Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Now the Q7 may have some competition...

Old 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Now the Q7 may have some competition...

In the race for who can pack the most technology into an SUV. The new Discovery was revealed at the Paris auto show yesterday and Land Rover released this video: (warning - it's 13 minutes long) I just priced it out, and like the Q7, a Discovery with all these features is $80K. Add $440 to order the optional full size spare tire on matching alloy wheel instead of the standard donut spare.

https://landrover.ssl.cdn.sdlmedia.com/7559.mp4

Last edited by Paul3.2A4avant; 09-29-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
In the race for who can pack the most technology into an SUV. The new Discovery was revealed at the Paris auto show yesterday and Land Rover released this video: (warning - it's 13 minutes long) I just priced it out, and like the Q7, a Discovery with all these features is $80K. Add $440 to order the optional full size spare tire on matching alloy wheel instead of the standard donut spare.

Before Q7, I had a LR Discovery Sport (baby version of this new Discovery) for just a few months, and it was declared as a lemon and returned to manufacturer.

I now have settled with my Q7.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by discogone
Before Q7, I had a LR Discovery Sport (baby version of this new Discovery) for just a few months, and it was declared as a lemon and returned to manufacturer.

I now have settled with my Q7.
This new Discovery is also significantly slower (0-60 time of 6.8 seconds). Wonder what the third row leg room happens to be? Looks to be more expensive than the Q7 as well... $75k for similarly spec'd to my $61k Q7... But it does look nice...
Old 09-29-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOA!....whats going on with that rear quarter area. Swooping butt in the air.
They are parts binning Jaguar's in-control infotainment system minus the cool instrument panel. I don't really see the advantage of flipping seats up and down with with a phone app but it is a cool party trick.
Looks like they are heading in the right direction. I have a soft spot for British cars. Jaguar and Rover are worlds apart in reliability. Jaguar's is the better of the two but I am sure they are going to be working closer in the future so both brands improve.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When Ford had their yard sale, Jaguar and Land Rover were both purchased by Tata, which is some huge conglomerate based in India that owns hundreds of companies. I have read that they have deep pockets and can infuse the cash that Jaguar and Land Rover need to improve reliability. That is why you see the parts sharing. Not sure who Ford sold Volvo to, I think it was a Chinese company.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

When Ford had their yard sale, Jaguar and Land Rover were both purchased by Tata, which is some huge conglomerate based in India that owns hundreds of companies. I have read that they have deep pockets and can infuse the cash that Jaguar and Land Rover need to improve reliability. That is why you see the parts sharing. Not sure who Ford sold Volvo to, I think it was a Chinese company.
It was Zhejiang Geely Holding Group.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

cool...great off-road capabilities as expected but never been a fan of the interior design
Old 09-29-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by adamvincent617
Wonder what the third row leg room happens to be? Looks to be more expensive than the Q7 as well... $75k for similarly spec'd to my $61k Q7... But it does look nice...
According to the Discovery spec book, third row leg room in 33.5". And there is an option to get heated third row seats.

Pricing a Prestige Q7 with air suspension and a Discovery HSE Lux, (air suspension standard) I was at $70K for both.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting - the '16 version appears to have fairly high owner satisfaction, despite the low road tests and ratings....

Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zekeman
Interesting - the '16 version appears to have fairly high owner satisfaction, despite the low road tests and ratings....

The info you got is "Discovery Sport" (which is what I had before Q7), it is the baby version (or pilot version) of the bigger Discovery, which is what the OP referred to.

At least for me, I know I did not vote for the owner satisfaction like that.

Last edited by discogone; 09-29-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Now the Q7 may have some competition...