Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner questions

Got a Q7 (Prestige/BOP/Drivers Assistance/Cold Weather) a couple of weeks ago. Thanks everyone for helping me decide on the specs of the car. Now that I've spent some time with it, I have a few questions about the car.

1. New car comes with 6 months Connect PRIME and Connect PLUS. Does the Connect PLUS come with free data for 6 months or do I have to add this car to my AT&T plan to get online?
2. Does this car have wireless carplay? If so, how do I pair/connect?
3. When I plug in my iPhone for wired carplay, the map on the virtual cockpit goes away. Why does it do that? I can't listen to my iPhone and use Google Maps?
4. When in carplay mode, is there a way to view Waze in the virtual cockpit and heads up?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

1. New car comes with 6 months Connect PRIME and Connect PLUS. Does the Connect PLUS come with free data for 6 months or do I have to add this car to my AT&T plan to get online?
- You do get free data for 6 months. Unlimited I believe to 20GB, then slower after that. After that you need to subscribe to PRIME to get PLUS, but you can add PLUS to your AT&T plan

2. Does this car have wireless carplay? If so, how do I pair/connect?
- Nope, only BMW has it as far as I know.

3. When I plug in my iPhone for wired carplay, the map on the virtual cockpit goes away. Why does it do that? I can't listen to my iPhone and use Google Maps?
- Carplay will only work on the MMI screen. You can view what song is playing in the VC screen, but that's it. As of iOS 12, you can use google maps and Waze in carplay, google maps is really nice and spot on with ETA's and traffic, better than my experience with the built in traffic.
- The reason I believe the built in map goes away is you don't want two competing voice prompts. Before iOS 12, I used the built in nav once and opened Waze to check traffic. For a minute I had both voices coming in and telling me when to turn and stuff. That's my guess why built in is disabled once you use the a smartphone map.

4. When in carplay mode, is there a way to view Waze in the virtual cockpit and heads up?
- See answer above, When using any navigation from the phone, you'll only get a compass in the VC map screen. If it's any consolation, I rented a new ford fusion last week to drive around AZ for a vacation, and it had the latest SYNC in it, and it did the same thing, only a compass in the dashboard when using the iPhone for maps (apple, waze, or google, doesn't matter). Heads up will only work with the built in navigation.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ride. Just bought exact one. Love the White with BO package. I blacked out the badges. Now trying to decide if I should powder coat the wheels black. Such a great ride. Congrats!
Old 10-18-2018, 03:41 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats, white with the BO pkg looks great... Biener Audi?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lectoid
- You do get free data for 6 months. Unlimited I believe to 20GB, then slower after that. After that you need to subscribe to PRIME to get PLUS, but you can add PLUS to your AT&T plan
Re PRIME/PLUS... keep in mind that after the six month trial, if you only add PLUS to your AT&T plan, then that's ONLY for in-car wifi. You will not have any of the connected services (Google maps, traffic, weather, etc.). Personally, if I need in-car wifi, I just turn on my phone's tethering rather than pay $10+tax a month to add PLUS to my AT&T plan.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Re PRIME/PLUS... keep in mind that after the six month trial, if you only add PLUS to your AT&T plan, then that's ONLY for in-car wifi. You will not have any of the connected services (Google maps, traffic, weather, etc.). Personally, if I need in-car wifi, I just turn on my phone's tethering rather than pay $10+tax a month to add PLUS to my AT&T plan.
I was under the impression that you can't enable PLUS without enabling PRIME. I think there is a hack if you put your own SIM in, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lectoid
I was under the impression that you can't enable PLUS without enabling PRIME. I think there is a hack if you put your own SIM in, maybe I'm wrong.
I think that's true. But I thing you can add the car to your AT&T data plan without having PRIME.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Being able to use the wifi without paying for PRIME would be nice. Is this verified?

Tethering on phone for same $10/mo is a good option Rick mentioned although I would worry about slow down of phone and if the phone would overheat? Another option is buying one of those hotspot devices. Good for car use and vacation use and won't tie down the tethering phone.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JT4
Congrats, white with the BO pkg looks great... Biener Audi?
Yes, Biener. Worked with Pierre.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doughson
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Being able to use the wifi without paying for PRIME would be nice. Is this verified?

Tethering on phone for same $10/mo is a good option Rick mentioned although I would worry about slow down of phone and if the phone would overheat? Another option is buying one of those hotspot devices. Good for car use and vacation use and won't tie down the tethering phone.
I tether all the time and have not noticed any slowdown or overheating. You do need the phone connected to power if using it for a while because it does tend to drain he battery. Not sure what plan you're on, but tethering is included free in my current AT&T plan.

Quick Reply: New owner questions