Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Mid cycle refresh gets touch screens

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to say that this is not just a minor refresh. Considering the interior changes, that's quite impressive!

BTW, anybody else noticed these blue parts in the headlights? Laser, perhaps?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad they're not putting exhaust tips despite the exhaust being at the bottom of the car, because that would be tacky, but still sad to see them removed. I think they always add to a car's sportiness.

Have we gone full circle from about 15 years ago, where touch screens were a distraction and BMW put out the iDrive ****? Now we're back to 'touchscreens are OK?'
Old 11-07-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just spent some time checking out the new Q8, and although the shinny touchscreen initially looks good, they quickly get dirty, there's glare, and of course the loss of many incredible tactile feeling/sounding buttons Audi is known for. I think this is the same scenario as the loss of manual gearboxes, some luv the new auto tech and others want to be more connected and row thier own...

Last edited by RJC 1; 11-07-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dasaint
Look like it's the touchscreen treatment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...dashboard/amp/
Great find...thanks for sharing

Old 11-07-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
I just spent some time checking out the new Q8, and although the shinny touchscreen initially looks good, they quickly get dirty, there's glare, and of course the loss of the incredible tactile feel/sounds of the buttons Audi is known for. I think this is the same scenario as the loss of manual gearboxes, some luv the new auto tech and others want to be more connected and row thier own...
Good point. Supposedly the screen has haptic feedback. My main gripe is fingerprints.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman

Good point. Supposedly the screen has haptic feedback. My main gripe is fingerprints.
Don't know if it helps, but the first thing I'll do is put screen protectors on there...
Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Those with this type of setup should have little spray bottle of screen cleaner and a micro fiber within arms reach
Old 11-07-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an incredibly huge blunder, (1) moving the pop up screen to BELOW the vents, and (2) switching to touchscreens, the worst idea ever conceived. Such idiocy.

I'd never consider that car or the Q8 for that reason alone. My former Explorer used a touchscreen below the vents; dangerous, distracting, and pure ****.

Last edited by 911eric; 11-07-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

My college classmate works for a large automotive component supplier - all cars will move to screens and buttons will disappear - the primary reason is not that it’s somehow better for the driver - it’s for cost reasons : at scale screen based systems are much cheaper than current button and **** based systems

Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 911eric
What an incredibly huge blunder, (1) moving the pop up screen to BELOW the vents, and (2) switching to touchscreens, the worst idea ever conceived. Such idiocy.

I'd never consider that car or the Q8 for that reason alone. My former Explorer used a touchscreen below the vents; dangerous, distracting, and pure ****.
You can do just about everything from the steering wheel and virtual cockpit or voice command. I don't even know the last time I used the MMI **** and screen in my car. The screens are cool and work very well, but outside of adjusting the heated/ ventilated seat settings there is really no need to use them while driving.

Quick Reply: Mid cycle refresh gets touch screens