Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is the MY2020 worth waiting for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is the MY2020 worth waiting for?

I am currently starting to shop for a 3 row SUV and the Q7 is the top contender currently.

I have a Q5 which I am very happy with.

I reached out to the dealer I purchased my current audi from, they offered 10% off anything in stock in my first contact with them.

So the question is: is it worth waiting and paying more for the new refresh with MMI touch response(new styling, new options) or get a current gen.

With the discounts I could get a 2019 prestige or a 2020 P+ most likely.

Plan is to keep the Q7 for 100k miles at least.

I know that around May, the order sheets and information for My 2020 will be out.

Current plan was to wait until the order sheets are out to start making final decisions.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Waiting will not hurt, especially since I don't think Q7's are flying off the lots, so there will be plenty in stock when 2020's start arriving, you can test drive when they show up and decide for yourself.
There isn't a huge upgrade so I don't expect any 1st year issues in 2020 model, unless I am mistaken on what's changing. Some lights here and there, new GPS/touchscreen, that's about it.
If I was planning to keep the car for 8-10 years (that's how long it would take me to get to 100k), and there is an update around the corner, I wouldn't jump at 10% discount, it's nothing special at this point.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

If 2020 models launch like 2019 did, then 2020 Q7 are likely 10-11 months out before delivery. Are you willing to wait almost an entire year to make a purchase? That seems to be your biggest decision. I would not be surprised if the supercharged engine disappears for 2020.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

The dual touch screen interior update alone is worth the wait. I’ve never been a fan of the current dash.

Last edited by Audirings4; 02-11-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you want to keep it that long, then you def want the newest model out, in this case the 1st year of the facelift. It will be 3 years until a redesign so you are getting your money's worth. The 2020 will get a bit more powerful 3.0 turbo (not supercharged) so idk if that's something you like or not. Me personally i love the current supercharged engine but did not drive the 3.0Turbo to compare. Not a fan of turbo lag though but i hear once it boosts, she takes off.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to keep it for 100k which I assume is about ~8 years, I would go with the current model given most controls are not screen based (ie less likely to break).

FWIW I made a similar decision 2 months ago and decided with 2019 model instead. In my case my plan is to keep the car for 4 years. I assumed 2020 models will be similar to 2019 Q8s in tech, ie get the new touch screen, additional sensors including LIDAR, likely the matrix lights and the 48v hybrid engine to help with auto start/stop but it looks like Audi is a few years out from having autonomous driving similar to Teslas. So my thinking was that I would get the 2019 model now since I wasn't a big fan of new MMI screen anyway and then in 4 years get whatever the current model in the hopes that it has actual autonomuos driving and maybe even plug-in hybrid models (the ones that provide ~40-50mile electric range for daily driving and then uses gas engine for anything longer)

The other option was to get a plugin hybrid XC 90 but I really didn't like XC 90s both the interior design and driving.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are long-term owner, then yes absolutely wait for the refreshed look. Otherwise your new vehicle is dated within a few months.

The engine is changing too, and I prefer the current supercharged engines over turbos, but I'm sure Audi will do a good job with the new engine.

Go for the 2020. Should likely be out by year end
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I see it differently - if you are keeping for 8-10 years, I am not sure how much the 2019 vs 2020 refreshed model is going to matter when it comes to resale, since it will all be outdated by then anyway. I see that being a bigger issue if you are selling in 3-4 years.
Check out the interior and interface in the Q8. Supposedly the Q7 refresh will be similar to that. That will give you a good feel for whether you prefer the current setup or would rather have the new setup.
I agree that I love the current supercharged engine and was glad to no longer have the turbo lag from my previous Volvo V70R turbo engine. However, I believe the Q8 as the new turbo engine that is also supposed to go into the Q7. So a nice test drive of the Q8 may give you better insight into what you think of that engine.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

There will still be a price difference 8-20 yrs down the road. The tech of a 2020 will be 4-5 yrs newer then a Q7 one yr older.

I for one don't see the benefit of most autonomous features. Does no one want to drive their own vehicle anymore?
As a car guy and not just a car enthusiast thoughts of fully autonomous vehicles driving everyone around make me want to cry.

Last edited by Audirings4; 02-11-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would check out the current Q8 vs the Q7 see if you like the interior more of the Q8 since I think it will be similar to that, if that's true then you'll have to wait a while (6 months to a year). Not sure what else might be changing that might interest you (it more/better autonomous features), engine or other options (dynamic turn signals, matrix headlights - have no clue about this sort of stuff, just stating things like this could change)

Personally I like the current interior more, as I'm not into touch screens and i prefer keeping my eye level higher.

Quick Reply: Is the MY2020 worth waiting for?