Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My 2018 Q7 3.0 93 vs 87 octane test...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Why would you "never use 87"? Are you suggesting that it somehow is damaging to the engine? That's just silly-talk.... Premium fuel is used to create more horsepower, and the car's ECU (at the manufacturer's choice) is optimized for 91. That doesn't mean 87 is detrimental to use, it just means that you won't achieve the advertised horsepower. Ahhhh...but how much less?!? That's the mythical question most manufacturers will never tell you. (You'll not Ford is the only manufacturer putting in print the difference on some EcoBoost motors, which is rather enlightening when you see the differences) Is it 5 hp less (because you sure will never notice that in the real-world driving) or is it 25 hp less? Since ever engine is tuned differently the difference between power and fuel economy when using 87 versus 91 is always different. However, as this poster is alluding to, in Q7 tune it appears fuel economy is not a beneficial part of the 91 octane tuning, power is the name of the game. Every car is different on how it reacts to different octanes, but don't fall prey to thinking you must use 91 in order to maintain your engine properly, because that's just a wise-tale.
This is all very interesting as I am trying to decide myself if using 87 octane is okay. My wife drives a 2017 Mazda CX-9. It is clearly stated that using 87 octane is okay. It also stated that HP is 227 using regular and its 250 when you use 93 octane. I cannot notice the difference in performance when driving the vehicle. The wife puts 87 octane but when we go on long trips, I switch between 87 and 93 at fill-ups and highway mileage is the same with either octane at 22 mpg at a constant 77 mph.

My Q7 3.0 only has 675 miles on it. When I get about 1000 miles I will try 87 octane to see how mileage is. I also plan on towing with the Q7 but will use 93 octane when towing.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

One other thing I should add is using non-ethanol 89 octane fuel increases mileage by 3 - 4 mpg, which is significant. Non-ethanol is readily available here in SC coast because of the boaters.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
There was a four peak-HP drop on a GTI when dyno tested.
My son's 2017 GTI w/performance pack recommends 87 octane. Performance pack adds 20 HP (220 HP) but still recommends 87 octane. An inexpensive ECU tune will add 80 HP but drinks premium.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
One other thing I should add is using non-ethanol 89 octane fuel increases mileage by 3 - 4 mpg, which is significant. Non-ethanol is readily available here in SC coast because of the boaters.
How much cost difference?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My son's 2017 GTI w/performance pack recommends 87 octane. Performance pack adds 20 HP (220 HP) but still recommends 87 octane.
If you open the fuel cap, I think it will say Premium recommended, 87 minimum. Can you double check the exact wording?

Did they really call it "performance pack?" As far as I know, they eliminated that option and every 2017 GTI, except for the base model and R, have a 220 HP engine standard.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default educate yourself on the subject and you might not laugh after all

Originally Posted by ttngu234
I laugh when someone thinks that filling 87 will "damage the engine". Please.

Optimal performance with recommended octane rating, but 87 will run just fine for everyday use. It's a mental thing, just like how they sell that "in between" grade for those vehicles that require 87. Oh, let me go a step up to get slightly better quality.

This is why Costco only sells two grades of fuel.

I do not believe that just because invest a few more shiny pennies into a vehicle that you should not try to "save money". If you can save by pumping 87 at the tank, then good for you. I would do it, but my wife would not. There is no right or wrong answer. It's just a matter of preference.

Putting lower octane than recommended in your engine will result in premature ignition and knocking that will wear your engine faster.

Modern cars have a knock sensor and are able to decrease the compression ratio in order to prevent damage to the engine at the expense of power to some point however that does not mean that you should use it. If you want to use regular gas in order to save money should have gotten a natural aspirated engine with lower compression ratios.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Old 09-11-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zelosu
Putting lower octane than recommended in your engine will result in premature ignition and knocking that will wear your engine faster.
The damage is only true when you use octane lower than required. The Q7 is listed as 87 being required, and 91 is recommended.

The knock/ping sensors on cars are going off even at 91 octane, but at a higher engine load and higher intake manifold temps than when 87 is being used.

So for example, it may be with 91, the engine has to be at 85% load to have knock/ping, but with 87, it may happen at 70% load. Since it happens anyway with the recommend fuel, there is no damage.

https://community.cartalk.com/t/a-ne...-regular/88903

Last edited by rsilvers129; 09-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you open the fuel cap, I think it will say Premium recommended, 87 minimum. Can you double check the exact wording?

Did they really call it "performance pack?" As far as I know, they eliminated that option and every 2017 GTI, except for the base model and R, have a 220 HP engine standard.
They have a "Sport" version for 2017 that comes with the 220 HP engine, "R" brakes, different suspension settings, limited slip diff, different wheels, a few other items; HID headlghts, keyless entry & start, LED interior accent lights and a few other items that are upgrades from the base GTI. It also has the adjustable settings for the transmission in the infotainment screen. I was not aware of this model. My son was the one who discovered it as he was pining for a GTI to replace his base Golf and I got it for him for his 18th birthday. I looked at the fuel door and it says 87 octane minimum. No mention of premium recommended.

Last edited by jrtouareg; 09-12-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

How much cost difference?
Non ethanol mid-grade price is between mid-grade and premium or about 20 cents more. It fluctuates somewhat.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Non ethanol mid-grade price is between mid-grade and premium or about 20 cents more. It fluctuates somewhat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoli...lon_equivalent

For a car that gets 20.00 mpg with 10% Ethanol gasoline, it would get 20.38 mpg with pure gasoline. So pure gasoline is a break even value around 5 cents per gallon more.

Quick Reply: My 2018 Q7 3.0 93 vs 87 octane test...