes. Hard to understand why they've decided to go with such a design, but there must be a reason... real or "just because". Needless to say that a cushion assembly is outrageously expensive - whether its is butt's or back's cushion - around $1K or so.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Louie
Not sure what they would get out of doing that...not like I'm paying for it. Maybe the SA is just mis-communicating?? Whatever...so long as they fix it.
When they'll get you a new seat cushion - beware that its color might be not exactly the same as it was. It'll be a good idea to ask your SA to show replacement part before they will install it. Minor variations in color are acceptable, but it could be very noticeable. Also watch for mismatching of the leather's grain. When I was dealing with similar issue in the past - it cost me quite an effort to get perfectly matching seat cushion replacement - on second attempt and with additional pressure through corporate rep.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

FYI,

Notice point 4 and 6 - "Heating element sewn into cover"
Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for these...this is consistent with what they're telling me, and unfortunately it's going to take a while to get the part. I've had the loaner a couple weeks already and it's going to be another 2 weeks to get the part. Crazy.