Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Ordering a Q7 2018 Prestige- Luxury Option Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by itiongo
Honestly, the Luxury package is a no no. Acantara is something that is a bit of a scam. It is harder to maintain, gets dusty/dirty easier, and is extremely hard to clean. The massaging seats are nice, but you could easily purchase a $200 back massage seat and use it in your Q7. Now that the soft closing doors is standard on Prestige, I'd use the money for the Luxury package to purchase the Air suspension. The difference from spring and air is quite big, not to mention the 4-wheel steering.
Originally Posted by djpeaksd
How is Alcantara a scam? Thats like saying paying for metallic paint is a scam. And I currently have Alcantara I'm my car and love it. It makes the interior pop like crazy and adds an extra luxury touch to the interior. Plus properly coating alcantara from day one makes care a ton easier. I also want to mention that it is in the door inserts A, B, C pillars and roof which are not "high traffic areas and should not get many stains. I currently have a 4 and 6 year old in my S7 constantly and haven't had any issues with the Alcantara.

My advice to the OP is find a luxury package and determine whether it is worth it or not. I know you said that would be difficult however on a $80K it would probably be worth the hassle.
I agree. Alcantera seems to be very durable and most anything wipes up with just water. I have it on my 2012 S4 and it shows no wear from 5 years of daily driving and hard core track use. I recommend it.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you choose the luxury package over the adaptive chassis?

Living in the midwest with crappy roads I am under the assumption that the air suspension will help in the ride as well lower/raise the height for entry exit. Do you feel a benefit from this package?

I am finalizing my order tomorrow and have selected the adaptive chassis at this point. I am still up in the air on the luxury package as well as 20"/21" wheels.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe

Living in the midwest with crappy roads I am under the assumption that the air suspension will help in the ride as well lower/raise the height for entry exit. Do you feel a benefit from this package?

I am finalizing my order tomorrow and have selected the adaptive chassis at this point. I am still up in the air on the luxury package as well as 20"/21" wheels.
I would pick the adaptive and 4 wheel steering over the lux pack. I think it will be more fucntional
Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Definitely adaptive chassis. Changing lanes with it is such a different feeling. With all 4 wheels turning, it almost feels like you are just sliding over into the next lane.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Definitely adaptive chassis. Changing lanes with it is such a different feeling. With all 4 wheels turning, it almost feels like you are just sliding over into the next lane.
Thank you. My wife already accuses me of sliding into the other lane, but now I will have an excuse!

How much does the air suspension raise and lower the car? I can't find that information anywhere on the Audi website.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, the luxury package....

The thing is this, overall few owners here actually have the package as it is definitely not inexpensive and many would say (sensibly so) to check off other option boxes before spending $6k (now $5500) on "luxury" amenities on an already luxury vehicle. I agree, do not leave off true function options you want in order to get it.

I have the package (going on 1 year now) so will be happy to give you some observations. I should also add that I have spent a full week in the 2.0 premium plus Q7 and a full week in a 3.0 base premium Q7, so I would like to think enough time in all trim levels to give a good comparison (actually I am writing up a detail review of the 2.0 experience as I know many are curious how that model is compared to the 3.0, thats coming soon).

So, the Luxury package is expensive for sure. Is it worth it? Thats subjective and dependent on what you are expecting out of it. I personally feel it was well worth it, and please know that I am not saying that because I have it. I would have no problem surrendering to making a mistake if I felt that way, that said, I can see why others may feel the cost does not make sense.

I do not believe you mentioned what color interior you are getting. As far as "visual impact" with the luxury package, this is going to play a bit of a part. If its an all black interior going to the luxury package does not have as much visual impact change as the cedar brown, gray or beige interiors with the luxury package do.

An example. The 2.0 I had a for a week had a standard gray interior (2.0 interiors are same as 3.0s except have a silver color trim detail where the 3.0 have gloss black trim). While I have criticized the extended leather for not being "luxurious" enough in the Luxury package, I now 100% take that back. Going from my week in the standard gray interior back to my luxury cedar and black interior w alcantara felt like going from a Toyota Camry into a Masarati. The textured plastic everywhere (door panels, center console, door handles / arm rests) just felt cheap once I got back into mine. Really for $64k P+, its a bit rediculous Audi could not up some of these materials a bit and not charge for it. Yes, I would prefer if the full leather were a little padded or had a little more contrast to the stitching, but even still, its night and day. Another forum member above mentioned that the luxury package extended leather only adds leather to the lower door panels. This is not true. It is on the lower door panels, but also on the door handles, the center console side panels, top section behind center armrests. All these areas are stitched as well. The upper door panels get a bit of alcantara.

