Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Maintenance Cost Q7 20K

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanCC
Not trying to hijack this tread. But since we're talking about maintenance cost and Audi care... is there any package other than Audi Care worth purchasing upfront. I'm about to pick up my Q7. One of the things the finance is trying to sell me is Term Care, which costs $2145. I found this brochure below explaining the coverage. Any thought?

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...chure-2016.pdf
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-this-worth-it

"IMO money better spent on extending the warranty if you own the car. The point of this coverage on a brand new car is hard to imagine."

2k is too much IMO for whats being offered

Originally Posted by BigKutta
How long is this coverage for?
4yr, 50k
Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Pirate

"IMO money better spent on extending the warranty if you own the car. The point of this coverage on a brand new car is hard to imagine."

4yr, 50k
What a ripoff!!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Pirate

4yr, 50k
Thanks. That make sense. It only covers brake pads and shoes, not rotors. Battery and wipers are cheap. I might be better off by putting the $2100 in my own "car maintenance fund" and take the chance.

Is extended warranty something you can buy at the expiration of the original warranty? It's hard to say if we are going to own the car more than 5 years or not.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, how much is brake pad replacement (all 4) for a Q7? My dealer also pushed hard to sell brake pad/rotor coverage for ~2000$ (3 years) and then halved the price but I noticed they also reduced coverage to 2 years obviously not mentioning that little detail. I do a fair amount of highways usage so I figured I wouldn't really need brake pad replacement within 2 years. I love that they still have the audacity to say give us all 10 score in the survery after all that pushy financing.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
Out of curiosity, how much is brake pad replacement (all 4) for a Q7? My dealer also pushed hard to sell brake pad/rotor coverage for ~2000$ (3 years) and then halved the price but I noticed they also reduced coverage to 2 years obviously not mentioning that little detail. I do a fair amount of highways usage so I figured I wouldn't really need brake pad replacement within 2 years. I love that they still have the audacity to say give us all 10 score in the survery after all that pushy financing.
I want to know that as well. But be careful. My dealer told me it's "brake pads and rotors" under the term care. But the truth is it only covers brake pads and shoes, not rotors. He also told me I need a brake jobs around 2 years, which I highly doubt. Then he said the job costs about $3000 so the protection "pays itself". I politely refused by saying I need to research before buying.

It's smart that every car dealer has a dedicated liar to sell you these instead of selling through your SA. Otherwise I feel no one will go back next time.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanCC
Thanks. That make sense. It only covers brake pads and shoes, not rotors. Battery and wipers are cheap. I might be better off by putting the $2100 in my own "car maintenance fund" and take the chance.

Is extended warranty something you can buy at the expiration of the original warranty? It's hard to say if we are going to own the car more than 5 years or not.
I am fast approaching 50K mark, should get there within the next 6 months. With all the advanced technology I am little nervous about being out of warranty however my Q7 has been reliable so I will take my chance by putting money into my own "car maintenance fund"
Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

My plan is to replace most of the self-maintenance items myself, and I have a good indy mechanic of heavier duty things. Agree that money is better spent towards the extended warranty, if planning to keep the car past factory warranty limits.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Maintainance plans and service plans.... what to do

We just bought a 2018 Q7 with 5500 miles on it from an Audi Dealership in Sacramento CA....(We have previously owned 2, A6 3T Quattro's; 2000 and 2008). We drive about 18K to 20K per year and have always bought a 5yr / 100K extended warranty plan and, it has always more than paid for itself. So..... We bought the Audi Pure Protection (APP) plan ($4930) which extends the 5yr / 50k factory plan for 2 years with unlimited mileage. We were told that this will make it a 7yr unlimited mileage wrap around plan (which for us makes it potentially a 140K mile plan).. I was a bit suspect because on the purchase paper work the extended plan does not start until the end of 5 year plan... doing the math... we will hit 50K in about 2-1/2years... leaving a gap between the two plans.... The dealer contacted Audi Corp and has assured me that there is no gap and it is a full 7 year unlimited mileage plan... I have asked to get this in writing... I will let you know.... One thing good is that we can cancel the plan for a refund up until the 5/50 ends. If you only drive 10K per year this is not the plan for you...

We also looked at the Audi Care 50K scheduled maintenance plan for $869 (see attached). It seems like a good deal (if you take your car to an Audi dealer that charges $195/hr for someone that gets $15/hr to change your oil) and, we were told that we have until "before" we reach 10K to signup.... Once you reach 50K you can sign up for another 10K (Audi Care Select; pg 2) (today priced at $282). These plans continue in 10K increments until ending at 90K ($302, $307, $197). Still shopping on this one...

We also looked at the "Term Protection Plans" (see attached) They quoted us $2689 for a 5year 60K plan which "includes" rotor replacement.... and, given our annual mileage it would be a 3+year plan... The big ticket item are the brakes "and" rotors that will need to be replaced before $60k (the big bonus with the 5yr vs the 4yr plan is that you get 2 sets of wipers rather than just 1set.... Wowzer!! what a deal...:{! ) ... Our experience with our other Audi's is that we have always had to have the rotors replaced "with" the brakes ($800+for the rotors) and, we usually get around 50K on a set... If you read the Q7 brake and rotor Thread, some have talked about replacing the brakes and rotors with with a longer lasting "harder" setup rather than using Audi OME "softer" shorter lasting setup ... we do a lot of freeway driving....and stopping quickly at 80 mph is important... but the breaking system on the Q7 was designed for the autobahn at 100+mph.... I'm not sure if this is the way to go.... I have time to figure it out...

Hope this helps.... OK, I'll bite, What is an indie mechanic?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

An "indie" is a shop which is not the dealer. Usually owned by an older gentleman with a German accent which will charge you 60% of what the dealer will charge you. A good choice for brake work.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike95776 - thanks for nice rundown/summary - really good info! I’m going thru the same process of trying to figure out what plans to get and when to get them. As I get older I have less interest in doing maintenance and minor repairs myself. The owner of the independent VW/Audi/Porsche service shop I’ve been going to since the 1980’s recently retired and it took me one visit to realize the new ownership is barely a step up from Pep Boys. So until I find another local shop I can trust, I’ll be relying on the dealer’s service department (which luckily is extremely good but also extremely expensive).