Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Night Vision

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the same thing apply to the headlight washers?

What service would need to be requested from Audi once all parts are installed? What phrase/words would I use to communicate to them to activate night vision?

Last edited by BlackOptics; 05-30-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I have on NV
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NW General Info.pdf (153.7 KB, 90 views)
NW Component location.pdf (175.3 KB, 67 views)
NW Camera overview.pdf (164.2 KB, 101 views)
NV Controller Install.pdf (189.9 KB, 68 views)
NV Camera install.pdf (278.1 KB, 72 views)
NV Calibration.pdf (463.6 KB, 558 views)
NV Diagram.pdf (273.1 KB, 249 views)
NV Connectors.pdf (3.08 MB, 2082 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rafi.kadafi
All I have on NV
Thank you!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have NV on my 2014 A6 TDI. It works from below freezing to very hot. That is the IR camera works, not the recognition system. That's all I need, I use the system to see deer, elk, moose, and occasionally stray cattle on dark rural roads. It works very well for that and has probably saved me once or twice. On a dark country road it illuminates the way about 3X further than headlights. Is it worth it? Yes if it saves you once. I only wish it was mounted just below the HUD. Sometimes it's easier to drive the NV than look out the windshield. Rain, snow and fog make it useless. I'm happy I have it.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the night vision prevents 1 accident, its worth it. Its debatable whether that has happened for me, but I've found it useful a handful of times.

Its use is diminished when hot, on curvy/hilly roads, and it does flash info to the heads up too late and driving while looking at it is obnoxious and likely not safe. All that said I'm glad I have it, but some of the limitations do diminish its value.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its a fancy toy, but I am glad I have it. Driving through the pass (I-90) or other areas (I live in rural WA) where critters are know to cross the road, I can see it being a wise investment.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Good to hear actual users posting about this. this was one option I thought would be great for where I live, but the reviews suggested what you guys are saying. So I never got it, and glad I didnt
I ordered it on my 2017 Q and it has saved me from at least 4 deer where i live at. I live in Central ohio, plus 2 cyclists at nite. I like mine.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have it in a 2011 A8 I bought used. I used to work in military thermal imaging so I LOVE having a FLIR in my car, especially one that has decent delta T performance and doesn't need cryo cooled IR detectors. . Useful?... meh. If it had a HUD (head up display) it would be a lot more useful. It has an amazing ability to distinguish vertically oriented humans from other hot targets and brackets them in yellow markers, even a few blocks ahead in ideal conditions. Remember, you are seeing temp DIFFERENCES. Best situation is a freezing ambient temp and a hot target. On hot or rainy days the delta T is low and you don't see much useful info in your screen image. It's useful in some unexpected situations, like when you are blinded by direct sun. One glance at the screen and you can see what lies ahead. The big disadvantage is the location of the screen. It really needs a head up display so you can see the thermal image while driving. Am I glad I have it? Yes, for nerdy EE reasons. Would I pay big bucks for the option if I were buying new? Nope, not unless it had an HUD.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have it, while it is not as quite as good as MB's version, it is something I am ordering again. Agree w/ b377, having it in heads up would be great.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boeing377
I have it in a 2011 A8 I bought used. I used to work in military thermal imaging so I LOVE having a FLIR in my car, especially one that has decent delta T performance and doesn't need cryo cooled IR detectors. . Useful?... meh. If it had a HUD (head up display) it would be a lot more useful. It has an amazing ability to distinguish vertically oriented humans from other hot targets and brackets them in yellow markers, even a few blocks ahead in ideal conditions. Remember, you are seeing temp DIFFERENCES. Best situation is a freezing ambient temp and a hot target. On hot or rainy days the delta T is low and you don't see much useful info in your screen image. It's useful in some unexpected situations, like when you are blinded by direct sun. One glance at the screen and you can see what lies ahead. The big disadvantage is the location of the screen. It really needs a head up display so you can see the thermal image while driving. Am I glad I have it? Yes, for nerdy EE reasons. Would I pay big bucks for the option if I were buying new? Nope, not unless it had an HUD.

It is a cool neat feature. Useless unless they put it into the HUD, but still cool.
This leads me to question how these features are activated. Why do I need to turn on the night vision. Shouldn't the car know it's dark? Same with the auto high beams. Auto means auto, not remember to turn the high beams to auto.

Quick Reply: Night Vision