Speaking of alcantara, I completely disagree with the member that said alcantara is hard to keep clean. Its been the total opposite. If you make a rub on a door panel or in cargo area and make a mark it swipes right off with a wipe of your hand almost like magic. Try doing this on regular headliner material, and could smear right into it. I have two young kid and my alcantara looks like day 1 a year later.

The seats. Again, subjective as we are all different body type and sizes. There is a big difference in the seats however in both the leather and if nothing else just in all the custom adjustability. Remember, its not just the power front thigh leg extender, you also have power side bolsters on the seats and power side bolster on the seat back. I said nearly a year ago that "to me" the seats were alone worth the entire price of the package and again after spending time in the standard Q7 seats (including one day with 6 hours of driving road trip), I stick by that 100%. The massage feature is not some dumb joke roller gimmick. Its quite good with several different programs and within each program the massage itself varies and changes. Does anyone "need this" no way, but it is nice.

Soft close doors: Well, its moot as all prestige are getting it now. I do have to say, after the week in the 2.0, I see now what many are talking about having a hard time closing the doors. It was driving my wife nuts on that long 1 day road trip. Granted, we are now used to the soft close.

A note on the adaptive suspension and 4 wheel steering. Its great and I would now not buy without it. However, I would not feel this way had I just taken a test drive around a dealership in a standard suspension and then in an adaptive as they will not feel much different in that kind of drive. You have to drive your daily commute or routine in both types for a period of time to really understand the difference. That said, nothing at all wrong with the standard suspension (especially on the highway, not far off from adaptive). Surface streets, another story. Keep in mind, tires also have a part in this. If you get 20s they have run flats. This also affects the ride. Typically larger the tire the worse the ride, but not in this case since the 21s are not runflats. I am totally spoiled as to me the best ride is the combo of adaptive and 21s. Next in line would be 20" runflats with adaptive, then last 20" runflat with springs. Again, all are really good though and depending on what your coming from, could all be bumped to excellent for you.

Hope this is of some help. Other then the factual stuff, just one guys opinion, but an opinion through experience with these different trims. Whatever you decide, enjoy!!

Last edited by Meyecul; 06-08-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is so little information available on Audi's websites on the functionality of their options. How adjustable are the bolsters on the luxury seats? One of my concerns is that they would be too firm and constraining but are they adjustable? What are the extra adjustments that come wth the luxury seats?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Spaceframe;24982058]There is so little information available on Audi's websites on the functionality of their options. How adjustable are the bolsters on the luxury seats? One of my concerns is that they would be too firm and constraining but are they adjustable? What are the extra adjustments that come wth the luxury seats?

The luxury seats have all the same front to back, seat height and tilt, seat back angle and lumbar pressure (inflate/ deflate) as the standard. I do not recall if the standard had lumbar height adjustment as I never touched it in either of the 1 week loaners I had. The lumbar is height adjustable in the luxury seats. Additionally you have a nicer leather (valcona). It has a buttery feel like a "Coach" type leather. Not that there is anything at wrong w the standard leather, it's fine, just a bit more texture to it. Also w the luxury you have full power adjustment to extend the front leg thigh bolster (the front edge of seat moves forward to custom fit into the backs of your knees). Then you have full power to adjust the angle of the two side seat bolsters and angle of the two side seat back bolsters. This is not an inflation type that changes firmness. It's a hugging type as the bolsters actually adjust inward to give you that custom squeeze fit.

Keep in mind these are not audi "sport" seats that are going to give you a firmer feel like you sometimes here about in "S" audis models. They are comfort contour seats and while the standard seats are comfortable to me (though I had some fatigue on the longer road trip I mentioned), the luxury seats are more comfortable with out a doubt. When I bought mine I had to pick up out out of state. My near 4 hour drive home felt like a 20 min trip. First time in the seats taking such a long drive one would think the opposite, but I had zero fatigue and felt fresh as when I started the journey home.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The standard seats in the Prestige do have lumbar height adjustment.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. My wife already accuses me of sliding into the other lane, but now I will have an excuse!

How much does the air suspension raise and lower the car? I can't find that information anywhere on the Audi website.
It's probably about 3 or 4 inches. It is definitely noticeable. I took mine up some pretty rugged fire roads and it made a difference in off-road mode.

Quick Reply: Ordering a Q7 2018 Prestige- Luxury Option Question