Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

MATRIX LED may soon be offered in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default MATRIX LED may soon be offered in Canada

Hey guys, I just wanted to post here because I feel like Canadian owners should know more about this topic

I've been posting in the A4 section, but click on this thread to learn more about the progress of possibly seeing MATRIX LED headlights in Canada!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...anada-2934616/

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
While it is too soon to celebrate, I have received new words from the Regulations Officer that, "Transport Canada solicited comments from stakeholders regarding the allowance for new lighting technologies (AFS and ADB) in Canada. We received comments from stakeholders on this matter and have taken those comments into consideration while working on the Canada Gazette, Part II final regulation publication. At this time, it is our intention to allow the use of ADB on vehicles in Canada, meeting the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice J3069, Adaptive Driving Beam."

For those unfamiliar, SAE J3069 are the guidelines used for adaptive headlights that is used under UN Regulation 48. These are the same guidelines used for the active MATRIX/MULTIBEAM headlights you see sold in Europe. Since Transport Canada has indicated that they will update the CMVSS to meet SAE J3069, among others, that will make European automotive vehicles a lot more aligned with EU-spec than NA-spec coming to Canada.

How was this possible:
- Canada has passed the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) with EU not too long ago, allowing for a free trade agreement between Canada-EU market. Under CETA mandated a cooperation in the field of motor vehicle regulations under Article 4. Under consideration of the allowance of AFS/ADB was based on UN Regulations 48; which was not included in the annexed regulations. (Tables can be found here: Text of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement ? Annex 4) So as of now, UN48 was under an amendment change which is showing promising results.

What we know:
- Gazette Part 2 of the "Regulations Amending the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Interpretation and Standards 108 and 108.1)" is expected to be released by the end of this year. Which means that manufactures can implement the changes immediately on the date of publication of Part 2.

What will come:
- Active MATRIX LED will most likely be sold (subject to Audi of course) in 2019 models with no limitations to the technology since it would be permitted in Canada.

What that means for US:
-
Historically, Canada has maintained or pursued close motor regulations to be aligned with US to help reduce trade barriers under NAFTA. The current US gov't is attacking NAFTA balance, but that's a whole other story to talk about. Since Canada has a trade agreement with EU, Canada is making part in the deal to align with EU regulations as well, despite many not applicable to US regulations. Since US has no direct relationships with EU, the SAE J3069 standard cannot be applied. Unfortunately, US regulation FMVSS 108 doesn't seem to be in the progression of an update anytime soon.
Therefore, Canada will allow the technology and US will not.
We may see the active MATRIX LED being sold in Canada but not in US, if Audi so chooses to offer it in the Canadian market.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

As a US resident, I'd be fine if Audi waited several years to offer this in the US since I just bought an '18 Q7. I'd be disappointed if I missed some more cool stuff by a year. Kind of like buying a '15 Q7 and seeing how cool the MK2 is.

Just my own opinion.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have seen, Matrix LEDs aren't a panacea and basically are high beams that adjust to avoid dazzling other drivers. They carve out a dimmer spot in the light pattern for cars in front of you, including those driving in the same direction. So, you end up having bright spots and less bright spots moving around as cars move around on the road. This has to be a little distracting. I'm not positive, but if there are too many cars on the road, I'm assuming it basically shuts off. Also, these systems generally don't work in the city as they activate only above a certain speed.

Laser lights are exceptionally bright, above and beyond normal high beams. I think that's what people may think they are getting with a matrix LED, but I don't believe matrix LEDs are brighter than normal LEDs in high beam mode. Oh, and laser LEDs are available in the US on the R8.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drive4fun
From what I have seen, Matrix LEDs aren't a panacea and basically are high beams that adjust to avoid dazzling other drivers. They carve out a dimmer spot in the light pattern for cars in front of you, including those driving in the same direction. So, you end up having bright spots and less bright spots moving around as cars move around on the road. This has to be a little distracting. I'm not positive, but if there are too many cars on the road, I'm assuming it basically shuts off. Also, these systems generally don't work in the city as they activate only above a certain speed.

Laser lights are exceptionally bright, above and beyond normal high beams. I think that's what people may think they are getting with a matrix LED, but I don't believe matrix LEDs are brighter than normal LEDs in high beam mode. Oh, and laser LEDs are available in the US on the R8.
Yes, that's the purpose of the MATRIX LED by offering good road illumination while not dazzling drivers with the high beams. It's capable of dimming multiple cars. Distracting, perhaps initially, but it shouldn't for the most part. I don't think people should be confusing laser lights with "MATRIX LED", and since laser lights is offered in a very specific model, I'm even sure most people are even unaware of it. Laser is totally different and it's not called "Laser LED". It's function offers a far more full beam range; but it's still effectively a low/high beam mode. MATRIX LASER on the other hand, is probably what you are referring to, but that's a concept and I'm pretty sure its not available.

The good part of MATRIX is that it can help illuminate the road ahead and illuminate the side to see pedestrians. It works well and it does offer better safety.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the laser diode is a supplement to the matrix led for essentially ultra high powered beams. Matrix LED does what you said but I can see why it is having some problems getting certified because it's definitely distracting at first, to both the driver and potentially other cars.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It can be argued if these lights really make such of a difference. The fact though that we are simply not ALLOWED to have them in the US due to a law from the ice-age is nothing short of an embarrassment for this country..

Unless you want to argue that drivers in the U.S. are not capable of handling these lights like the rest of the world...
Old 10-20-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Unless you want to argue that drivers in the U.S. are not capable of handling these lights like the rest of the world...
Actually, I would argue the opposite. Americans are incapable of handling regular headlights right now!! I'm tired of getting blinded by clueless people driving with their high beams on. We need to dumb it down, Matrix headlights for everyone !!!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Actually, I would argue the opposite. Americans are incapable of handling regular headlights right now!! I'm tired of getting blinded by clueless people driving with their high beams on. We need to dumb it down, Matrix headlights for everyone !!!
You certainly got my vote on that one!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hello fellow Canadians! I have some wonderful news because as of March 21, 2018, MATRIX LED headlights are now legal as of today in Canada.

This change in our CMVSS can be found here at the Canada Gazette Part 2 publication entitled, Regulations Amending the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Interpretation and Standards 108 and 108.1): SOR/2018-43
(http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2018/2018-03-21/html/sor-dors43-eng.html)

Subject to subsection (4), instead of being equipped with headlamps as required under subsection (1) or (2), as the case may be, passenger cars, three-wheeled vehicles, multi-purpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses may be equipped with adaptive driving beam lamps that conform to SAE Recommended Practice J3069, Adaptive Driving Beam(June 2016), except that the lamps shall not be capable of activation or deactivation by pedal.

i have yet to fully read that regulation changes and I'm currently at work so I'll get back to this forum hehe
Old 03-21-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Hello fellow Canadians! I have some wonderful news because as of March 21, 2018, MATRIX LED headlights are now legal as of today in Canada.

This change in our CMVSS can be found here at the Canada Gazette Part 2 publication entitled, Regulations Amending the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Interpretation and Standards 108 and 108.1): SOR/2018-43
(Regulations Amending the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Interpretation and Standards 108 and 108.1): SOR/2018-43)

i have yet to fully read that regulation changes and I'm currently at work so I'll get back to this forum hehe
Good for you guys. I dont the think the LEDs in the Q can be coded, so you are SOL until you get a new Q7

Quick Reply: MATRIX LED may soon be offered in Canada