Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Night Vision

Old 02-17-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Night Vision

I'm really pondering adding this to my order, but not sure how useful it will be. We live in the burbs, with plenty of deer, fox etc on dark winding two-lane streets. There is some night driving, but short drives to and from people's homes or dropping/picking kids. I've had a few close calls with deer, but no hits yet, but see dead deer all the time. I think I would be ideal candidate for this feature, but am not sure if its very effective and/or is a distraction while driving. If its was $500 I wouldn't think about it and turn it off if I dont like it, but for $2500 I am overthinking this.

Please provide your inputs and though process behind getting/not getting this option. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I live in the areas with lots of wildlifes, I would get it. There are some but we're talking once-a-year encounter.
With Night Vision you also get headlight washers, which I regret not having.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I'm really pondering adding this to my order, but not sure how useful it will be. We live in the burbs, with plenty of deer, fox etc on dark winding two-lane streets. There is some night driving, but short drives to and from people's homes or dropping/picking kids. I've had a few close calls with deer, but no hits yet, but see dead deer all the time. I think I would be ideal candidate for this feature, but am not sure if its very effective and/or is a distraction while driving. If its was $500 I wouldn't think about it and turn it off if I dont like it, but for $2500 I am overthinking this.

Please provide your inputs and though process behind getting/not getting this option. Thanks!
I had it in an A7; it was a cute gimmick at first but over the period of time I owned the car, I used it maybe a dozen times, half of them to show people how it worked. I find a years subscription to XM/Sirius more useful and less expensive.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman View Post
I had it in an A7; it was a cute gimmick at first but over the period of time I owned the car, I used it maybe a dozen times, half of them to show people how it worked. I find a years subscription to XM/Sirius more useful and less expensive.
This is what I'm afraid of too, plus my wife will drive it mostly and will likely not use the feature much.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Out here in Washington people are always darting across the streets and sometimes highways. They also walk in the street I'm certain parts. I put mines on every night if I'm driving. Latest catch was a guy standing really close to the road talking to a truck driver stopped in the incoming lane. Was going downhill so was pitch black ahead but the NV light him up. I almost removed it but I'm glad i didnt. Many highlights and 1 avoid warning so far.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It only takes one hit, one accident to regret not having Night Vision.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265 View Post
It only takes one hit, one accident to regret not having Night Vision.
Have to admit it was hard making a habit of turning on the NV when driving at night, but now that it's a habit I appreciate the added safety that comes with it, even while I'm using other features and it's running in the background. I live in a mostly rural area where deer are plenty- NV sees the deer earlier than I can - It'll pick 'em out on the roadside, outside of headlight range. Years ago my wife and kids hit a deer in our mini van- luckily no one was hurt, but the damage was well over $2500. Night Vision was worth it for us.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had night vision in my S7. As mentioned before, I also viewed it as a gimmick. I thought exactly the same thing regarding deer, etc. Counting on it to prevent hitting them is folly at best. Most people that hit deer due them darting out in front of them from no where. I also felt it was a distraction that I finally shut off to quit looking at it. Just me experience after 2 years in the S7. Also, if you ever bang the front end, it is REALLY expensive to fix. The night vision camera(s) are very sensitive to position. I had a small dent in the front valence and they quoted me big dollars to repair due to the night vision setup. I passed on the repair. You asked for input and that was my experience. I can't remember, but read the fine print. I seem to remember that the alarms would not sense animals...only people. You may see them but no alarms. Just something to check.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here are a few exerpts regarding the system:

""The marking, the gong, and image contrast can be configured via the MMI. Like every assistance system, the night vision assistant also works within certain system limitations. Highlighting of detected pedestrians is switched off at air temperatures above 28 degrees Celsius (82 degrees Fahrenheit), for example.

The image processing software can detect persons at a range of approximately 100 meters (328.08 ft). When analyzing the data, it specifically seeks out human contours and objects that are bright and round their heads, in other words. Detected persons are highlighted with a yellow marking on the display. If the control unit predicts a hazard because a person is walking on the road close to the car, for example, the person is marked in red and a warning gong sounds.

It has an angle of view of 24 degrees, and its protective window is cleaned by a separate nozzle and heated when cold."

Key points:

With a 24 degree view, it limits what is on the side of the road close to you. Also note the alarm limitations. Anyway, just a few more data points in your decision.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love the night vision. It has alerted me a few times to people on the road that i will not have seen. I just hate its narrow field of vision. Usually I need to see what is on the side of the road but the NV only sees straight ahead. So its only useful for looking into the distance. We have a lot of squirrels where i live. Being able to see the sides would make the system perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Night Vision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: