Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

"NEW" TDI's available from local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default "NEW" TDI's available from local dealer

Interesting... just received an email from my local dealer offering 20% off their inventory of "New" TDI cars... When you go to the website, they have inventory of 2015 and 2016 NEW TDI cars available.
I would assume that these have all been "fixed" and are no longer part of any buy-back program?

Here is the link: New Audi For Sale Orange County | Audi Dealer Near Irvine
What do you all think?

Last edited by timshuwy; 03-19-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: correct link to bold
Old 03-19-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes they are available now. Audi is funding the 20% off MSRP. All of these fixed TDIs will get a 10 year or 120000 mile warranty on emissions related components and the engine long black assembly. We just bought a fixed 2015 Q7 to replace our 2011 that is being bought back. The performance of the fixed TDI seems fine. Very little difference. I hardly notice. IMHO the 20% off is not enough though. If you needed to sell it in a year it would be a 4 year old low mileage vehicle. If you keep it 5 or more years and drive it lots of miles it makes sense.
We bought a fixed used one with 38000 miles but new brakes and tires. Price was nearly 40% off MSRP.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timshuwy
Interesting... just received an email from my local dealer offering 20% off their inventory of "New" TDI cars... When you go to the website, they have inventory of 2015 and 2016 NEW TDI cars available.
I would assume that these have all been "fixed" and are no longer part of any buy-back program?

Here is the link: New Audi For Sale Orange County Audi Dealer Near Irvine
What do you all think?
Audi MV, received same email. 20% is not enough, 2 year old car, plus it's the old body styles for the 2015 Q7 and 15/16 Q5
Old 03-19-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
The performance of the fixed TDI seems fine. Very little difference. I hardly notice.
That's because you haven't driven it long enough to see the huge increase in the amount of DEF consumption over time. If you don't find this off-putting or inconvenient then it is a non-issue, however that will be the big difference with fixed cars....lots of DEF consumption that will require a lot more DEF fill-ups.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by farmerjones
That's because you haven't driven it long enough to see the huge increase in the amount of DEF consumption over time. If you don't find this off-putting or inconvenient then it is a non-issue, however that will be the big difference with fixed cars....lots of DEF consumption that will require a lot more DEF fill-ups.
I expect it WILL use more. Some reports say 40% more. Our 2011 would use about 5 gal in 10,000 miles. I did my own services and DEF refills. If it doubles and I have to fill it in between at 5000 miles, I can live with that. An extra $20. in DEF every 10000 miles ( total of $40.) isn’t a big deal to me. VW Audi should have built them this way and provided a DEF fill hose with each vehicle. Might have discouraged a few buyers but they could have avoided this massively expensive settlement. Not as much trouble as plugging in a Tesla for hours every 300 miles in my opinion.
I will report when the AdBlue needed message comes on. Only 2000 miles in so far.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

In industries such as construction or agriculture DEF consumption in motors is usually referenced by a %....for example, my John Deere combine with a 9.0L consume 2% of the diesel usage in DEF (as a ration). So 100 gallons of diesel burned consumes 2 gallons of DEF. (FYI the machine consumes about 16 gallons per hour on average but under full load can consume 21 gallons per hour).

Any idea of what your % of DEF consumption was on the TDI vehicles before the fix? I'm just curious.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In industries such as construction or agriculture DEF consumption in motors is usually referenced by a %....for example, my John Deere combine with a 9.0L consume 2% of the diesel usage in DEF (as a ration). So 100 gallons of diesel burned consumes 2 gallons of DEF. (FYI the machine consumes about 16 gallons per hour on average but under full load can consume 21 gallons per hour).

Any idea of what your % of DEF consumption was on the TDI vehicles before the fix? I'm just curious.
My A6 long term mileage is 34 mpg or 294 gallons per 10,000 miles. The DEF use was calibrated at 5 gallons per 10,000 miles pre-fix or 1.7% as a ratio of fuel burn. Now post-fix the car is for sale and I most likely won't own it long enough to see what the increase in DEF use is. Audi is providing free DEF fill-ups when needed. The service interval is expected to drop to ~ 7000 miles or so bringing the ratio up to about 2.5%. Home Depot and other retailers sell 2.5 gallon containers of DEF for under $15 so one 2.5 gallon refill should enough to extend the interval back to 10,000 for those who don't want an extra visit to the dealer.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Our 2011 Q7 averaged 24 mpg over long term use. Thus just over 400 gal of diesel fuel in 10000 miles. In that same 10000 miles it would use 5 gal of DEF. Thus DEF consumption was about 1.25%. As mentioned before, if it nearly doubles and requires addition of 5 gal every 5000 miles, I won’t find this to be objectionable. I would still choose diesel over gasoline for its performance and overall efficiency. What is perplexing is why didn’t VW Audi realize that we would buy them anyway? The lie is so much more damaging than a bit more frequent DEF additions would have been.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were doing this at Audi of Silver Spring a few weeks ago but I think most of the TDI cars might be gone now since there was such a huge discount and then employee discounts on top of that. I think most of the employees took advantage of it. Worth a shot to check though.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices on those *new* TDIs are ridiculous. You could buy a 2018 car with better features for those prices

Quick Reply: "NEW" TDI's available from local dealer