Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Minor annoyances and "did they really?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I would hate to forget rain sensing wipers on when I am at a car wash. I hated my BMW's rain sensing function (up to '15 they still had to be manually turned on) until I realized it was actually smarter because you really don't want your rain sensor to come on with a smallest drop and smear all over your windshield. Even at lowest sensitivity I had this on Q7, out of nowhere it wiped and made a mess. I have to train myself to keep the rain sensing wipers off.
Our local wash has a sign to remind us to turn wipers off. I do prefer the Audi's method of just bumping the stalk up one setting to auto and then beyond that has increased speeds. It's like that for Lexus and MB as well. MB has both auto high beams and wipers that don't need to be activated every time and, for me, that is the ideal set up. Very rarely do I need to turn off my wipers completely so just having it set to auto is the best for me.

I imagine on long trips, especially in the summer, auto wipers would be handy. It can be a sunny day but 15 mins in to a drive on the highway and you might hit some showers. It'd be nice to not have to turn on the auto wipers and then turn them off again if it showers intermittently.

Small things but the Germans are usually so good with design, regardless of manufacturer, but aside from MB, it appears no German make gives you all the options to be "set it and forget it."
Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What's up with the seatbelts tensioning and not letting go? Happens to front passenger, rear center and rear right seats. We can hear the clicking sound when we let go, it's like locking up not letting go with no way to release.
Any idea why this is happening? It pulled too tight for my son in his booster seat and there was no way to retract it enough to release the lock, we had to move him to center seat until we stopped, removed the seatbelt from booster completely and reset it. There should be a small button.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure it's been beaten more than the "deadest" horse, but that auto start/stop thing is getting on my nerves. Other than that, I'm quite happy, but then again after 2 weeks this is still the "honey moon" period.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidentist
I am sure it's been beaten more than the "deadest" horse, but that auto start/stop thing is getting on my nerves. Other than that, I'm quite happy, but then again after 2 weeks this is still the "honey moon" period.
Buy ODB11 and fix it. Best $79 investment i ever made. Pennies compared to the $70k you just spent on the vehicle.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

My 2012 Q7 TDI had extenders that slid out of the ends of the sun visors. They were particularly nice when the primary visor was moved over to the driver or passenger window since the extender would then slide out and block a longer area than the visor itself would. WHY, oh WHY, did they remove this feature in the new model?!? I'm sure it saved them a few cents...
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
My 2012 Q7 TDI had extenders that slid out of the ends of the sun visors. They were particularly nice when the primary visor was moved over to the driver or passenger window since the extender would then slide out and block a longer area than the visor itself would. WHY, oh WHY, did they remove this feature in the new model?!? I'm sure it saved them a few cents...
The visors DO Extend... you pull the entire visor over, not just an extension of the visor. Also there is a secondary visor that can come down when you put the primary visor to the side.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Removal of rear seat headrest is a pain. Not as simple as all the other cars I've owned before whereby you just press the release button and lift.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by timshuwy
The visors DO Extend... you pull the entire visor over, not just an extension of the visor. Also there is a secondary visor that can come down when you put the primary visor to the side.
No. In the old Q7, you also pulled the entire visor over and THEN there was an additional extension that would cover the rest of the driver/passenger side window to the door frame. It had the secondary visor as well. I never realized how much I used that extension until now that it is gone!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
No. In the old Q7, you also pulled the entire visor over and THEN there was an additional extension that would cover the rest of the driver/passenger side window to the door frame. It had the secondary visor as well. I never realized how much I used that extension until now that it is gone!
Albert, do you know that the primary visor can be extended by sliding it left/right on its post? Yes, it leaves the area to the left uncovered when you slight it to the right, but for me, that pretty much makes up for the missing little slide out panel that was on the old Q7.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Albert, do you know that the primary visor can be extended by sliding it left/right on its post? Yes, it leaves the area to the left uncovered when you slight it to the right, but for me, that pretty much makes up for the missing little slide out panel that was on the old Q7.
Originally Posted by timshuwy
RickObe: No, I did not know that. In retrospect, I guess that is what "timshuwy" was also referring to. I thought he was just referring to pulling the visor over to the side window (which seemed like an unusual comment to make). Thank you for the responses and the clarification! I will certainly try it out and am happy to hear that they didn't abandon the idea of adjustable visor coverage.

Quick Reply: Minor annoyances and "did they really?"