Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My best MPG so far...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My best MPG so far...

I drove from Boston area to Brooklyn NY. By my arrival, the car indicated 28.9 MPG for the trip using 87 octane fuel. My return trip was 24.7 indicated.

I used ACC and I think the reason why I did so well going there was that I locked on to the back of large trucks and set the minimal distance, so I could draft them. On the way back, it was the middle of the night, and not many trucks to lock on to. When I did it, since there were no other cars, I could sense they were getting very annoyed I was closely following them on an otherwise empty road.

Comments on trip:

1. I managed to not get hit, or hit anything, and got indoor parking.

2. My total "long term" MPG for this trip was 26.0, as indicated by the car. A minute before I pulled into the gas station, it went to 25.9, so I know it was really at the threshold of 26.0. Fuelly reported 23.7. Is there a way for me or my dealer to adjust the car's indicator to match the actual MPG? Why is the Audi off by 9%?

3. It is great I could do this entire round trip on a single tank of fuel. Try that in a Tesla.

4. I would be using the ACC at 10-over the speed limit, going 75 in a 65, and then I would enter into Connecticut, and for some reason their highway speed limits are unusually low. My car would moderately hard brake to go from 75 to 50. It was no doubt alarming to the people following me. Audi should have let it coast down, and there should be a way to set the car to go to go up to 10 over. And actually, 9 over would be better, as sometimes tickets happen at 10 or more over, and I have seen the car drift to 11 over.

5. It was raining, and I got a "check surroundings" when backing up, and then an automatic brake. I guess rain on the sensor made the car stop.

6. The features and comfort of the car made the long trip much better than previous cars I have had.

7. I would like a closer ACC follow than the closest one. Can that be changed with VAG-COM? Not that it would be safe in the snow, but on a perfect day following a trusted person, it would be better drafting.

8. When ACC is following someone, and they turn off to the right, the car brakes unusually past the point where it is safe to just drive past them. It is so abnormal that it confuses drivers of other cars at the intersection into thinking you are stopping to let them in. Audi should refine that.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I drove from Boston area to Brooklyn NY. By my arrival, the car indicated 28.9 MPG for the trip using 87 octane fuel. My return trip was 24.7 indicated.

I used ACC and I think the reason why I did so well going there was that I locked on to the back of large trucks and set the minimal distance, so I could draft them. On the way back, it was the middle of the night, and not many trucks to lock on to. When I did it, since there were no other cars, I could sense they were getting very annoyed I was closely following them on an otherwise empty road.

Comments on trip:

2. My total "long term" MPG for this trip was 26.0, as indicated by the car. A minute before I pulled into the gas station, it went to 25.9, so I know it was really at the threshold of 26.0. Fuelly reported 23.7. Is there a way for me or my dealer to adjust the car's indicator to match the actual MPG? Why is the Audi off by 9%?

3. It is great I could do this entire round trip on a single tank of fuel. Try that in a Tesla.

4. I would be using the ACC at 10-over the speed limit, going 75 in a 65, and then I would enter into Connecticut, and for some reason their highway speed limits are unusually low. My car would moderately hard brake to go from 75 to 50. It was no doubt alarming to the people following me. Audi should have let it coast down, and there should be a way to set the car to go to go up to 10 over. And actually, 9 over would be better, as sometimes tickets happen at 10 or more over, and I have seen the car drift to 11 over.

5. It was raining, and I got a "check surroundings" when backing up, and then an automatic brake. I guess rain on the sensor made the car stop.

6. The features and comfort of the car made the long trip much better than previous cars I have had.

7. I would like a closer ACC follow than the closest one. Can that be changed with VAG-COM? Not that it would be safe in the snow, but on a perfect day following a trusted person, it would be better drafting.

8. When ACC is following someone, and they turn off to the right, the car brakes unusually past the point where it is safe to just drive past them. It is so abnormal that it confuses drivers of other cars at the intersection into thinking you are stopping to let them in. Audi should refine that.

I too got close to 26 mpg going from DC to Long Island this summer, but I hardly used ACC and I certainly didnt drive 10 mph over the speed limit. I had a lot of stop and go areas, and then lost of high speed 90+ mpg. I was impressed with my gas mileage, but if you used ACC primarily I would expect you'd get more.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've observed MPG as high as 26.7 MPG on my trip from SE Minnesota to North Shore of Lake Superior. 240 miles were @80 MPH and 120 miles were at 60-65 MPH. I've noticed that @80 MPH I am getting better MPG than @60-65 MPH. I've done comparison of MPG numbers by car and by tank calculations on this (and other trips; I've managed to put 5000+ miles on odometer in first two month of vehicle ownership). The difference was always ~ 0.2 MPG, which is very similar with other VAG cars I drove.

Sure thing - the MPG depends on so many factors, - driving style is being not the least important, - that it does make sense only to compare one's own numbers from different trips.

As a side note. I was most impressed with Q7 towing MPG numbers. My boat is approximately 2200 lb -2400 lb and trailer (my guess) ~600 lb -650 lb. In perfect driving conditions (65F-75F air temps, little wind, not much traffic) scored 15.5 MPG.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The answer to the first question is yes I believe you can scale it with a certain program, i don't know what its called friend is going to try and hook it up at some point I need to go check my fuelly data and get a bead on how much its off.
Answer to the 2nd question is bad engineering.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've extensively tracked a prior cars MPG reported be real along with other factors. There was no constant amount it was off by so adjusting it will be hard. Some gas will flash off due to heat anyway which is hard to account for. You're better off knowing the car will always read higher than having it be even more off if adjusted.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comments on trip:

I'm curious why you're using 87 Octane?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

$12 less per fillup and haven’t been able to measure a difference yet. Maybe in the summer there is a difference. Still working on my engine timing test results.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I consistently hit 30+ MPG depending on the conditions. Snap shot from one such trip. I never use 87 Octane, Only 91 and above.
Attached Thumbnails My best MPG so far...-20170507_180013.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ven7782
I consistently hit 30+ MPG depending on the conditions. Snap shot from one such trip. I never use 87 Octane, Only 91 and above.
By the car's indicator? Or by measuring the tanks and miles?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

By the car's indicator? Or by measuring the tanks and miles?
Car's indication.

Quick Reply: My best MPG so far...