Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Optimum gloss coat

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimum gloss coat

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/ocoat1.php

Has anyone ever used this? Our local xpel installer uses this product. We initially were looking at opticoat pro plus.

Wondering how these products compare.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how they compare. I have Opticoat pro plus together with Suntek PPF and am very happy...
Old 11-07-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Eric, the Pro version is what you're after. I've got the Gloss Coat on a car and it doesn't look like it's holding up at all. Frankly, I'm very surprised.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Eric, the Pro version is what you're after. I've got the Gloss Coat on a car and it doesn't look like it's holding up at all. Frankly, I'm very surprised.
thanks, so opticoat pro plus is just the professional, premium version of Optimum gloss coat with albeit much better longevity and effectiveness?

My plan was to have the opticoat pro plus coating installed over the xpel ultimate.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The Gloss Coat is a newer product, as I understand it. I've used it very recently and am a bit surprised at what I see just a couple weeks after application Others report poor longevity.

The pro product is tried and true. Don't know about applying it over Xpel.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is fine to go over Xpel...I have it over Suntek...What colour is your Q7? Xpel can been seen from some angles if it is over a dark colour like black...Suntek doesnt have this same issue.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bjc2974
It is fine to go over Xpel...I have it over Suntek...What colour is your Q7? Xpel can been seen from some angles if it is over a dark colour like black...Suntek doesnt have this same issue.
Tofana White.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

white is easy although you wont get a deep rich gloss like you do on dark colours.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I optimum gloss coated by new graphite grey Q7 two weeks ago. There is no-one close by that will do a good job with opti-pro, ceramic pro, etc for much less than $2k and take your car for a week. So for convenience and cost I thought I would do it myself since I routinely wax my cars at least once a year anyway but never used a coating. Overall I'm pretty pleased so far but some notes.

1) I have the metallic graphite grey which hides imperfections well. After wash and clay bar, I really only needed to spot polish a few spots before coating. I would imagine a flat black or blue would need a lot more prep.
2) The coating goes on easily but I could tell the instructions to use 3 drops per section were not enough. I read a post on one of the detailing forums stating to use around 2X that amount by the guy that wrote the original instructions. Also, high spots are difficult to see on the grey, but could be an issue with the darker flat colors. I ended up doing 2 coats.

Looks good and feels very slick. Bugs and the like wipe right off with ufiber cloth. Only time will tell how robust the coating is, but for $50 and a few hours I'm pretty pleased at this point.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EricNCSU1204
thanks, so opticoat pro plus is just the professional, premium version of Optimum gloss coat with albeit much better longevity and effectiveness?

My plan was to have the opticoat pro plus coating installed over the xpel ultimate.
- Optimum gloss - DIY coat; short longevity; needs periodic reapplication
- Optimum basic - DIY single coat; multi-year longevity
- Optimum Pro - a thicker coat; only available installed by a detailer shop; multi-year longevity
- Optimum Pro Plus - a coat applied over the Pro product; adds additional gloss and slickness; multi-year longevity

All of these products can be installed over film; best when installed over Xpel Ultimate film which has its own clear coat layer like the paint.

Quick Reply: Optimum gloss coat