Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

MMI Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1

unreal, how is that a safety enhancement? I would think having it retracted would be safer in a few aspects
The new regulation is supposed to ensure a minimal delay from when the vehicle is shifted into reverse to when the display becomes active. Turning the screen on with the rear view is a lot quicker than having to first raise the display and then switching on the rear view. Just another example of a new govt rule with a good intention in a particular aspect having an unintended consequence...
Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HGSB

The new regulation is supposed to ensure a minimal delay from when the vehicle is shifted into reverse to when the display becomes active. Turning the screen on with the rear view is a lot quicker than having to first raise the display and then switching on the rear view. Just another example of a new govt rule with a good intention in a particular aspect having an unintended consequence...
Hey, I am surprised they didn't stop vehicle from moving in Reverse until screen pops out and shows camera, instead they just decided to disable motorized screen. Could have been a lot worse, I am telling you. Remember our government or nhtsa knows what's best for us.

They could use VC to show the rear cam, in fact it would be a lot more visible, MMI screen is small (since we can't expand the picture by closing top view on the side). I loved BMW's wide screen view, Audi has all sorts of view options but it's small and when cams get hit by direct sunlight they get washed out easily, it would be amazing if they allowed people with VC to retract the screen and just show the camera on VC.

Last edited by hayde_bre; 11-17-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1
Have a 17 now with a 19 due in anytime, I will miss this feature and hope Audi will permit dealers to enable if asked by the customer.

Audi of America: having the ability to retract the screen provides a better view of the road etc...pls address. Thanks

with an output diagnosis test, using a scan tool, you are able to open and close the display with a click of a button. Someone just needs to link this to the power button. The screen closes with ignition off. This seems like such a simple coding issue. Driving me nuts!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rich8506

with an output diagnosis test, using a scan tool, you are able to open and close the display with a click of a button. Someone just needs to link this to the power button. The screen closes with ignition off. This seems like such a simple coding issue. Driving me nuts!
Makes sense...I truly hope you can figure this one out for us all
Old 11-19-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a bit curious if someone with the non-retractable display can tell me what happens when you change the media source while in reverse? My wife drove my car yesterday so after putting it in R i tapped the media button and completely lost the reverse camera. (I didn't care because I've backed out of my garage enough times without it) but I'm looking for some irony.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HGSB
If Audi made the change to no longer allow the MMI screen to retract in Q7’s built May 2018 or later in order to be in compliance with new US federal law requirements, you can be pretty sure that they locked the code down so it cannot be altered...
Yes, but what's the difference to use VIM? We were able to recode that to allow videos to play while driving.

There has to be a way. Even if you run wires directly from the switch to the screen mechanism. All it sees is a voltage signal from a module, telling it to close.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How about an incentive, to the first one providing a solution $500.00? I’ll kick it off with $50.00
Are you ready to pay that $500??

After messing with this all day. I think I cracked it.

Change the 5F coding, Byte 5, from 00000000 to 11111111

I own a 2018 Q7 and so far I have not come across any other issues, and my screen will close with the power button!! I am pretty proud of myself!!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I own a 2018 Q7 and so far I have not come across any other issues, and my screen will close with the power button!! I am pretty proud of myself!!

Scrap that. It stopped working. I was testing with my scan tool connected the whole time. Once I disconnected the scan tool, it stopped closing and would only turn off. So strange it will close with the scan tool connected and driving but will turn off with it removed.

anyway, epic fail. I will keep trying
Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's awesome, thanks!
I offered $50 to get the ball rolling if others wanted to participate...if your solution pans out I'd gladly send you the $50. Looking forward to seeing if this works as I don't have a coding device.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Scrap that. It stopped working. I was testing with my scan tool connected the whole time. Once I disconnected the scan tool, it stopped closing and would only turn off. So strange it will close with the scan tool connected and driving but will turn off with it removed.

anyway, epic fail. I will keep trying
Drat! Just saw your new post....pls keep trying

Quick Reply: MMI Display