Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Minor annoyances and "did they really?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
These all sound like logical safety items...
ALSO did you know that if you come to a stop, and press the Engine start/stop button, that the car augomatically engages the transmission into Park?
Yes, happens in all keyless cars (atleast the ones I've driven)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck there’s been several situations where I’ve wanted to move the car with the doors open: Backing up ramps to perform inspection/maintenance/learning activities, pass a 24” pipe wrench on a back road and back up to ****** it off the ground, leave the door open on an all wheel drive dyno to perform tunes, moving the car 10’ to make room for the backhoe I wouldn’t normally close the door or even pull my left leg into the car. Letting the dog out to herd cattle id normally push the brake, let her jump out, push the gas and close the door while in motion. Lots of low speed door open driving in my back woods and country experiences. Just sucks the park brake getting slammed on me all the time. I’ll check out the link up there and adjust my habits I suppose.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
These all sound like logical safety items...
ALSO did you know that if you come to a stop, and press the Engine start/stop button, that the car augomatically engages the transmission into Park?
Originally Posted by BigKutta
Yes, happens in all keyless cars (atleast the ones I've driven)
And don't forget being able to hit the gas and disengage the parking brake (not transmission Park) automatically.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BryonL
Heck there’s been several situations where I’ve wanted to move the car with the doors open: Backing up ramps to perform inspection/maintenance/learning activities, pass a 24” pipe wrench on a back road and back up to ****** it off the ground, leave the door open on an all wheel drive dyno to perform tunes, moving the car 10’ to make room for the backhoe I wouldn’t normally close the door or even pull my left leg into the car. Letting the dog out to herd cattle id normally push the brake, let her jump out, push the gas and close the door while in motion. Lots of low speed door open driving in my back woods and country experiences. Just sucks the park brake getting slammed on me all the time. I’ll check out the link up there and adjust my habits I suppose.
100% agree. I've been surprised by the auto-parking brake numerous time when doing final maneuvering of my trailer while camping - I'll either open the door for a better view, or more often get out to check something, then want to make a small movement where I would normally keep the door partly open for convenience as well as a better view. It also happens when I hop out to grab the mail from my mailbox at the curb before pulling the rest of the way in o my driveway. Unfortunately, hitting the gas to release the parking brake only works when you intentionally set it. If the car sets it because of an open door, hitting the gas will not overcome it.
I wish there was a setting to eliminate that function. I can understand having it is a safety feature by default, but I'd like to have the opportunity to permanently disengage it. Heck, I have VCDS so I could do it via coding, if only the option exists and I knew how..... it's gotta be in there somewhere?!?
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BryonL
These "safety feature" are designed for the 99.9% of the human race that could most likely run over themselves or other people, or fall out of moving cars, etc, and not the ones backing up on back roads to pick up a pipe wrench. Things are generally engineered to cater to the bigger problem, versus the smaller ones you outline.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

After the parking brake engages automatically due to an open door, if you shut off the parking brake, it will remain off and allow you to drive with the door open.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
After the parking brake engages automatically due to an open door, if you shut off the parking brake, it will remain off and allow you to drive with the door open.
Correct. While I havent stopped to pick up a wrench in my Q7 yet, this is how the feature is disengaged in BMW.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Appreciate all the info and the comments. Ha, I would probably consider myself as part of the .1% club! I’d imagine there is a way to code the setting out, not sure I’d do it with the multiple folks that drive the Q...
Old 04-07-2018, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Yes, me too! As a matter of fact one of my windows randomly rolled down a couple of inches one day. I chalked it up to my arm hitting the buttons, but I'm pretty sure I didnt touch it.
I caught it happening today, I tried to roll up both passenger and driver windows at the same time, and passenger window rolled down but driver window rolled up.
I knew I wasn't imagining, this is not the first time it has happened.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

I have a few long lights I sit at when coming home from work. When in my S5 I sometimes set e-brake and take my foot off brake pedal until light changes.

Tried this in my new Q7, and the motor started and stayed running. So it appears setting the e-brake turns off auto stop.

Quick Reply: Minor annoyances and "did they really?"