Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New Q7 – now afraid to turn left

Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New Q7 – now afraid to turn left

I am loving my new '19 Q7 Prestige, except for one thing: I am afraid to turn left in the darn thing. I've had it less than a week and twice Audi Pre-sense has SLAMMED on the brakes as I started to make a left turn. I live in a development that frequently requires me to make a left turn across two lanes of oncoming traffic. The speed limit is 45 here, so oncoming cars can being going fast or slowly. You need to be safely aggressive in turning left or you will wait and wait and wait. In the meantime, traffic exiting my development will pile up waiting for left turn traffic to clear (traffic turning in has the right of way). IMO, Pre-sense is way too cautious. I have lived here 10 years and never had a close call when turning. Not even close. And this Q7 is plenty fast enough to get across traffic safely.

So now I am very gun shy about turning left, especially with our dogs in the car, since they get slammed against the front seats when Pre-sense kicks in.

I really hate this part of the driver assistance package.

From reading about this on AW, my understanding that the only work-around is to not have your turn signal on. That may be ok for me because there is a dedicated left turn lane where I live, but I can't see doing this everywhere. Can you disable Pre-sense altogether? I like the idea of having protection against turning left in front of that "unseen" oncoming car, but sheesh I think this "protection" is definitely a mixed blessing.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I make these sorts of "safely aggressive" turns all the time and the Q has never slammed. I know there is way to change the presense setting to early, medium, late, etc. Perhaps start there and see if it changes anything
Old 04-29-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui19

From reading about this on AW, my understanding that the only work-around is to not have your turn signal on. That may be ok for me because there is a dedicated left turn lane where I live, but I can't see doing this everywhere. Can you disable Pre-sense altogether? I like the idea of having protection against turning left in front of that "unseen" oncoming car, but sheesh I think this "protection" is definitely a mixed blessing.
I am driving P+, so it has no DA package and my comment might be off the mark... But, from my Prestige test driving experience and your description of the issue it looks like lane assist is playing a role here. Is it not so? I know for certain that at least this portion of the DA can be disabled.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
I am driving P+, so it has no DA package and my comment might be off the mark... But, from my Prestige test driving experience and your description of the issue it looks like lane assist is playing a role here. Is it not so? I know for certain that at least this portion of the DA can be disabled.
Interesting idea. Not sure how to test this--mebbe get the wife out in her car on a deserted road to try this (and the turn signal thing).
Old 04-29-2019, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am loving my new '19 Q7 Prestige, except for one thing: I am afraid to turn left in the darn thing. I've had it less than a week and twice Audi Pre-sense has SLAMMED on the brakes as I started to make a left turn. I live in a development that frequently requires me to make a left turn across two lanes of oncoming traffic. The speed limit is 45 here, so oncoming cars can being going fast or slowly. You need to be safely aggressive in turning left or you will wait and wait and wait. In the meantime, traffic exiting my development will pile up waiting for left turn traffic to clear (traffic turning in has the right of way). IMO, Pre-sense is way too cautious. I have lived here 10 years and never had a close call when turning. Not even close. And this Q7 is plenty fast enough to get across traffic safely.

So now I am very gun shy about turning left, especially with our dogs in the car, since they get slammed against the front seats when Pre-sense kicks in.

I really hate this part of the driver assistance package.

Same thing happens to me... latest was last week on a two-lane busy road. It's a bit nerve-racking when it happens. Will try to remember to turn off the turn signal once traffic has stopped behind me and see if that disables the pre-sense for a turn.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gregwgregw
Same thing happens to me... latest was last week on a two-lane busy road. It's a bit nerve-racking when it happens. Will try to remember to turn off the turn signal once traffic has stopped behind me and see if that disables the pre-sense for a turn.
It does. That's why I turn the blinker off when I have to make an aggressive left turn. In NY, it's simply too dangerous to have the pre-sense slam on the brakes like that, you are guaranteed to be rear ended, at the least you are going to be kindly greeted by some warm, thoughtful and colorful suggestion to go and do something wonderful to yourself ....

Old 04-30-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can turn off Pre-Sense
Old 04-30-2019, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

If turning left with on coming traffic why wouldn't you use the turn signal?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
If turning left with on coming traffic why wouldn't you use the turn signal?
Because sometimes the Q7 slams on the brakes, stops you in your tracks, and scares the poop out of everyone in the car, even though you could have crossed safely.

Why have a car with 330 horsepower and sport modes if you can't use it to your advantage to safely maneuver through traffic?
The following users liked this post:
1fussylong (12-19-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Because sometimes the Q7 slams on the brakes, stops you in your tracks, and scares the poop out of everyone in the car, even though you could have crossed safely.

Why have a car with 330 horsepower and sport modes if you can't use it to your advantage to safely maneuver through traffic?

^^^^This guy, he gets it.^^^^

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Q7 – now afraid to turn left