Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Ordering a Q7 2018 Prestige- Luxury Option Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ordering a Q7 2018 Prestige- Luxury Option Question

I am on the verge of ordering a 2018 Q7 Prestige. The local dealer has two allocations, with one of them sold. So I can order the second. Looking at the options, I plan to include:
- Driver Assistance Package
- Cold Weather Package
- Towing Package

I am wondering about adding the luxury package. I have not seen the individual contour seats included with this package (dealer doesn't have a Q7 with these seats, and there no other dealer close) and am concerned, from the pictures that I find in the Audi information, that the side bolsters would be very confining. That may just be my impression and not really the case. Can anyone comment on these seats and how they compare with the standard seats?

In addition to the type of seats is the upgrade in leather worth the added cost? I know that is very subjective but I would like to hear peoples opinions. I do like the cedar brown vs the nougat brown but I believe it requires the luxury package to get this color interior.

I buy cars new and hold onto them for a long time. The last one was 14 years, so it is likely that I'll end up holding on to this one too. I don't do as much driving as I did in the past so I imaging will only put 10k miles on out a year. This could be my last car (I'm 65), at least that is what my wife says.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I sat in a Q7 with the luxury package, and frankly the difference was not very pronounced to me (except the black alcantara headliner). The extended leather only extends to the bottom half of the doors and there is no leather on the dash. To me the seats and leather difference was not huge enough to matter. I didnt care for the auto closing doors (and now they are included in the Prestige anyway)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I sat in a Q7 with the luxury package, and frankly the difference was not very pronounced to me (except the black alcantara headliner). The extended leather only extends to the bottom half of the doors and there is no leather on the dash. To me the seats and leather difference was not huge enough to matter. I didnt care for the auto closing doors (and now they are included in the Prestige anyway)
pisses me off that it came a year later, auto closing doors !!! bought the prestige 2017. i think air suspension is worth it.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Haha, I got mine last month and now you can get the auto close!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I am on the verge of ordering a 2018 Q7 Prestige. The local dealer has two allocations, with one of them sold. So I can order the second. Looking at the options, I plan to include:
- Driver Assistance Package
- Cold Weather Package
- Towing Package

I am wondering about adding the luxury package. I have not seen the individual contour seats included with this package (dealer doesn't have a Q7 with these seats, and there no other dealer close) and am concerned, from the pictures that I find in the Audi information, that the side bolsters would be very confining. That may just be my impression and not really the case. Can anyone comment on these seats and how they compare with the standard seats?

In addition to the type of seats is the upgrade in leather worth the added cost? I know that is very subjective but I would like to hear peoples opinions. I do like the cedar brown vs the nougat brown but I believe it requires the luxury package to get this color interior.

I buy cars new and hold onto them for a long time. The last one was 14 years, so it is likely that I'll end up holding on to this one too. I don't do as much driving as I did in the past so I imaging will only put 10k miles on out a year. This could be my last car (I'm 65), at least that is what my wife says.

Thanks for any replies.
Im about to order a Prestige 2018 as well. I had an opportunity to sit in a luxury and non luxury package and I personally could feel a huge difference in the seats. I also really want the cedar interior as I don't really care for the Nougat brown. To me the seats felt way more comfortable so I am going for the luxury package then you add in the massage function with that Alcantara everywhere, forget about it, looks so dang hoooooot! Also 1 thing to keep in mind and you may already know this, that the luxury package will now be $500 cheaper as they threw the soft close door cost over to the Prestige package.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Honestly, the Luxury package is a no no. Acantara is something that is a bit of a scam. It is harder to maintain, gets dusty/dirty easier, and is extremely hard to clean. The massaging seats are nice, but you could easily purchase a $200 back massage seat and use it in your Q7. Now that the soft closing doors is standard on Prestige, I'd use the money for the Luxury package to purchase the Air suspension. The difference from spring and air is quite big, not to mention the 4-wheel steering.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by itiongo
Honestly, the Luxury package is a no no. Acantara is something that is a bit of a scam. It is harder to maintain, gets dusty/dirty easier, and is extremely hard to clean. The massaging seats are nice, but you could easily purchase a $200 back massage seat and use it in your Q7. Now that the soft closing doors is standard on Prestige, I'd use the money for the Luxury package to purchase the Air suspension. The difference from spring and air is quite big, not to mention the 4-wheel steering.
How is Alcantara a scam? Thats like saying paying for metallic paint is a scam. And I currently have Alcantara I'm my car and love it. It makes the interior pop like crazy and adds an extra luxury touch to the interior. Plus properly coating alcantara from day one makes care a ton easier. I also want to mention that it is in the door inserts A, B, C pillars and roof which are not "high traffic areas and should not get many stains. I currently have a 4 and 6 year old in my S7 constantly and haven't had any issues with the Alcantara.

My advice to the OP is find a luxury package and determine whether it is worth it or not. I know you said that would be difficult however on a $80K it would probably be worth the hassle.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

If metallic paint cost $5k extra, then I'd say it's also a scam. It comes down to preference. I am going to be shuttling a lot of kids. Ranging from 1-9. I don't mind having Alcantara, but given the choice to purchase it, I would not. I purchased my Q7 used.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Other than the seat color, cedar brown, I don't see the luxury package adding any real value for me for $5500. I am leaning towards the adaptive chassis to improve the ride and to also be able to control the vehicle height when needed.

Audi's limited selection for interior colors suck, dark brown, black, gray and beige. No good choices so not sure what to select. Cedar brown is a little lighter with a slight amount of red. But not worth $5500 by itself. My favorite is a Porsche Garnet Red but that would add about $9K, if I remember correctly.

Have settled on Ink Blue exterior as first choice and Cobra Beige as second.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
Other than the seat color, cedar brown, I don't see the luxury package adding any real value for me for $5500. I am leaning towards the adaptive chassis to improve the ride and to also be able to control the vehicle height when needed.

Audi's limited selection for interior colors suck, dark brown, black, gray and beige. No good choices so not sure what to select. Cedar brown is a little lighter with a slight amount of red. But not worth $5500 by itself. My favorite is a Porsche Garnet Red but that would add about $9K, if I remember correctly.

Have settled on Ink Blue exterior as first choice and Cobra Beige as second.
Well as people have said, with the luxury package you get more leather and an upgraded headliner. And upgraded leather. And massage seats. I opted for the B&O, and adaptive suspension and decided at the time the sticker was high enough I'd skip the luxury package. In hindsight I wish I would have gotten it as I keep a car for a long time and find the leather somewhat sparse.

Quick Reply: Ordering a Q7 2018 Prestige- Luxury Option Question