Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

MMI Android Auto and apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Android Auto and apple Carplay

Hi,

i own a new Audi Q7 for a few weeks now with the new MMI system and the Audi connect option and everything but it doenst have the Apple carplay or android auto on it.
Just sat in a brand new Audi A4 at my dealers showroom and it had it fitted to it.
Do i need an update of my MMI or am out of luck for being one of the first people buying one of these cars before the integrated these smartphone options?
Dealer didnt have a direct answer and needed to talk to the Belgian importer about this... sigh...
Maybe anyone here with the same problem or answer?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

bump
Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Do you have an option called "Audi Smartphone Interface"?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The first batch of Q7s in Europe didn't have Android Auto and Car Play fitted. It wasn't ready at the time the Q7 launched. No idea if Audi is planning an update for those who bought the car before Android Auto and Car Play.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Honestly, I've turned AppleCarPlay off, and probably for good. I am astonished at how craptacular ACP is on the Q7.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by saunderscc
Honestly, I've turned AppleCarPlay off, and probably for good. I am astonished at how craptacular ACP is on the Q7.
+1...I've had some seat time in a 2017 A4 loaner and I have to agree. CarPlay is utter garbage and I don't see Apple putting much effort into improving it. Android Auto looks much more promising, especially after all the stuff they announced at Google I/O. Waze support etc. Apple Maps is even worse over CarPlay than it already is on the phone and the whole thing doesn't do more than the MMI already does in combination with Bluetooth Audio for apps like Pandora and Spotify. The only thing you get with CarPlay is that you can see your playlists on the MMI and don't have to touch the phone, but that's about, but it's also buggy. Not sure if CarPlay in general is buggy or Audi's implementation, but in the few days I was driving the A4 loaner it already crapped out on me several times, so that's not really confidence inspiring. I stopped using it.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just picked up my Q7 on 5/20 and tried using CarPlay for the first time today. I turned it off 5 minutes later.

The only reason to use CarPlay is if you don't want to pay for Google Earth Nav and Traffic with Audi Connect after the 6 month intro period is over, by using your iPhone data instead

Pure garbage.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Do you have an option called "Audi Smartphone Interface"?

No, i don't.

this option whas not available at the time i ordered my car.
I just ticked every box possible that had something to do with enterainment or the MMI, assuming it whas standard fit on a car of this price...

For my it would be android auto i would be using and not the apple carplay.
I just hope Audi will do a retrofit option or something but in the past Audi's has never been very keen to change anything to their cars.
You buy em that way, they stay that way...
Old 05-27-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SYRO
No, i don't.

this option whas not available at the time i ordered my car.
I just ticked every box possible that had something to do with enterainment or the MMI, assuming it whas standard fit on a car of this price...

For my it would be android auto i would be using and not the apple carplay.
I just hope Audi will do a retrofit option or something but in the past Audi's has never been very keen to change anything to their cars.
You buy em that way, they stay that way...
Check out your window sticker or invoice for the vehicle. Did you get a credit for this missing feature. If not, I would demand that it be retrofitted. I have to believe the design of CarPlay and Android Auto is mostly about screen and digitizer mirroring. That most of the future updates will be on the smartphone side. Just hope it doesn't depend on Audi or else you have to buy another car to get an update!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Check out your window sticker or invoice for the vehicle. Did you get a credit for this missing feature. If not, I would demand that it be retrofitted. I have to believe the design of CarPlay and Android Auto is mostly about screen and digitizer mirroring. That most of the future updates will be on the smartphone side. Just hope it doesn't depend on Audi or else you have to buy another car to get an update!!!
When i bought this car the option was not available. I heard from someone that needed a complete replacement of his mmi System because of a malfunction and hè asked for the extra option and Audi said it was not possible...