Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New-ish 2017 Q7 owner - long term ownership question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-ish 2017 Q7 owner - long term ownership question

Hello forum,

I am new to Audi World, I've been meaning to post here for a while now. This forum has been very helpful to me, so I just wanted to say hi and get some feedback from you all.

I picked up my 2017 Q7 last year - just crossed over the 10k mile mark. Pretty basic: 2017 Q7 premium package, graphite gray/black. 4% off MSRP (I live in a pretty expensive area, discounts are harder to come by from my experience)

Overall I am very happy with this car. I had a 2012 X5 previously, but we switched to the Q7 when we had our 3rd child, mainly because of the decently sized usable 3rd row. So far its working out good for us.
The drive performance is really good. Its a nice size, not too big - still fits in the garage. I picked the 19" wheel style because I just liked it better. I posted a pic in the new member thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/new.../#post25080708

I have leased this car, but I am really considering keeping it when the term is up. My only concern is the long term maintenance and reliability, Anyone see any major issues with these models going to 100k miles and beyond?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yomash
Anyone see any major issues with these models going to 100k miles and beyond?
I may be wrong, but just do not think there are enough data points (folks) in the US with that kind of mileage to report issues. Would be interesting to hear experience from users based in Europe who have had the model for sometime now.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine is a 2017 Q7 it was delivered to us in September of 2016. So far we have put 25,000+ miles on it. I don't believe we are going to keep it more then about 5yrs. Knock on wood, no mechanical issues so far but have had other gremlins happening. My first German and may be my last. When I ordered it I only ordered two things, Prestige package and a tow hitch. I believe it comes with plenty of tech to break out the door so we did not put any additional whistles on ours. I've replaced one set of tires already, so that seems to be an inherent thing with the all wheel drive.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by yomash
I have leased this car, but I am really considering keeping it when the term is up. My only concern is the long term maintenance and reliability, Anyone see any major issues with these models going to 100k miles and beyond?
Its hard to say man, each car is different. I've had good experience with German cars, where they are solid cars throughout ownership. And I tend to keep cars 8 years or so. My BMWs have been rock solid after warranty, the MB had lots of issues while under warranty but not many post warranty. If the Audi can emulate this, I'll be a happy camper.

Please note however, that these German cars are not cheap to maintain. Doing routine maintenace on these vehicles will set you back some, and some people confuse that for German cars being hard to fix. You take care of them, they'll take care of you. Of course there are always exceptions with issues.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Its hard to say man, each car is different. I've had good experience with German cars, where they are solid cars throughout ownership. And I tend to keep cars 8 years or so. My BMWs have been rock solid after warranty, the MB had lots of issues while under warranty but not many post warranty. If the Audi can emulate this, I'll be a happy camper.

Please note however, that these German cars are not cheap to maintain. Doing routine maintenace on these vehicles will set you back some, and some people confuse that for German cars being hard to fix. You take care of them, they'll take care of you. Of course there are always exceptions with issues.
I purchased 2017 Prestige with the 100k 7 year warranty and have just passed 33k on 2017 my Q7, mainly highway driving. The 3.0 liter engine and gear box are well proven components and I see no reason not to keep my car for the next 10 years. There was some teething issues with my panoramic roof and scarce information how to to install a tow brake controller. The Goodyear tires were replaced at 24k for $500 due to a chunking issue,( unusual wear and tear at edge of all 4 tires in June). There is a TSB to address this issue now. I purchased the upgraded leather seat package and the bladder in drivers seat had to be reinstalled. My wife spotted something was a miss with the lumbar support. I have a squeaky brake issue for a bit a 1 minute in the morning but minimal wear.

This is our 4th Audi Q7 Mk 2. We have a SQ7 in Europe (First SQ7 stolen that we upgraded from a TDI).

There is a maintenance tax to driving these cars and establishing a good relation with your dealer while you are in warranty will address nearly all the potential issues. I purchased my extended warranty to reduce risk after driving an A8 that I drove it from new for 11 years with an extended warranty ($20k in warranty claims mainly due to human error while maintaining it).
The newer Audi's appear to be rock solid compared the previous generation.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKutta

Up until 2010, I would agree 100% with you. My first 2 German cars, a 1985 VW cabrio, and a 1999 MB E320 were solid cars, and I felt that a properly maintained car could give me 10+ years of good ride.
All that changed after we bought a 2005 BMW X5. I joke (swear) that X5 knew to the day it went out of warranty, and I spent hours and far too much $ on repairs from 2010 until 2016, when we traded it (with 115,000 miles) as part of leasing a 2017 Q7 .
The Q7 drives great, but has been more trouble than I anticipated. Between recalls, the tires feathering/chunking, brake noise, and other minor repairs, I have no plans to buy this Q7 at the end of my lease.
Matter of fact, today I bring my leased 2016 A6 in to Audi dealer for an $80 oil change and talk to the lease guy about rolling into a new car. The A6 is 2.5 years old and only has 10,500 miles. Not long ago, it blew a cooling hose which was a mess (but 100% covered by warranty).
I also leased a 2014 A6, which Audi rolled at 21 months into the 2016 A6.

So my advice is not to buy at end of lease. I just feel the manufacturers (almost all of them) simply aren't building cars to last, like they used to. I used to have a mobile mechanic who worked on the MB and BMW at my house. He would pull worn/cracked parts and show me how flimsy they are made.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Interesting, thanks for the feedback all. Yes, I should have mentioned that I am aware of the maintenance and up keep costs on German vehicles, I have had a many. I guess time will tell on any major issues with these models. In the mean time, I'll enjoy my lease!