Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Optic black 21” all season tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optic black 21” all season tires

I know this option is new, but in general how those low profile all season tires on heavy snow in NJ? Any experience? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smileyfacesun
I know this option is new, but in general how those low profile all season tires on heavy snow in NJ? Any experience? Thanks!
Nobody has seen or used the 21” All season tires yet. When do we get heavy snow in NJ? That’s a super rare occasion.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Nobody has seen or used the 21” All season tires yet. When do we get heavy snow in NJ? That’s a super rare occasion.
so I was asking in general how does low profile tire on snow. plus, we usually do get a few heavy snow each year in NJ, of course it depends on how you defines heavy.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default BUMP -- also waiting on any info RE: factory 21" all-season

From what I've seen in this forum and others, am waiting (and hoping) for the first *official post by someone that got the 21" all-season tires with their BOP, concerning details about the tires (clearly they need to be 285/40R21). I saw on another thread that a "dealer" had apparently stated that the tires were Michelin. Cannot confirm or deny, but that's what was read.

After many many searches, not a single detail concerning this kind of tire -- in America or otherwise. Called Michelin to inquire -- they had no idea. Clearly, these tires are going to be a magic carpet, and getting them feels like shopping for the same.

Thanks, all...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
From what I've seen in this forum and others, am waiting (and hoping) for the first *official post by someone that got the 21" all-season tires with their BOP, concerning details about the tires (clearly they need to be 285/40R21). I saw on another thread that a "dealer" had apparently stated that the tires were Michelin. Cannot confirm or deny, but that's what was read.

After many many searches, not a single detail concerning this kind of tire -- in America or otherwise. Called Michelin to inquire -- they had no idea. Clearly, these tires are going to be a magic carpet, and getting them feels like shopping for the same.

Thanks, all...
I have seen another thread on this forum that showed a link to a European offering for a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season (not the Plus version) in 285/40R21. Not sure if the link will come thru, but it appears to be showing on Pirelli's website now (note, fwiw, the link references EU Label: https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...#EULabel-modal. I have not yet called this to the attention of either my dealer or Tire Rack to see if those are available stateside yet.

I did read a preview of the new Porsche Cayenne recently. It appeared to be wearing Michelin 285/40R21 rubber on the front, but I think they were summer only tires too. Maybe another model with that size spec will help for more option going forward . . .
Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audigirl - keep us posted, but those appear to be summer, not all season, tires. Hard to tell, but that bottom pic sure looks like summer only tread.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNVol
Audigirl - keep us posted, but those appear to be summer, not all season, tires. Hard to tell, but that bottom pic sure looks like summer only tread.
Ah. Ok will do! Sure would be nice to have that info.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TNVol
yeah, that looks like the goodyear f1 summer. Seems some in the US have these while others have the Conti.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smileyfacesun
so I was asking in general how does low profile tire on snow. plus, we usually do get a few heavy snow each year in NJ, of course it depends on how you defines heavy.
I’m in NYC and have the 21” OEMs, put winters of that size on last year. They did well. Deepest I had them in was a foot or so on unplowed roads in VT. Did a lot of driving in snow in NY+VT, even the wife noticed how well the car handled in snow, she normally never does.

I do not like all seasons, to me, jack of all trades. Had them on my two previous Q7s (I know, the 4M is different, but still…). Opted for the 21” because I knew that I wanted summer+winter setup and consulting with dealers in Europe (where the 4M already went through the 15-16 winter) confirmed that 21” all seasons weren’t recommended if regularly driving in snow and ice.

Sizes of the winters is somewhat a matter of preference, many do downsize, do you need chains etc., but you can safely mount a winter tire on the 21” if you don’t want a separate winter wheel package and experience good performance in snow.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting -- will check it out

Quick Reply: Optic black 21” all season tires