Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My New 2017 Q7 experience

 
Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 AM
  #11  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 314
Default

Originally Posted by jvzanetti View Post
Thanks. Looks factory installed option but build order already in transit...sorry to miss that, should have that on the next car
It is factory installed. Did you order the wiring for Rear Entertainment? If so, you can purchase the other part separately.

I would also tell you to look around. You may find a car that matches your build at your dealer or a local dealer. If so, maybe your dealer will trade for the car or let you cancel and purchase elsewhere.

Honestly, for resale the entertainment system wiring ($150) is probably well worth it since I am sure they will upgrade the tablets you can plug in.
baltfan is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 11:08 AM
  #12  
AudiWorld Member
 
mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 95
Default

Hi Baltfan - Thanks for the very detailed summary of the features of the car; I've got one on order myself and am considering trying to accelerate my purchase if my dealer has a car that would meet my needs and address my ordering shortcomings.

Quick question on the tablets...do you know if they connect to the car functions if they are disconnected (i.e., do they work wirelessly) or do they need to be plugged in.

My question is whether one could order the tablets without the prewiring - would they still work in the car without the holder and the power supply?

The next question - and probably more rhetorical at this point until there are more cars out there - is whether a non-Audi provided android tablet would provide similar functionality - either via an App or some other way? I'm guessing probably not, but who really knows.
mike99 is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 11:14 AM
  #13  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by baltfan View Post
It is factory installed. Did you order the wiring for Rear Entertainment? If so, you can purchase the other part separately.

I would also tell you to look around. You may find a car that matches your build at your dealer or a local dealer. If so, maybe your dealer will trade for the car or let you cancel and purchase elsewhere.

Honestly, for resale the entertainment system wiring ($150) is probably well worth it since I am sure they will upgrade the tablets you can plug in.
Didn't order the wiring for rear entertainment either. My SA didn't know the new Q7 well so didn't give any advise...Probably would get universal iPad holder...
jvzanetti is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 11:59 AM
  #14  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 314
Default

Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
Hi Baltfan - Thanks for the very detailed summary of the features of the car; I've got one on order myself and am considering trying to accelerate my purchase if my dealer has a car that would meet my needs and address my ordering shortcomings.

Quick question on the tablets...do you know if they connect to the car functions if they are disconnected (i.e., do they work wirelessly) or do they need to be plugged in.

My question is whether one could order the tablets without the prewiring - would they still work in the car without the holder and the power supply?

The next question - and probably more rhetorical at this point until there are more cars out there - is whether a non-Audi provided android tablet would provide similar functionality - either via an App or some other way? I'm guessing probably not, but who really knows.
Tablets work wirelessly. Kids can use on their laps in the car. Do not have to be plugged in.

I think you need the prewiring for it to work. The tablets have no way to charge otherwise. Otherwise, you might as well buy an iPad or Android tablet and connect to the wifi. Advantage here is that it is built for the car and draws power from back of the seat.

To be clear, paying $1850 for the rear entertainment system may not make sense if your kids just use iPads. However, paying $150 for the wiring makes a ton of sense because it widens the people that will pay for the car. No one is going to look at the seats without the tablets plugged in and say that is a dealbreaker. There will be people that will think it is a dealbreaker if there is no prewiring.
baltfan is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM
  #15  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 314
Default

Originally Posted by jvzanetti View Post
Didn't order the wiring for rear entertainment either. My SA didn't know the new Q7 well so didn't give any advise...Probably would get universal iPad holder...
And that will be fine. it isn't the end of the world by any stretch. I am not pumping the rear entertainment system so much. Honestly, it comes with no information and the kids are just trying to figure it all out. More saying that $150 for prewiring makes sense given the low cost.
baltfan is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:24 PM
  #16  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 36
Default

If using iPad only, is the pre-wiring helps? Charging battery? If the rear entertainment preparation not compatible to the iPad and only have impact on resale, I am ok without that. Appreciate for your input
jvzanetti is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:24 PM
  #17  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Default

Baltfan:

Loads of great information which is greatly appreciated. As I indicated on zekeman's thread, I am somewhat concerned about the run flat tires and lack of spare tire. Zekeman got the B&O system with its large subwoofer which pretty much filled up the well under the cargo area floor. If I purchase the new Q7 (still waiting for my dealer to get demos), like you I would stick with the Bose system. My 2013 Q5 comes with a Bose circular subwoofer that fits inside a spare tire wheel. What about your new Q7? Does your Q7 come with a large (unidentified) electronic box on the left side of the well like Zekeman's (see the picture he posted on his thread)?

Also appreciated your advise that the standard seats are very comfortable.

Enjoy the beautiful new car!

Paul
paul07834 is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 01:05 PM
  #18  
AudiWorld Member
 
mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 95
Default

Thank you!
mike99 is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 04:00 PM
  #19  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 314
Default

Originally Posted by paul07834 View Post
Baltfan:

Loads of great information which is greatly appreciated. As I indicated on zekeman's thread, I am somewhat concerned about the run flat tires and lack of spare tire. Zekeman got the B&O system with its large subwoofer which pretty much filled up the well under the cargo area floor. If I purchase the new Q7 (still waiting for my dealer to get demos), like you I would stick with the Bose system. My 2013 Q5 comes with a Bose circular subwoofer that fits inside a spare tire wheel. What about your new Q7? Does your Q7 come with a large (unidentified) electronic box on the left side of the well like Zekeman's (see the picture he posted on his thread)?

Also appreciated your advise that the standard seats are very comfortable.

Enjoy the beautiful new car!

Paul
I will check the back. I am not concerned about the run flats. I had them on my BMW and got rid of them. Drove without a spare and counted on tow truck if needed. Never had a problem and tires much cheaper. These are much better run flats than my BMW's were in 2009. I think the odds of an issue are slim. I am more concerned that they will wear quickly.


Standard seats are comfortable. I am used to BMW sportseats. These are comparable except for the side bolsters aren't quite so large. You still are kept in the seat when cornering.

Subwoofer takes up all space under the well.
baltfan is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 04:50 PM
  #20  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 314
Default

Here are some pics. Exterior looks better in person.











baltfan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My New 2017 Q7 experience


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: