Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Oil Change Message

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Change Message

I took deliveyr of my Q last October. I am getting a message that an oil change is due in 25 Days.

I have a little under 4,500 miles on the car. So it's my first oil change and I expect that this is free as per all the literature. The oil level is within the range but towards the bottom of the graphic.

As I don't drive much and do a lot of shot trips I guess this is the reason why the computer is saying change the oil at around 5K miles. Does the computer really factor all this in or is 5K the first recommended oil change?

Can I anticipate a longer interval between oil changes ( like 7,500 miles or one year) now that this first oil has been changed and the vehicle break-in is behind us.

Thanks

EDIT: Just looked at the warranty book which has the maintenance schedule and it says 10,000 or one year. Just talked to Audi service and I have to wait until one year for the free oil change. Asked if it was ok to go over the on board message to change the oil next month and was told it would be OK.

Appreciate your thoughts

Last edited by GBMILTON; 07-08-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
I took deliveyr of my Q last October. I am getting a message that an oil change is due in 25 Days.

I have a little under 4,500 miles on the car. So it's my first oil change and I expect that this is free as per all the literature. The oil level is within the range but towards the bottom of the graphic.

As I don't drive much and do a lot of shot trips I guess this is the reason why the computer is saying change the oil at around 5K miles. Does the computer really factor all this in or is 5K the first recommended oil change?

Can I anticipate a longer interval between oil changes ( like 7,500 miles or one year) now that this first oil has been changed and the vehicle break-in is behind us.

Thanks

EDIT: Just looked at the warranty book which has the maintenance schedule and it says 10,000 or one year. Just talked to Audi service and I have to wait until one year for the free oil change. Asked if it was ok to go over the on board message to change the oil next month and was told it would be OK.

Appreciate your thoughts
You would have to pay for the oil change if you want it now. I'd say its worth it
Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The service reminder goes by time or mileage whichever comes first. In your case, your car only has 4,500 miles but the service reminder is telling you to change oil in 25 days. This only means that your car went through PDI late in July last year when it went into service. Normally, the car is prepped and activated into service only at sale time which is when the service counter starts. Your 1 year is obviously this October. Based on how much you drive, you'll probably be just over 6,000 miles by that time. In my thoughts, this is still OK. It certainly does not hurt to change your oil earlier if you like but you have to pay out of pocket for that. With your one year coming up in October, it does not make sense to have an oil change again after a couple of months.

For us who do not pile up miles in our cars every year, I typically just take it in for service based on the time interval as per the maintenance schedule which always includes an oil change aside from other visual checks. I got Audi Care for my S5 so the services are pre-paid for 4 years after the first free service.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, the car is looking for its first oil change at the 365 day mark. That's what their rule says if you wish to maintain warranty coverage.

Audi should pay for it regardless of the low accumulated mileage.