Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New Android Auto coming this summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Android Auto coming this summer

In case you have not seen it.

I hope there is no compatibility issues. Otherwise, it looks good.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I've used this in my Audi (controller based), and it's mostly good, but not perfect:
-- It's great starting in maps, and not having what's known as "Overview" or "Home"
-- the hands-down best feature is being able to more easily control music without changing the focus from maps (of course with our Audis, there's already good support for this from the steering wheel and middle console dials); I imagine this will be even more pleasant with MMI touch systems
-- auto-playing music is also nice (unless your toddler is in the car and gets annoyed that "daddy music" starts playing)
-- the overall dark theme matches more of the instrument displays

Not so good:
-- It's more challenging and cognitively distracting to change music apps, as stuff is all mixed-in an app drawer that's sorted in alpha order; the fact that more items are in the drawer now (assistant actions) compounds this problem; the first line of apps lets you get back to the last-used music app so it's not that bad if you're just switching between 2 apps
Old 05-10-2019, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am really glad to learn this is compatible with the non-touch based MMI. I didn't trust Google to not break it on non touch screen.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
I've used this in my Audi (controller based), and it's mostly good, but not perfect:
-- It's more challenging and cognitively distracting to change music apps, as stuff is all mixed-in an app drawer that's sorted in alpha order; the fact that more items are in the drawer now (assistant actions) compounds this problem; the first line of apps lets you get back to the last-used music app so it's not that bad if you're just switching between 2 apps
I do agree on that, more voice command ability with regard to that would help. OTOH, it sure is nice to have an interface that is going to be kept up to date as opposed to the one that comes with a vehicle. That is the main thing that is better about phone based.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Samsung broke the dark mode, now I am looking at blinding bright map or music interface when I drive at night. Thank God my MMI screen can still retract, and not messed up by Audi.
Samsung confirmed this because of the Note series own dark mode messing with the google's dark mode, or something like that.
Otherwise, I would not miss MMI if I had only Google AA on my vehicle. Maps, music, etc all great, with one exception, google's over protective disabling of scrolling and non-standard menus within multi media apps. One multimedia app will give you artists, albums, etc, the other won't. It's a problem with Google not requiring app developers to have standard Android Auto interface. It's still buggy, sometimes it freezes or makes it very slow to switch between apps/screens, I have to disconnect and restart AA on my phone to clear out whatever is bogging the processor.

The interface in that video is not going to be fun to use with non-touch MMI. I love the current method of selecting apps, like music apps by hitting the headphone icon and then dropdown list shows you music apps available instead of scrolling senselessly up and down to find the app you want. I hope they retain some of those functions because Amazon Music to Spotify, you'll have to scroll through a lot of apps to change between them.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Samsung broke the dark mode, now I am looking at blinding bright map or music interface when I drive at night. Thank God my MMI screen can still retract, and not messed up by Audi.
Samsung confirmed this because of the Note series own dark mode messing with the google's dark mode, or something like that.
Otherwise, I would not miss MMI if I had only Google AA on my vehicle. Maps, music, etc all great, with one exception, google's over protective disabling of scrolling and non-standard menus within multi media apps. One multimedia app will give you artists, albums, etc, the other won't. It's a problem with Google not requiring app developers to have standard Android Auto interface. It's still buggy, sometimes it freezes or makes it very slow to switch between apps/screens, I have to disconnect and restart AA on my phone to clear out whatever is bogging the processor.

The interface in that video is not going to be fun to use with non-touch MMI. I love the current method of selecting apps, like music apps by hitting the headphone icon and then dropdown list shows you music apps available instead of scrolling senselessly up and down to find the app you want. I hope they retain some of those functions because Amazon Music to Spotify, you'll have to scroll through a lot of apps to change between them.
Main reason I would not buy a Sammy phone. Sammy has great hardware ruined by crap software. Pixel is better because it is stock Android and always will be.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone know if the new version can be used wirelessly without a USB connection?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rjabend
Does anyone know if the new version can be used wirelessly without a USB connection?
I would doubt it but that is a good question, especially since Audi was not smart enough to make the phone compartment big enough for many modern phones.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Astropup
I would doubt it but that is a good question, especially since Audi was not smart enough to make the phone compartment big enough for many modern phones.
If you don't think that was smart, wait till you see the size of the cup-holders in the rear center console
Old 05-13-2019, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astropup
My Q7 is in the shop for 1 1/2 weeks and I have a loaner A6. The console will handle my Note 8. Q7 does not. I had to buy a side pouch for my phone.

Quick Reply: New Android Auto coming this summer