Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Oem running boards

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oem running boards

Adding them to a car build in their system costs $1200, but buying them from the parts site is $2144, wtf??? I’d still have to pay someone to install them. Part NPN071084

Any way to get them cheaper, or recommended 3rd party ones?
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by the dealership that adding them on after the building process would void the warranty because of "balancing" issues, or something like that. Even if it was done by Audi at the port, still voids warranty.

So be careful with that, unless I was told a load of BS. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that, if they were told the same thing or did so otherwise and had no issues.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
I was told by the dealership that adding them on after the building process would void the warranty because of "balancing" issues, or something like that. Even if it was done by Audi at the port, still voids warranty.

So be careful with that, unless I was told a load of BS. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that, if they were told the same thing or did so otherwise and had no issues.
You were supplied with a full heaping of BS. How on this earth could running boards void any warranty? And, if that was the case why would they be for sale from the parts counter?

Last edited by NABS4; 03-07-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

That price is just silly. Others have mentioned that due to the lower vehicle height, that you tend to just get your legs dirty brushing up against them since you don't typically need to step up to get into the Q's.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
That price is just silly. Others have mentioned that due to the lower vehicle height, that you tend to just get your legs dirty brushing up against them since you don't typically need to step up to get into the Q's.
unless u are 3 and 6 like my kids... went with the all black diamond shaped pattern romiks. Too bad cause it’s low I have to have broadfeet make me custom bumper guard brackets. At least I live close enough to just drive to them.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like we use the same dealer when it comes to passing loads of BS. Never heard that one, but price seems like very high...
Old 03-17-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

My guess is those dealers would have a harder time selling a used vehicle with the running boards, so they are encouraging you not to get them, in case it comes back to them for sale. Or perhaps they've never installed them before, and would rather not learn either (price and reservation to do the work smells of this).
Old 03-17-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I was told by the dealership that adding them on after the building process would void the warranty because of "balancing" issues,
I think I would have LOL'd at his face.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I did look into this. For our MDX I had installed them myself and it was easy. For Q7 you need to cut at several places the under-side body plate. When you order your car with them they are installed at the factory but when you want them afterwards it's a lot of work to do them at dealer, hence the extra cost. Plus you loos that nice seal at the underbody and I skipped them. My kids (6&8) use the door sill to get in/out and I covered that area with some material. The biggest issue for me was them stepping over the door sill wrap as I felt over time it will be torn.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Meyerovich

unless u are 3 and 6 like my kids... went with the all black diamond shaped pattern romiks. Too bad cause it’s low I have to have broadfeet make me custom bumper guard brackets. At least I live close enough to just drive to them.
My kids are the same age, and I also thought about running boards but the ridiculous OEM price had me pass on them. Thank you for Romik recommendation, I went with the all-black diamond RAL boards found them even cheaper on Auto Anything (with 21% coupon) which came out to a little over $500 a set plus tax. I will probably use the same auto shop which I usually use to install add-ons, should not be too difficult with the Romik video.

Quick Reply: Oem running boards