Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New S-Line Wheels Are Narrower...

Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The slimmer tires are most likely a result of tougher CAFE standards. The smaller cross section results in lower rolling resistance and a minimal increase in fuel mileage. Manufacturers are looking for even the slightest tenth of a gallon in fuel milage to support their overall CAFE numbers.

Checkout the cross section of BMW's I3 and I8. Shocking by previous standards.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The slimmer tires are most likely a result of tougher CAFE standards. The smaller cross section results in lower rolling resistance and a minimal increase in fuel mileage. Manufacturers are looking for even the slightest tenth of a gallon in fuel milage to support their overall CAFE numbers.

Checkout the cross section of BMW's I3 and I8. Shocking by previous standards.
The 295 the OP referred to were only on the sport package, and I very seldom see one equipped that way. 285's are still a wide tire.

I saw a new Q7 at my dealer yesterday. It has a very nice stance to it. The wheels are pushed out decently and the gap is less than the 2015s with similar wheel/ tire packages.

Last edited by jjsC6; 12-31-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
The 295 the OP referred to were only on the sport package, and I very seldom see one equipped that way. 285's are still a wide tire.

I saw a new Q7 at my dealer yesterday. It has a very nice stance to it. The wheels are pushed out decently and the gap is less than the 2015s with similar wheel/ tire packages.
I thought the only 2017 Q7s in the US now were the press test cars. We ordered a Q7 from the Sarasota Audi dealer and were told it would be the first 2017 they receive. It is to be built the last week of Jan or first week of Feb.

What dealer has a new Q7? Thanks,
Old 12-31-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ferrari27 View Post
I thought the only 20v17 Q7s in the US now were the press test cars. We ordered a Q7 from the Sarasota Audi dealer and were told it would be the first 2017 they receive. It is to be built the last week of Jan or first week of Feb.

What dealer has a new Q7? Thanks,
You are correct. It is not the dealers car and I was told they didn't even want test drives. My sales person said she would ask if I could drive it. But I'm not immediately interested so I told her not to waste a favor on me. It is a factory vehicle making the rounds in our area.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
You are correct. It is not the dealers car and I was told they didn't even want test drives. My sales person said she would ask if I could drive it. But I'm not immediately interested so I told her not to waste a favor on me. It is a factory vehicle making the rounds in our area.
Thanks, Jim. We are looking forward to the arrival of my wife's new and fully equipped (less the B & W) Q7.

Mike

2013 S8
2012 RX350
Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

We are trading in our 2013 Prestige S-line that has 295/35/21 tires. The car is not yet 3 years old with 47K miles and we are on the 3rd set of tires. No winter or all weather available for these wheels and (as you can tell) the summer performance ones go fast. We have been buying Vredestein Ultrac Vorties which are quieter than the factory tires and last just a bit longer. They are the least expensive ones out there, as well. Anyone considering the 21" wheels should make sure they have all weather or winter tires available for them if they need those. The lack of tire selection came as a surprise to us, but -because we live in coastal NC- it's not such a big deal.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was amazed to see the 21" tires are about $400/ea. I had planned on a set of winter wheels & snows anyway but now I really hope to avoid replacing those summer tires before my lease is up.
The ride with air suspension is surprisingly good on the horrible roads around Boston. I guess I have been used to the harshness of run-flats on other cars the past few years...
It looks like the winter wheels from my old GL will actually fit the new Q7 thanks to the new bolt pattern.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

May be a silly question: considering switching my 20" runflats to 21" non-runflats (2017 prestige). Should the fact that I won't have a spare (and no runflats) be a deal breaker?
Old 03-26-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The slimmer tires are most likely a result of tougher CAFE standards.
pretty sure it is cost cutting or fitting to a narrower body. the competitors have larger wheels and wider than what Audi is currently offering and still meeting cafe standards without issue. audi is the only one with cafe issues currently.

Originally Posted by moncsicsi View Post
We are trading in our 2013 Prestige S-line that has 295/35/21 tires. The car is not yet 3 years old with 47K miles and we are on the 3rd set of tires.
wait and see how many tires you replace now that audi is doing RFT. you're going to have bubbles galore. get the tire warranty. any vehicle with RFT th warranty pays for itself in the first year.

Originally Posted by JZK26 View Post
May be a silly question: considering switching my 20" runflats to 21" non-runflats (2017 prestige). Should the fact that I won't have a spare (and no runflats) be a deal breaker?
noone can predict the future but think back in the last five years. how many times did you use the spare tire? i have owned several vehicles that did not have a spare and i purchased a "space saver spare" for emergency purposes on long trips. i am not sure if audi offers this yet for the 4M Q7 but if i would have purchased the new Q7 i would have taken the RFT off and put standard winter and summer tires on with different wheels and searched for a space-saver set up.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audi supplies a jack, compressor and a can of goo. Of course, I'd never expect my wife to change a tire on the side of the road so she'll call the hotline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: