Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Luxury- or Adaptive Chassis Package or...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Luxury- or Adaptive Chassis Package or...

perhaps both?

What would you do? Are those packages worth their price? What would/have you picked? Any feedback/experience welcome!

I would assume they both work hand in hand nicely to improve the driving experience so in the end, I might HAVE to take them both. LOL!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
perhaps both?

What would you do? Are those packages worth their price? What would/have you picked? Any feedback/experience welcome!

I would assume they both work hand in hand nicely to improve the driving experience so in the end, I might HAVE to take them both. LOL!

the true price is determined by how long you will keep the car. I plan for 4 years only, about 50k miles....estimating car will be worth only 45% of original purchase price...so the $10k combined cost of the options of luxury and adaptive package only costs $5.5k when factoring in selling the car 4 years later.

I only test drove premium plus without luxury and adaptive, but ordered prestige with luxury and adaptive because I knew it would not be a scenario where I was 'unhappy' with it. Purchase is about 85k, hope to sell it for 39-40k (45-47% of original purchase) in 4 years...that is about $950-1000/month depreciation cost.

hope that helps

Last edited by AWTX; 10-14-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were ordering and didn't mind the wait, the second option I'd get would be the
Adaptive Chassis. (First option for me is rear side airbags). And the primary reason for me would be the 4 wheel steering. Not that there aren't benefits with air suspension, I just love the maneuverability you get with 4 wheel steering. Unfortunately, I can't find one with my specs coming in soon, so I am doing without.

For me, the Luxury package isn't worth it, so I really can't advise you there.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by noblemom
If I were ordering and didn't mind the wait, the second option I'd get would be the
Adaptive Chassis. (First option for me is rear side airbags). And the primary reason for me would be the 4 wheel steering. Not that there aren't benefits with air suspension, I just love the maneuverability you get with 4 wheel steering. Unfortunately, I can't find one with my specs coming in soon, so I am doing without.

For me, the Luxury package isn't worth it, so I really can't advise you there.
I skipped the adaptive chassis and went luxury.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I thought about the adaptive chassis but decided I really don't need it, and I was also scared off by people telling me I'd need to replace it at some point for at least the original $4k cost. The cedar brown leather in the luxury package is nice, and I liked the soft close doors, but neither was worth anywhere close to $6k in my mind.

My dealer told me most people weren't doing much beyond Prestige, Cold Weather and Driver Assistance, which is what I did. Being here is a self-selecting activity, so I think you'll find a higher percentage of people who sprung for more packages.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I skipped both. My reasoning:
Adaptive - great to have but too expensive. Places I go don't need small turn radius. I don't go offroad so no use for high clearance. Lowering vehicle at high speed helps mpg but the saving is far from justifying the cost. The standard suspension is superb!
Luxury - again great to have but too expensive imo. In any case, my wife actually dislikes the luxury seat, so that's a veto.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wished that I could got both but I went with the Adaptive chassis instead because I wanted the smoother ride and 4 wheel steering. The 4 wheel steering helps out a lot in parking lot considering that this SUV is quite larger than my Honda Pilot.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't be buying a new Q7 anytime soon or in the future. I think it is too much car for my needs. However, if I were to buy one today, here's my take on the Luxury and Adaptive Chassis Packages:

Luxury package:
Four-way power lumbar adjustment and massage function on front seats
Comfort front seats
Alcantara® headliner
Valcona leather
Extended leather package
Power soft-closing doors
It seems the luxury package will be useful if I drive through traffic or long distances most of the week. The massage feature and comfort seats will help ease fatigue caused by extended driving in highway or traffic conditions.

I do not care much for Valcona Leather or the Alcantara Headliner. That microfiber headliner will be much more difficult to clean compared to the regular material they use.

I do not see any value on the extended leather package unless I am driving an exotic car or something like that. Faux leather is fine with me.

