Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Not able to fix driver's door rattling

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not able to fix driver's door rattling

I have brought my 2017 Q7 in the dealership several times (4 to be exact) for an annoying rattle/ vibration noise. It's coming from the window/b-pillar area I think. The dealership tried several times they even replaced the b-pillar interior panel.

The noise is not going away and it's noticeable under low speed on even surface. I also felt that the driver's door closes a little bit different than the other. Like more plastic, or shallow sound. What should I do? Thanks.

I'm not sure if I'll buy Audi again since this issue is bothering me every single day.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by leonana11
I have brought my 2017 Q7 in the dealership several times (4 to be exact) for an annoying rattle/ vibration noise. It's coming from the window/b-pillar area I think. The dealership tried several times they even replaced the b-pillar interior panel.

The noise is not going away and it's noticeable under low speed on even surface. I also felt that the driver's door closes a little bit different than the other. Like more plastic, or shallow sound. What should I do? Thanks.

I'm not sure if I'll buy Audi again since this issue is bothering me every single day.
*uneven surface. Sorry
Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The noise is not going away and it's noticeable under low speed on uneven surface. I also felt that the driver's door closes a little bit different than the other. Like more plastic, or shallow sound. What should I do? Thanks.
Seems like this should be an easy problem to resolve... especially if you tell the dealer that this type of problem will prohibit you from purchasing another Audi. My car is nearly silent while driving. The only noise I hear is when I turn up the AC/Heat fan, when I turn on the Seat Cooling fans (Makes a fan noise), when my grandson leaves a ball rolling around the back seat, or when I turn up the radio... It is the quietest car I have ever owned.
Audi should make it right.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you sure it's not the sunroof? Known rattle issue on early '17's. BTW rattles can be very difficult to locate.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
Seems like this should be an easy problem to resolve... especially if you tell the dealer that this type of problem will prohibit you from purchasing another Audi. My car is nearly silent while driving. The only noise I hear is when I turn up the AC/Heat fan, when I turn on the Seat Cooling fans (Makes a fan noise), when my grandson leaves a ball rolling around the back seat, or when I turn up the radio... It is the quietest car I have ever owned.
Audi should make it right.
What about seat belts clanking against the plastic pillars when no one is buckled in? I find our seatbelts are very big and can be a little annoying at times.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Q7 has a similar rattle noise when going over bumps or uneven surface. The noise is like something is shaking or ticking.

In my case, after months of tracking down the noise, I finally found a way to temporarily eliminate it -> if I roll down the driver side window just a notch (moved down just a little, but not open), the noise disappears (or decreases if the bump is big).

I have been to the dealer three times for this, and they said they "could not reproduce it".
Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Fixed!

Originally Posted by discogone
My Q7 has a similar rattle noise when going over bumps or uneven surface. The noise is like something is shaking or ticking.

In my case, after months of tracking down the noise, I finally found a way to temporarily eliminate it -> if I roll down the driver side window just a notch (moved down just a little, but not open), the noise disappears (or decreases if the bump is big).

I have been to the dealer three times for this, and they said they "could not reproduce it".
I had same problem with my 2017 Q7 prestige. The dealer applied some kind moisturizer/oil on all gasgets around doors. That's all it took to fix it.
The problem was to the dry gasgets rubbing against the door frames/chassis.
​​​​​
Old 02-25-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by discogone

Same here, it comes every so often, but mostly not there and it goes away as you describe. Another thread on the forum discusses possible fixes for this, it seems to me that your experience is in line with the suggested fixes/workarounds. (This issue is distinct from -- and has noting to do with -- the sunroof rattle; mine doesn't rattle, unfortunately my 12 Q7 had that problem.)
Old 03-17-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same experience here. Went and drove with the Dealer Tech 4x and finally it got fixed. All days I went I was given a Q7 loaner and 1 of them has the same issue. Here’s what they have tried.
1. Window regulator was adjusted- not fixed
2. Window seal was replaced- not fixed
3. A part was ordered and was replaced inside the door- maybe tensioner: lasted 2 weeks
4. Tech called for support. He said he was told from their headquarters that this is a known issue with VW.

*** Theres rubber seals around the door and body frame. This has to be sealed tight to create a vacuum when the door is closed. He lubricated this seals. Not sure what he used but my rubber seals looks like with clear film painted on them. The tech told me that if the rubber seals are not completely engaged to each other this will create vibration leading to the tapping noise by the window near the B pillar. So far going to 2 months it’s been noise free. This experience was initially awful for my first time having an Audi but now it’s all been great again .
Old 03-18-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaromeo3
Same experience here. Went and drove with the Dealer Tech 4x and finally it got fixed. All days I went I was given a Q7 loaner and 1 of them has the same issue. Here’s what they have tried.
1. Window regulator was adjusted- not fixed
2. Window seal was replaced- not fixed
3. A part was ordered and was replaced inside the door- maybe tensioner: lasted 2 weeks
4. Tech called for support. He said he was told from their headquarters that this is a known issue with VW.

*** Theres rubber seals around the door and body frame. This has to be sealed tight to create a vacuum when the door is closed. He lubricated this seals. Not sure what he used but my rubber seals looks like with clear film painted on them. The tech told me that if the rubber seals are not completely engaged to each other this will create vibration leading to the tapping noise by the window near the B pillar. So far going to 2 months it’s been noise free. This experience was initially awful for my first time having an Audi but now it’s all been great again .
Thanks for the information. Are you able to take pictures of those rubber seal areas you were referring to? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Not able to fix driver's door rattling