Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New Car - Strange Smell in Garage once I park it

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Car - Strange Smell in Garage once I park it

So, I got my prestige Q7 this past Friday. Absolutely love it and how it drives. Did notice a strange smell when I first parked the car in the garage after getting it from the dealer. The inside of the car is absolutely fine when driving, dont notice anything. The smell is still there 3-4 days into ownership and after putting about 200 miles on it. Its not a smell I can compare to something i have smelt before, but it is not pleasant. Its not unbearable, but it is not pleasant.
Confirmed the fact that the smell exists with 3 people (on separate occasions) who I did not tell before taking them into the garage.
Just wanted to check with the community if such a smell is normal? The car is brand new, i.e. shipped from the port to a dealer and then dealer transferred to my dealer and had 15 miles on it when I bought it.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it smell like something burned off? That's what I get as well (I have ~1k miles). It's likely the exhaust burning off certain coating that protects new cars during transit, which appears to be typical during break-in. I will see if the smell goes away over time.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Must be German thing, I had a small on my last X5s and I still have it on my Q7 after a month.

It's more apparent on certain days maybe when it's warmer out, but it doesn't bother me much. I can't smell it outdoors, only in my garage.

​​​​​​One thing that bothers me though is the winter mats smell especially when I run the heater with air diverted to foot area. I can't wait for that to go away. I am thinking of washing them to see if that helps. I don't know it's the same smell or not but it's very similar. Does anyone with winter mats know what I am talking about?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed a definite smell too when I brought the car home and parked it in the garage. I have about 1,000 miles on the car and it is much less noticeable now. I figured it was something burning off from the newness of the car. Be patient...I think you will see it disappear over time.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fairly normal IMO. New materials are off gassing with the engine temps as well as any oil residue remaining on the components. Over time it will go away.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I have it since day 1. I inspected for leaks and such but nothing and not residue. My S4 had that burnt oil smell as well. So I chalked it up as normal
Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I did/have not noticed any such odor on our new Q7 and I normal can detect these kinds of things quite easily.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
FWIW, I did/have not noticed any such odor on our new Q7 and I normal can detect these kinds of things quite easily.
Same here
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Our car smelled pretty bad for a couple of weeks in the garage after we got it. Enough for my wife to say "why does my car smell so bad when I park it in the garage?" It did eventually go away though. I have experienced the "new car burn off" smell however it did seem to last a little longer on our Q.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Q7 has such a smell as well like something burning and I figured it’s related to the initial burn in of the car.

Quick Reply: New Car - Strange Smell in Garage once I park it