Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My 2018 Q7 3.0 93 vs 87 octane test...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Thanks. The base model GTI comes with 210 HP. The Sport, SE, and Autobahn all come with 220 HP. and R brakes.

That is interesting as the car does make use of Premium if you use it. Their website says that the HP numbers are with premium. But they chose not to recommend it.

It looks like they took an opposite approach to Audi and figured lower-cost fuel is more of a selling point for VW owners, and so didn't recommend Premium even though it will take advantage of it for more power at times as the Audi will. So the Audi, which also has an 87 minimum rating, recommends the fuel that the car is optimized for, and VW recommends a less optimal fuel, figuring the difference is too small for people to care about. Either car runs with either, and either car sometimes makes more power with Premium.

Ford took the same approach as VW, and for the Fiesta ST, cites the HP for Premium, but the fuel cap says 87 minimum. I spoke to a Fiesta ST owner yesterday who was really into it, and added a cold air induction system, stabilizer bars, and other things to his car - and he said he could not notice any difference between 87 or 93, so uses 87.

I will do another tank of 93 after this 87, to gather data using my OBD2 scanner, before I make my final decision.
Another interesting item when I was looking to replace my diesel Touareg, I looked at the VR6 option and noticed that it no longer requires premium gas and it kept the same HP ratings from the 2011 model when it required premium. The new Atlas also uses regular. The Cayenne with the same engine rated with 24 more HP requires premium. It seems all VW's now recommends 87 octane while Audis and Porches requires premium to take advantage of the extra HP.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, and I would go so far as to say that their knock sensor technology is the same. So there is no engine damage with using 87 as some people have been saying.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 09-12-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

The damage is only true when you use octane lower than required. The Q7 is listed as 87 being required, and 91 is recommended.
Actually I believe that more accurate description would be: Q7 needs MIN 91, but it will also run on 87.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Actually I believe that more accurate description would be: Q7 needs MIN 91, but it will also run on 87.
With octane descriptions, the key words are "recommended" or "required."

Here is a screen capture from the owner's manual. It "recommends" Premium, which is defined as a minimum rating of 91, and it says that it also works with Regular, which is defined as a minimum octane of 87. It then states that the consequences of using Regular is that it will "slightly reduce engine performance."

That is why I am claiming that 87 is required, and 91 is recommended. And I also believe that if VW branding was on the car, they would have worded it as 87 recommended and then stated that the HP numbers are for Premium.

So it comes down to how much HP is lost. On a GTI, it was 4HP peak. To help quantify that for the Q7, I am data-logging full-throttle accelerations and capturing accelerometer data.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 09-12-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

With octane descriptions, the key words are "recommended" or "required."

Here is a screen capture from the owner's manual. It recommends Premium, which is defined as a minimum rating of 91, and it says that it also works with Regular, which is defined as a minimum octane of 87. It then states that the consequences of using Regular is that it will "slightly reduce engine performance."

There we go. I'll keep my engine performing like it was designed to.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look, I'm aware of what the manual states. I also looked on the fuel door as well. It says MIN 91. Manuals are not always right, neither are the stickers on the car. It's your car, you can do what you want. I'll go with what the sticker on the fuel door RECOMMENDS.

BTW, I just paraphrased and shortened what the manual said .....
"Q7 needs MIN 91, but it will also run on 87"

Last edited by gsobol; 09-12-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Look, I'm aware of what the manual states. I also looked on the fuel door as well. It says MIN 91. Manuals are not always right, neither are the stickers on the car. It's your car, you can do what you want. I'll go with what the sticker on the fuel door RECOMMENDS.
I'm not sure why this gets debated to death everywhere. If one wants to save a few $ go for it, but why set out to prove that the ones following the manual are idiots (or rule followers)...LOL!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's a Coke and Pepsi thing all over again. Can you tell the difference? Only with proper instrumentation ......
Old 09-12-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's a Coke and Pepsi thing all over again. Can you tell the difference? Only with proper instrumentation ......
Ha! If Coke was 60 cents more per gallon, I would be buying Coke. If Pepsi were free, I would be buying Coke. I was at a sushi place yesterday, and they had Pepsi not Coke, and it made me think they cheapened out on everything.

That being said, I only drink water, and never bottled.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ha! If Coke was 60 cents more per gallon, I would be buying Coke. If Pepsi were free, I would be buying Coke. I was at a sushi place yesterday, and they had Pepsi not Coke, and it made me think they cheapened out on everything.

That being said, I only drink water, and never bottled.
There you go.

Quick Reply: My 2018 Q7 3.0 93 vs 87 octane test...