Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Night Vision testimony

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the NV on my 2017. The only thing that bugs me about it is that you have to remember to turn it on. I wish it came on automatically whenever the headlights were on.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

It alerted of someone in the road one time. But i saw cops and people darting across the street and walking on dark roads. Well worth the money for me. Especially with pedestrian alert i had
Old 07-27-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be perfect, if NV would be seen on HUD, not only in VC.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

So what slowed down your Q was Presense, and not the NV. I think if a deer leaped in front of any Q it would sound the alarm and hit the brakes. You will notice that Audi advertises this feature in their commercials for the Q5 (except the potential victim is a jogger).

I think for all the reasons OP mentioned, NV is not perfect yet but will get better. Hopefully they will project the hazards on the HUD so you dont endanger yourself even more by staring at the VC
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So what slowed down your Q was Presense, and not the NV. I think if a deer leaped in front of any Q it would sound the alarm and hit the brakes. You will notice that Audi advertises this feature in their commercials for the Q5 (except the potential victim is a jogger).

I think for all the reasons OP mentioned, NV is not perfect yet but will get better. Hopefully they will project the hazards on the HUD so you dont endanger yourself even more by staring at the VC
While not sure, I think NV is like a "early warning system" only. Big animals like deer NV detects quite far away, I would say up to 300 yards, what I have experienced. Never had so critical situation that NV and pre-sence come into action both.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvars
While not sure, I think NV is like a "early warning system" only. Big animals like deer NV detects quite far away, I would say up to 300 yards, what I have experienced. Never had so critical situation that NV and pre-sence come into action both.
My understanding is the NV is a display warning only. Of course if something comes in front of the vehicle the Presense kicks in, just like it would even if the Q did not have NV
Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It would be perfect, if NV would be seen on HUD, not only in VC.
While the NV image does not appear in the HUD, the critical warnings (red triangles) will appear in the HUD when they occur.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
While the NV image does not appear in the HUD, the critical warnings (red triangles) will appear in the HUD when they occur.
There are two kind of triangles, with dear in the middle or human. In fact the same size as pre-sense triangles.
I thought that would be perfect to see the whole picture on HUD as well.
Only problem I see with this, then you will notice quite easy time lag NV has if put over real surroundings.
Also what I have noticed, NV freezes for a second once per 5-10min. Some kind of "memory clearing" takes place
Old 07-28-2017, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are two kind of triangles, with dear in the middle or human. In fact the same size as pre-sense triangles.
I thought that would be perfect to see the whole picture on HUD as well.
Only problem I see with this, then you will notice quite easy time lag NV has if put over real surroundings.
Also what I have noticed, NV freezes for a second once per 5-10min. Some kind of "memory clearing" takes place
Yeah, I don't know if it is practical or even possible for the actual image to appear in the HUD. But it would be nice if the yellow warnings would show up in the HUD to prompt you to look at the image display. As far as I know, the yellow warnings only appear in the VC, not in the HUD.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Yeah, I don't know if it is practical or even possible for the actual image to appear in the HUD. But it would be nice if the yellow warnings would show up in the HUD to prompt you to look at the image display. As far as I know, the yellow warnings only appear in the VC, not in the HUD.
Yellow edges over RoI (Region of Interest, as it is called in CV-computer vision) are not really warnings, they are only drawn to attract your attention and for you to know, system in video frames has identified particular patterns (human or animal) and keeps track of them. Then if RoI's are moving and may cross your trajectory (no matter how far they are) system will draw red edges around RoI and showing of warning triangles (both on HUD and VC) is triggered. This is algorithm in short, how it works.

Last edited by Atvars; 07-28-2017 at 05:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Night Vision testimony