Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts
Default March 2016 Edition Motor Trend - 2017 Audi Q7 First Test Review

2017 Audi Q7 First Test Review - Motor Trend
Old 01-12-2022, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My ’21 Q5e has about 16K miles on it now after about 10 months. Generally, I run it on EV for local errands - I don’t need 0-60 in 4.5 seconds in a town with a 30mph speed limit. It stays plugged in at home, and is almost always ready with a full charge. Here in upstate NY, running on electric is about half the price of gas, and I like that.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that power management is a pain, and I disagree. If I need to exercise my inner machismo (or get on to the highway quickly), I just drop it into Sport mode. The acceleration G-forces don’t exactly pin the skin back on my face, but it’s good enough.

My weekly work commute is 200 miles each way, a different story. When first looking at PHEV’s and bought this one, I didn’t realize they don’t recharge as you drive the same way a mild hybrid does, so was surprised when all the battery capacity would just disappear. My bad. Using the MMI’s navigation system will distribute battery use in hybrid mode for the length of the trip that’s dialed in. Which is fine if you’re not on a round trip, in which case you’ll have zero battery on the ride home. I’ve given up on the MMI nav anyway. Apple and Google maps do a much better job IMO than the MMI’s clunky, glacial interface. Fuel economy on those all-interstate trips at about 70mph hovers in the low 30s, BTW.

All that said (and ignoring some of the problems I’ve complained about in earlier posts), this is a great car, if not a little weird. I’m waiting for a 400+ mile range EV I can afford, and will trade up when one appears on the market. It’s nice to hear everyone’s experiences and thoughts in this group.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by fiddler55
My ’21 Q5e has about 16K miles on it now after about 10 months. Generally, I run it on EV for local errands - I don’t need 0-60 in 4.5 seconds in a town with a 30mph speed limit. It stays plugged in at home, and is almost always ready with a full charge. Here in upstate NY, running on electric is about half the price of gas, and I like that.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that power management is a pain, and I disagree. If I need to exercise my inner machismo (or get on to the highway quickly), I just drop it into Sport mode. The acceleration G-forces don’t exactly pin the skin back on my face, but it’s good enough.

My weekly work commute is 200 miles each way, a different story. When first looking at PHEV’s and bought this one, I didn’t realize they don’t recharge as you drive the same way a mild hybrid does, so was surprised when all the battery capacity would just disappear. My bad. Using the MMI’s navigation system will distribute battery use in hybrid mode for the length of the trip that’s dialed in. Which is fine if you’re not on a round trip, in which case you’ll have zero battery on the ride home. I’ve given up on the MMI nav anyway. Apple and Google maps do a much better job IMO than the MMI’s clunky, glacial interface. Fuel economy on those all-interstate trips at about 70mph hovers in the low 30s, BTW.

All that said (and ignoring some of the problems I’ve complained about in earlier posts), this is a great car, if not a little weird. I’m waiting for a 400+ mile range EV I can afford, and will trade up when one appears on the market. It’s nice to hear everyone’s experiences and thoughts in this group.

The following 3 users liked this post by Force-1:
2kwik4u (01-12-2022), audisession (01-12-2022), keg97 (01-12-2022)