Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My best MPG so far...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Well I know the answer now after all this research. AAA tested brands. Turns out that TOP-TIER has 5x the EPA-mandated detergents, and that makes a significant difference. And it also turns out that, while it is possible for a maker to add those detergents without paying for the TOP-TIER license, none of them do! So get TOP-TIER gasoline. All of the major brands are TOP-TIER, as far as I know. And all TOP-TIER companies have agreed to use the same level of detergents in their 87 as in their premium.

However, with a Q7 at least, 87 vs 91 is just personal preference on if you want to pay extra for the octane, which the car sometimes, but not always, needs to make the maximum rated HP. The hotter and drier it is out, and the more often you load the engine close to 100% (especially towing), the more often the car benefits from the extra octane. I am trying to measure the difference with my iPhone accelerometers. I have not finished my testing yet, but I would bet a lot that no one reading this could detect which gas is in the car from driving it.

AAA: Not All Gasoline Created Equal AAA NewsRoom
I dont have nearly enough time to analyze the trade-offs...I'll just go with what the people who built these cars say. LOL!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Analyzing/testing things is what I do for a hobby. It's not actually about money as one trip to the grocery store is about the same price of one year's difference in fuel cost. But it is about optimizing / testing things that I find interesting. Basically, I would like to be the the people who designs these cars and the one coming up with the recommendations, based on actual testing.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Analyzing/testing things is what I do for a hobby. It's not actually about money as one trip to the grocery store is about the same price of one year's difference in fuel cost. But it is about optimizing / testing things that I find interesting. Basically, I would like to be the the people who designs these cars and the one coming up with the recommendations, based on actual testing.
So you're suggesting that Audi did not make recommendations based on their own tests? They just put it out there? What's the benefit to Audi, MB, BMW, Porsche for doing that?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So you're suggesting that Audi did not make recommendations based on their own tests? They just put it out there? What's the benefit to Audi, MB, BMW, Porsche for doing that?
No I was not suggesting there was anything wrong with Audi's advice, or that I would have written it any differently if I had access to their data. I was simply replying to you not having time to do tests, and saying that I enjoy it and do it for fun.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 09-27-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did 2,100 miles in my Q7 Prestige and got 25.5 mpg for the whole trip. We did Dallas to Taos NM, to Vail Colorado, and back to Dallas. When we left Taos headed north, we were downhill for the first 15 miles, and got over 35 mpg before we headed uphill. I tend to get better mileage in high altitudes than closer to sea level.
There was plenty of this trip that was stop /. start around town stuff too.

I was very pleased with this mileage, as my last 2 Durango Citadel's got me closer to 21 mpg in the same roads.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by digman52
I just did 2,100 miles in my Q7 Prestige and got 25.5 mpg for the whole trip. ... I was very pleased with this mileage, as my last 2 Durango Citadel's got me closer to 21 mpg in the same roads.
Except the Audi lies, so you really probably got 23.2 mpg.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

2. My total "long term" MPG for this trip was 26.0, as indicated by the car. A minute before I pulled into the gas station, it went to 25.9, so I know it was really at the threshold of 26.0. Fuelly reported 23.7. Is there a way for me or my dealer to adjust the car's indicator to match the actual MPG? Why is the Audi off by 9%?
So I finally put all my fuel logs into a spreadsheet (25 fill ups) and found each tank was off between 6.5% and 13%, with a 9% average.

Friend hooked up VCDS and we changed a setting from 100 to 109 so I should get a better estimate now it should also give a better range estimate as well. I'll try and post back in a week or two to validate if it works. (need to burn through my current tank and a full one).

I can post instructions on how to do this if you're interested (of course you need access to VCDS first).
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds to me like there is a law that says they just be within 10%, so they set it to 9 on purpose.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would OBDeleven be able to do this?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
So I finally put all my fuel logs into a spreadsheet (25 fill ups) and found each tank was off between 6.5% and 13%, with a 9% average.

Friend hooked up VCDS and we changed a setting from 100 to 109 so I should get a better estimate now it should also give a better range estimate as well. I'll try and post back in a week or two to validate if it works. (need to burn through my current tank and a full one).

I can post instructions on how to do this if you're interested (of course you need access to VCDS first).
Please post the instructions. From there I think we will know if OBDEleven can do this.

Quick Reply: My best MPG so far...