Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the 2018 version instead.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
I'm just not a fan, either, but it's all in the eye of the beholder. I really like my B/O 21s (powder-coated black), but I have also hated them -- the crappy availability for all-season tires is the major sticking point. I'd say to others -- roll with 22s for more tire options. If not (as mentioned in prior posts), I'm happy with my off-spec 295/40ZR21s.
Your black Audi in the pic is on which size 22 or 21? I think it looks absolutely perfect and proportionate. Please let me know the size. I have the same car and I think youve hit the nail on the head with the wheel and tire size. Any more would look like trying too hard. Unfortunately mine is a white colour. 3.0 v6 supercharged. Uprated to 405 bhp.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kai Dinshaw
Your black Audi in the pic is on which size 22 or 21? I think it looks absolutely perfect and proportionate. Please let me know the size. I have the same car and I think youve hit the nail on the head with the wheel and tire size. Any more would look like trying too hard. Unfortunately mine is a white colour. 3.0 v6 supercharged. Uprated to 405 bhp.
They are 21s, and in the photo -- 295/40ZR-21 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 XLs, and while I liked the 295s looking a smidge beefier...these tires were a nightmare. Might have just been my bad luck, but they seemed like they were sponges for flats -- had 4, 5, 6 nails/screws in my tires over 5 years. Incredibly frustrating. And while a lot of miles driving locally, the tires were pretty much as bald as they could be by 25K. Yes, it's a heavy vehicle. Yes, it's AWD. But I really expected more from Continental and these tires (I'm not the only one to experience and express this).

With 405bhp, your vehicle is also going to be more likely to chew up its rubber -- and I think the white is going to look great!

With that I'm now giving these all-season tires a shot (back to 285s, since there are *finally* some more 21s out in the world after a few years): 285/40R-21 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL

Most definitely cheaper, and I've been on them since September -- they ride great and have done fantastically well in the tons of rain and bits of snow we've had in the DC area. Fingers crossed they perform as well but last much longer/better than the Continental's. Reviews on the Vredestein's were excellent, so I was confident in pulling the trigger on them.

Good luck!

Last edited by allsyst3msgo; 02-14-2024 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Added a missing detail
Old 02-14-2024, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
They are 21s, and in the photo -- 295/40ZR-21 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 XLs, and while I liked the 295s looking a smidge beefier...these tires were a nightmare. Might have just been my bad luck, but they seemed like they were sponges for flats -- had 4, 5, 6 nails/screws in my tires over 5 years. Incredibly frustrating. And while a lot of miles driving locally, the tires were pretty much as bald as they could be by 25K. Yes, it's a heavy vehicle. Yes, it's AWD. But I really expected more from Continental and these tires (I'm not the only one to experience and express this).

With 405bhp, your vehicle is also going to be more likely to chew up its rubber -- and I think the white is going to look great!

With that I'm now giving these all-season tires a shot (back to 285s, since there are *finally* some more 21s out in the world after a few years): 285/40R-21 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL

Most definitely cheaper, and I've been on them since September -- they ride great and have done fantastically well in the tons of rain and bits of snow we've had in the DC area. Fingers crossed they perform as well but last much longer/better than the Continental's. Reviews on the Vredestein's were excellent, so I was confident in pulling the trigger on them.

Good luck!
Is the ride on Vredestein comfortable regarding noise level and softness?
Old 02-14-2024, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

amlody -- I have ZERO regrets, thus far. 50 miles commuting (when I'm not motorycycling) each day, and lately it's been in real variable weather. Great ride, solid control in varying conditions (including snow/sleet/slush yesterday), and excellent cornering at speed; been quiet to my satisfaction...honestly, nothing negative to note.

Of course, YMMV....but 5 months in -- I am pleased.

Anyone else sees this post and uses the Vredestein Quatrac Pro XL tires as well -- please share. I got mine from Tire Rack, and again, notably affordable and Tire Rack does a great job with next day/near-next-day shipping.