I would not care about the power soft-closing doors. A nice-to-have feature but not something I will need.

Overall, for my needs, the luxury pack won't do me any good since I no longer drive long distances and through high-traffic conditions. I'd save my $6k for something else.

Adaptive chassis package
Audi adaptive air suspension
All-wheel steering with vehicle speed-dependent control
In this forum, I have read a lot about the benefits of air suspensions and I'd like to try them out. For this reason, I would get it especially when I am just leasing the vehicle or plan to sell it after a 3 or 4 years of ownership. If I plan to keep it for more than 5 years, I would be ready for the expense of getting these things fixed when they leak.

All-wheel steering, I can live without it. However, if it comes in a package with the air suspension then I'll be glad to have it. It is another nice-to-have but not essential.

So, to conclude, I would get the adaptive chassis package simply because both the adaptive air suspension and all-wheel steering adds to the fun factor in driving the Q7. I would not care for the luxury package because I don't feel that it will be of benefit to me. This is because I don't see myself in my car that much compared to other folks.

Here's the bottom line, it is fine to get other people's opinion on these two packages but at the end of the day, it is you who needs to make the decision based on your wants and needs. I suggest you go through each feature under each package and rate them as "must have" or "nice to have". Write down the reason for "must have" and be honest with yourself as to why you "must have it". If you find out that all this 'tech' and 'fancy features' don't really mean a thing for you then don't get them. Save that money ($10k) for some other expense such as Audi Care or other need.

Just my $0.02 on this matter. Cheers!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like my cars fully l loaded, so I ordered both... I find both of them very useful, whether they're overprices is another question (I think they are).

Adaptive chassis - the car just rides much better with air suspension, no question about it and the four wheel steering is a godsend in tight spaces / parking lots.

Luxury - I mostly do long trips in the car and the massage function is great. I also really like the soft close doors - I do a lot of night driving with two little kids in the car and not waking them up by slamming the doors every time we stop makes it worth it for me.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think these two options are in the category of being personally subjective to each owner. You will find many with one or the other, with both, or with none, all very happy with their decision. I think in general you will find those that have skipped one or both are content with their decision and I have yet to here anyone with both unhappy that made that choice. Both options are not easily found on dealer lots to even check out (particularly the Luxury package) so I believe a big deciding factor for many perspective buyers is simply the cost. Again, this is subjective based on each owner. Other then the B&O, I believe they are the two most expensive options.

I have both and I can say after 4 months of ownership and 4k miles, I would not buy my next Q7 without them. I love love the luxury package. Not for the extended leather (kind of a joke actually given my wifes new Mazda6 has leather in all the same areas for no charge), not for the Alcantara (personally could care less), and not even for the soft close doors (though they are cool :-). It's the seats and Valcona leather. If you like to truly and fully be able to dial in your seats to fit you in that hugging custom sort of way they are amazing. The massage feature is great as well and its not some gimmicky $99 Brookstone vibrator, its pretty darn great with several programs that vary in their patterns with both rolling, pushing and kneading. I do think $6k for the package is a bit much (after all we all would like everything in life to be less costly), but when you break down all of it, not terrible and I would buy it again again in a heartbeat after now having it.

The adaptive chassis on the other hand I feel is priced right given whats involved. The ride is definitely a big improvement over the standard suspension where I drive. This is the key. Many potential buyers go out to their dealer and drive one Q7 with the adaptive and one without back to back for a few spins around the dealership streets and then wonder...hmm $4k? Prob not needed and pass. I was fortunate to spend time in both types of suspensions (had loaners for a few days) in my actual neighborhood, driving all the roads I use daily. This is where the difference shows. Additionally, the 4 wheel steering is excellent both in handling and turning radius.

Now all that said, we are talking $10k in options. Thats a lot of $$ to the bottom line, so I would find a budget you are comfortable spending and then weigh out your options.

Quick Reply: Luxury- or Adaptive Chassis Package or...