Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

MATRIX LED may soon be offered in Canada

Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

I have Matrix LEDs on both our S5 models. Rarely use the Matrix function, because it freaks out other drivers. It might be masking the beam from their eyes, but everything around them is lit up like day time, so they flash their lights in confusion. And it isn't possible to flash them back. Extremely impressive spread of light. In more remote areas, fantastic visibility. They operate at any speed, but they do use the GPS to identify built up areas, etc.

Laser lighting now also more mainstream as it is an option on the new A8, A7, and shortly A6 models. It is that system that will not operate below 70kph. If you aren't driving on an autobahn, not sure you need the lasers.

On the new A7, HD Matrix are a Euro 1600 up charge over standard LED. HD Matrix Laser are a further 1000 more. So not cheap. For the Q7, upgrade to Matrix LED likely to be around $1000 or so, if Audi maintain their generous FX hedging. Otherwise, add 50%. Good to have the choice. And I like the dynamic (sweeping) turn indicators being front and rear
Old 03-21-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, this will have to be an optional upgrade in the future. Hopefully the 19' model will offer MATRIX LED in Canada
Old 03-21-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
I have Matrix LEDs on both our S5 models. Rarely use the Matrix function, because it freaks out other drivers. It might be masking the beam from their eyes, but everything around them is lit up like day time, so they flash their lights in confusion. And it isn't possible to flash them back. Extremely impressive spread of light. In more remote areas, fantastic visibility. They operate at any speed, but they do use the GPS to identify built up areas, etc.

Laser lighting now also more mainstream as it is an option on the new A8, A7, and shortly A6 models. It is that system that will not operate below 70kph. If you aren't driving on an autobahn, not sure you need the lasers.

On the new A7, HD Matrix are a Euro 1600 up charge over standard LED. HD Matrix Laser are a further 1000 more. So not cheap. For the Q7, upgrade to Matrix LED likely to be around $1000 or so, if Audi maintain their generous FX hedging. Otherwise, add 50%. Good to have the choice. And I like the dynamic (sweeping) turn indicators being front and rear
Hey Glisse, in Europe is the dynamic sweep turn signals only on models with MATRIX headlamps or do standard LED lamps also have the dynamic turn?
Old 03-22-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

European Q7 owner here. I have matrix lights and totally love them. I really would not like to go back to the old system. they illuminate everything and dim only needed parts. I have had no experience with other drivers being distracted and i myself definitely do not find them to be any type of distraction. In fact, I would say they are a great safety feature. I never have to worry about high beam low beam ..... just set it to auto and life is great. I think ....maybe i am wrong...that people criticising these lights are those people who have never used this great technology. Try it first and then tell me if you think they are bad......

Last edited by Gani; 03-22-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Gani
European Q7 owner here. I have matrix lights and totally love them. I really would not like to go back to the old system. they illuminate everything and dim only needed parts. I have had no experience with other drivers being distracted and i myself definitely do not find them to be any type of distraction. In fact, I would say they are a great safety feature. I never have to worry about high beam low beam ..... just set it to auto and life is great. I think ....maybe i am wrong...that people criticising these lights are those people who have never used this great technology. Try it first and then tell me if you think they are bad......
Hi Gani, I started a new thread with some questions about the matrix led, could you share your experience?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...light-2945551/
Old 10-16-2018, 02:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have these on my UK S5, they are amazing
Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Audi has already stated that the Q8 will be equipped with matrix lights that can be activated when approved in the US so they must be fairly confident its gonna be allowed. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman
Audi has already stated that the Q8 will be equipped with matrix lights that can be activated when approved in the US so they must be fairly confident its gonna be allowed. Fingers crossed.
That’s not really an indication of a promising assumption that Washington is going to be changing their automotive laws anytime soon. The reason why Audi is putting these matrix LEDs on the Q8 is because the Q8 is a specialized vehicle (sales won’t be big compared to their more popular models) with their specialized headlights; they won’t spend the extra to create a separate “US only” headlight in production. This is exactly the case with Mercedes É-class headlights. This is the case for Porsche as well.

Heck, even US doesn’t even mandate DRL, so US is far from even updating their automotive laws. Such to allow advanced headlights can be mandated by allowing European laws as an alternative to their own (which Canada has done to allow these technology now); and we know how the current administration looks down on their allies...
Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg

That’s not really an indication of a promising assumption that Washington is going to be changing their automotive laws anytime soon. The reason why Audi is putting these matrix LEDs on the Q8 is because the Q8 is a specialized vehicle (sales won’t be big compared to their more popular models) with their specialized headlights; they won’t spend the extra to create a separate “US only” headlight in production. This is exactly the case with Mercedes É-class headlights. This is the case for Porsche as well.

Heck, even US doesn’t even mandate DRL, so US is far from even updating their automotive laws. Such to allow advanced headlights can be mandated by allowing European laws as an alternative to their own (which Canada has done to allow these technology now); and we know how the current administration looks down on their allies...
Two thoughts:
1. I’m great with that as someone will hack the system and enable full MATRIX function.
2. Audi went so far as to state this about the Q8 which makes me wonder. Could be a sales gimmick I suppose.
BTW Bentley has MATRIX lights that are just disabled for the US too-all these cars are part of VW.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman

Two thoughts:
1. I’m great with that as someone will hack the system and enable full MATRIX function.
2. Audi went so far as to state this about the Q8 which makes me wonder. Could be a sales gimmick I suppose.
BTW Bentley has MATRIX lights that are just disabled for the US too-all these cars are part of VW.
I hope so! I mean, I’ve heard that the MATRIX LED can be gps disabled as well 😩
It just sucks that all these old laws are preventing people from getting this technology. Some will call it a gimmick, but I see it as a huge safety benefit. So I hope US can update their laws as soon as possible.